Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BIG OIL LEAK

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIG OIL LEAK
    Posted: July-26-2004 at 3:48am
Problem with my 1980 ski nautique w/ the 351 windsor engine (reverse rotation). I replaced the rear main seal (2 piece - lip towards front of engine), oil pan gasket, front main; and the engine still leaks a quart or two a day . I also am able to see it leak down the front of the bell housing.

Also, they say the rear main seals for RH rotation engines are different from LH. I have seen the differences in the front main seal; however, the rear seals look to be exactly the same. Anyone know what the differences are? (two piece seal)

If anyone has any other ideas, please e-mail me at jim@jagcreations.com. I have heard of "seal savers / speedy seals" however, do not know much about them.

Thanks,

Jim Gwisdala Jr.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2004 at 5:16pm
Even under the best of conditions, replacing a rear main seal is a royal pain, trying to do it with the engine still in the boat must be a bear.

Gotta be the seal to leak that much.

Assuming that the seal is still intact and the neither the crank or bearing cap are damaged (scratched or out of round) and you staggered the seal when installing it, it should be okay. The Ford manual shows the seal being installed so about 3/8" sticks out of the block on one side. This is to minimize oil passing through the seal and bearing cap joint. Without this stagger, there would be no stopping a leak.

While I do not know the differences between a rh & standard rotation rear seal, if they are different, I would think a leak is inevitable.

Might want to check with PCM directly or call Vince at skidim.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 1:40am
The seals for RH & LH are different, they look exactly the same but something about them is different. When I got my engine rebuild kit it came with seals for both RH and LH, I couldn't tell which was which so I had to call Victor Reinz to find out which part number was right.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 8:42am
There are grooves in the seal that go in the direction of the engine, right or left.
Zigzag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zigzag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2004 at 2:23pm
Jim

Check your oil pressure sender. Mine had a short pipe extention that was cracked. It would leak while running and I thought it was probably the pan gaskets or main seal. After fixing didn't leak a drop.

Tim
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2005 at 10:50pm
Pulled out the engine again. Still can not tell a difference between RH & LH rotation rear main seals. The metal rim inside the seal was showing on the top section of the top seal???

Going to install new seals (might try the LH seal) and run the engine on a stand.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. Also looking into using a Speedi-Sleeve.
woodyelc View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 10:21pm
there is a very big differance in the two seals if you use a L.H. seal in a R.H. motor the crank will push the oil right past the seal. you must use the proper seal for the rotation of the motor. i don't think they make a speedisleeve for a crankshaft. maybe? feel free to call me with any questions. 407-851-1965.   years ago Ford put the wrong seal in a motor and after the second time removing the engine i found the problem. very bad oil leak from the wrong seal.
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 10:51pm
Pulled the engine, pulled the trans, installed new RMS (Right Rotation), made sure seals were staggered, main bearings look in good condition, torqued caps to manuf. specs, cleaned oil pan, installed new gaskets, put back in boat . . . still leaks right down center of bell housing plate at a good rate. Can blow air through PCV . . . doesn't look to be clogged. Thought maybe there was a lot of back pressure.

The crank looks good. No groove from existing seal.

I can't tell if leak is from main seal or oil pan. Wish there was a way to run the engine without the flywheel / housing.

Looks like they make a speedi-sleeve for my crank size. Will try that to see if it creates a better seal.

Any ideas, please send my way. Jim@jagcreations.com.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 12:00am
I am having one hell of a time with this crank. No one knows if it is a Left Handed Crank or a Right Handed Crank and I can't find any resources online to compare to. If anyone knows a definitive answer, please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Jim

kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 10:36am
that looks like a lefty to me,but i aint no expert.
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 1:49pm
All of the rust isn't helping. But I'm no expert either but this crank seems to be a left hand counter clockwise rotation as viewed from the rear. Compare this to a screw thread and the direction the engine will be spinning so if this crank is spinning clock wise then it is going to pull the oil out the back where as if it rotates the oppiste direction it would be pushing it back into the pan. If your engine is std rotation then use this crank but if it's a rev rotation it doesn't matter which seal you use which I think you have already found out the hard way.

.02 worth
Stan C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2005 at 3:01am
Jim
I agree, this is a LH rotation crank (standard automotive).When I rebuilt my RH rotation 351W the crank was rusted and pitted on the seal area worse than yours, my solution was to send the crank to a marine crank repair shop and they welded and remachined the seal area smooth, (no cross grooves). I then used a regular automotive 2 piece seal,it worked like a charm, no oil leak whatsoever. Cost was about $120.00
Stan C
Stan C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic