Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel start problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Charlie83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel start problem
    Posted: August-15-2004 at 8:16pm
My 83 2001 351 PCM w/Holly 4B doesn't get enough fuel to start at initial launch, regardless of the number of throttle pumps. Priming the secondary with about 1/3 cup makes it start right up and it runs fine the rest of the day. Well, almost. If the engine is off for a few minutes, I have to apply throttle to get it to start again. I replaced the external fuel filter element but the problem persists. No gas appears in the fuel sight tube and I've not tested the fuel pressure. Any guidance would be appreciated. Charlie
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2004 at 2:21am
Sounds like your Fuel pump is weak. After you put a little engine vacuum on it after the "primed" start it begins to work and get's gas up to the carb???

Applying the throttle again is normal since your accelerator pump squirts in the fuel for a start. After a few minutes the "fumes" are all gone so the engine needs a little help so I always give one pump just to make for a quicker start.

Check the pump is my 2 cents.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2004 at 1:44pm
are you pumping with the boat in the "out of gear position"? i pump ours with the gear selector in the "in gear position" and then put it back out of gear before i hit the ignition. this allows you to stomp it to floor so to say. good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic