Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stevo251

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
swatkinz View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stevo251
    Posted: June-23-2004 at 7:43pm
How do you check the compression?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2004 at 7:54pm
With a compression checker.

Go to your local parts house and they will have one to rent or buy.
Rod R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 10:49pm
Be sure to get a screw in compression gauge, the push in types don't work very good and require you to have a helper.

I always start with a hot battery, cold engine, all the plugs out of course, coil wire removed, and the throttle wide open....   It shouldn't take but about five revolutions to reach maximum pressure, stop spinning the engine when the needle stops moving. Record the cylinder number and value and move to the next cylinder.

Many times with an engine that has been sitting for a while you will get pretty large deltas between the cylinders, say greater than 20 percent.... More often that not, when I ran the engine for a while (with new oil of course), the values come up and even out (10 percent or less)... So don't give up on an engine that's been sitting if the values don't suit you first time out.

Next step is figuring out why low cyclinders are low... but I'll save that for another post.... yours are probably fine.

Rod
72' Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic