NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 3:55pm
Usually, when plywood is laminated into the composite, it is used for mounting a piece of hardware, so the screw does not penetrate the hull. The plywood is not structural in these circumstances.
sterlingmermaid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:42pm
thanks for all your help

Terrence
tk
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 2:34pm

This is the piece I used. Like TRBenj said you really don't need a template. Toward the front of the stringers you will notice a notch where the last 18" or so of the stringers are taller than the area before them. Starting from that notch, going backward toward the stern is where the piece is supposed to fit. It goes back just beyond the ski pylon. You may have enough floor left to reconstruct that dimension. In my case it was 35" long. Then, it is as wide as you choose. It must span the stringers. That is the only requirement. In my case it goes to within 2" to 4" of the side of the hull on each side.

The transom is primarily gla$$. There are several places that have a piece of plywood laminated onto the gla$$ and covered with gla$$. With the fuel cell removed you can easily identify the places where there is a plywood backing laminated onto the transom.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 11:52am
Originally posted by sterlingmermaid sterlingmermaid wrote:

Do you know where I can find a template for the wood part of the floor where the two seats get screwed into? mine was too far gone to make a template from and the foam is already removed. I should have taken an impression of the foam before I removed it but I didn't

A template of this section is not necessary. The wood will run from the front of the motorbox to the back of the battery box (3-4' deep). It comes within 6" of the side of the hull, but it doesnt have to be a precise fit.

The only reason CC used wood in this area instead of gla$$ over foam is because it spans the width of the bilge. There is nothing supporting the floor between the stringers.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 7:17am
Do you know where I can find a template for the wood part of the floor where the two seats get screwed into? mine was too far gone to make a template from and the foam is already removed. I should have taken an impression of the foam before I removed it but I didn't
tk
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 6:56am
Thanks for the info, now it is starting to make more sense. Do you know if the transom has any wood in it at all? where the stringers attach to it? I just took my swim platform off and the bolts seem to go into soft wood and one bolt seems to line up with the stinger but they are too far apart for both to make it into the 1 1/2in wide stringer. I will start taking pictures and posting my progress if the boat doesn't sekk first
tk
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 11:36pm

How did you get the old stringers out? Cut at the bottom or at the top and pry them out???

These are the old stringers from my boat. The first one I tried to cut it where I thought was the bottom. Wasn't until I made a mess of the thing and left about 1/4" bedded into the hull that I understood what was meant by "bedding". When you look at the hull of your boat the gla$$ seems to flow smoothly up the side of the stringer. The stringer is sitting on top of the hull and is not bonded at all. At the exact point where the angle forms at the base of the stringer is where the stringer is bedded. There is as much as 1/4" thick in gla$$ and resin here. But, at about a 45 degree downward angle the tip of the blade will slip right under the stringer. It is more difficult to explain than it is to cut the stupid thing. If you use a saw similar to mine you will be able to FEEL the cut. When you are not cutting into the stringer the cut will feel easy. When you are cutting into the wood it will have a lot of resistance and be slow. Also, you have to cut each side of the stringer at the base. When you are done, the stringer comes out. Where the stringer used to be there is a channel. It is very messy and difficult to grind this channel down. That's why if the stringers aren't totalled, I would just cut out a section and replace it.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 11:30pm

Hi Can you tell me how you got the stringers out? Did you cut them at the bottom or did you cut the top of the gla$$ off and pry them out? What kind of saw did you use?

I do not think it is possible to cut the top off and pry the stringers out. The bottom of the stringers are bedded into the hull very tightly, despite the gla$$ being loose or damaged in other places. You may cut the top and chisel the stringer out in pieces if you wish to preserve the shell of the stringer in order to fill it with some pourable material.

This is the saw I used. It is air powered. Very fast, very easy to work with. I got it at an auto parts store. It takes thin blades similar to a jig saw. So long as the blades are good it pulls right through the material. There is a pocket at the base of the stringer where the saw blade is only cutting gla$$. You can feel it when you make your cut. If you are cutting wood it will have a lot of resistance. When you are just cutting the gla$$ it pulls through easily. That is the sweet spot you need to find to cut the stringer out in one piece.

Now if you don't have rot at the base of the stringers it would be much easier and many times less expensive to repair a section of the stringer. Simply mark a line parallel to the hull an inch or more above the hull. Then use a saws all or similar cutting tool to cut along that mark. Then you replace the damaged wood that you cut out. Just put down a bed of epoxy resin with two layers of epoxy mat, saturate the bonding edges of the new piece, install, weight down, then gla$$. This way, you don't have to totally remove the stringer. You don't have to gla$$ it in from the bottom up either.

Bill
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:33pm
Hi Can you tell me how you got the stringers out? Did you cut them at the bottom or did you cut the top of the gla$$ off and pry them out? What kind of saw did you use?
tk
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 6:27pm
How did you get the old stringers out? Cut at the bottom or at the top and pry them out???
tk
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

SkiBum installed his new floor as the factory did (i.e. no wood). If you use a new wood floor, I suggest using thickened epoxy to glue it to the top of the stringers but also use screws to hold if fast. The screws should be countersunk and then covered in epoxy composite to prevent water from penetrating the wood via the screw holes.

Remembered this advice from David F. Thought it would be a good idea to go back and make sure the floor is going to stay attached to the stringers. Used a countersink drill bit to make the hole. Then covered the threads of the #10 x 2" long stainless steel screws with epoxy resin. Screwed them down through the front of the floor onto the main stringers. Then back filled the holes with epoxy resin. Should do the trick.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 2:10pm

Wiped with acetone. Grinded and sanded the bilge and ends of the brace. Applied resin and epoxy mat in the channels on the stringers. Applied resin on the brace. Set it in place and put weight on top to hold it down. Added some epoxy mat to the ends and wiped most of the run off in the bilge. Just going to have fill and sand when it all cures.
Bill
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:21am
Kudos on the olympic weights- nice to see the "real deal" weight set at a residence.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:57am

Tried to outline the buildup with mMicrosoft Paint. Wiped with Acetone, sanded, then applied epoxy resin. Used epoxy mat and resin to buildup the height by about 1/4". Grinded off the excess then filled the gaps with epoxy resin and 403 Microfibers. Once cured I'll grind and sand some more. Not going to install the cross brace just yet. Need to sand the bilge again because the resin ran down the sides of the stringers into the bilge again. Gravity sucks.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:25am
Currently the support brace is gla$$ed and cured. It is waiting to be installed. The holdup is that I used 1/2" plywood, not 3/4" plwood for the removable floor. It is sturdy with four layers of gla$$ and resin. However, it came up a little low compared to the rest of the floor. Added two layers of epoxy mat and resin. Once cured and leveled I'll be able to install the support brace and fill all the imperfections. More sanding.
Bill
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 6:18pm
Bill,

This is a fantastic teaching thread you've put together. I'm sure many will benefit from it.

Question, how are you getting your complete work-out in when your weights are in use?

Ken
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 5:50pm

Making the rear crosmember out of two pieces of 1/2" plywood. Saturated both surfaces to be bonded with epoxy resin. Added a layer of 10oz gla$$ cloth, worked out all of the air bubbles, then set the pieces in place. Stacked some small weights the length of the brace until it cured. Top layer is epoxy mat with 3M Gla$$ bubbles to make it as smooth as possible. Once that cures the bottom will just be one layer of 10oz gla$$.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

SkiBum:

Just FYI, CC uses plain old bilge paint in the bilge. Or at least they did on my '93. I restored a '77 Martinique in '89-'90 and used bilge paint in the bilge. When I sold the boat last year, the bilge paint was still in perfect condition...no peeling, flacking, nothing.

That is what I ordered the other day. Got any application tips. Plan to wipe with acetone then lightly sand once again before applying the bilge paint.
Bill
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 3:42pm
how much would you charge to do the same job to my boat?
tk
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:52am
SkiBum:

Just FYI, CC uses plain old bilge paint in the bilge. Or at least they did on my '93. I restored a '77 Martinique in '89-'90 and used bilge paint in the bilge. When I sold the boat last year, the bilge paint was still in perfect condition...no peeling, flacking, nothing.

The picture earlier in this post of the grey paint that someone surmized was epoxy paint is the color of the bilge paint and thus I suspect that is exactly what it is.

See this link: Interlux Bilgekote. You will notice they make it in white. It truely is very durable just as they say. On the '77, I replace the removalbe floor section with 3/4" plywood and simple painted both side with the bilgekote (I would use epoxy resin now) and then glued the carpet on. When I sold the boat, it was still just as solid as it was in '89 even after getting saturated with water each time the boat was used.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:33pm
The floor thickness is 5/16" average. I know there have been several discussions about how much gla$$ and what layup is required to get certain thickness of gla$$ floor. This floor is:

Biaxial Mat
Epoxy Mat
10oz Cloth
Biaxial Mat

All of that makes 5/16". Some spots are just a hair thinner. Some have more filler making them thicker. Just some information that might be useful if you are planning a floor rebuild.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

I pulled the port side floor out my 82 yesterday. It does not have the bracing which runs parallel to the stringers on top of the foam as yours does. Is only has the three small pieces runing perpindicular to the stringer. I'm guessing they had some issues with the floor sagging and added more bracing in later models. BKH

I am not really sure what purpose those serve. If your 82 didn't come with them it would be easy to add them. I just traced, cut, and chiseled until they fit tightly.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

I'm curious about the rear cross support for the main stringers. I see the provisions, but its not in and you appear to be doing finish coatings.
-Ryan

I have not installed the cross member so I could work more easily in the bilge. I thought I could get the bilge almost done then come back and put that piece in later with minimal mess and an easy repair. Now I have given up on my hopes of a perfectly shiny bilge. I finished sanding today. It is flat and smooth. I have an order in to West Marine for some epoxy paint. You should see the cross support in the next few days.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

I was staring aimlessly at the boat trying to think of what to do next. That is when I realized that I needed to make te braces that are perpendicular to the secondary stringers. I went back to the photos from deconstruction to remember how to put it back together. Thought these were more interesting than photos of sanding.

The floor is gla$$ed over this foam with 1"x2" supports that rest on the foam and are attached to the secondary stringers

Interesting Bill,

I pulled the port side floor out my 82 yesterday. It does not have the bracing which runs parallel to the stringers on top of the foam as yours does. Is only has the three small pieces runing perpindicular to the stringer. I'm guessing they had some issues with the floor sagging and added more bracing in later models. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 1:31pm
Bill,
First, thanks so much for such a detailed writeup. I'm certain that this thread will be invaluable for anyone with an older nautique with bad floors/stringers. You are doing an amazing job and keeping an incredible pace.

I'm curious about the rear cross support for the main stringers. I see the provisions, but its not in and you appear to be doing finish coatings.

Keep up the excellent work.

-Ryan
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:33pm

This is the underside of the removable floor piece. Yes, the underside. Mixed up some epoxy with a generous helping of white pigment. That stuff has been disappointing so far. Seems like the epoxy always dries with a yellow tint. So this time I used a bunch of the stuff. Probably broke some chemical pigment - epoxy mixing rules. That's what I do.

Guess I'll end up just sanding the bilge one more time. After that I am going to have to find a bright and shiny epoxy paint. Spent too much time on the bilge already.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:18pm

When I used filler to level the floor it was so thin that it ran right off the side of the hull not helping to fill the connection of the hull and the floor. Mixed a batch of epoxy with aerosil cabosil until it was quite thick, then used a bunch of fairing compound to make a good filling mix. Went back and filled along the floor to hull connection. Of course only after wiping with acetone then sanding to remove the evil amine blush.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Waterdog,

I think that's a great idea. If you guys could put together a restringer refoam manual we'd put you in the CCFan Hall of Fame. It really would be a great help.
Chuck

Yeah, the adventures of Bumbling Bill!
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by leo0648 leo0648 wrote:

I went and checked out the differences in epoxy vs polyester. Is the difference that big of a deal when used in a project like this. Or will polyester resin sufface in a 25 year marine environment.

When I started work on my project several people advised me to use epoxy resin. The major reason was that it is water proof where polyester resin actually holds or absorbs moisture. The moisture will only transmit to the wood stringers.

Before I found this site I bought a book about how to replace the floor and stringers in a boat. The author not only suggested using polyester resin, but further suggested going to "the big city" to find a plant that makes things from fibergla$$ to buy the resin in bulk cheaper than any other suppliers. The author also said that it was neccessary to sand the fibergla$$ if it has cured more than 24 hrs because of the wax moving to the surface.

As for the horrible amine blush problem, it is really not an issue. Most of the time you are going to be applying epoxy before the magical 24 hours expires. If it were polyester you would have to sand and clean it anyhow because of the wax.

My opinion, use epoxy. I have used about 12 gallons of epoxy without any problems.
Bill
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 4:12pm
Waterdog,

I think that's a great idea. If you guys could put together a restringer refoam manual we'd put you in the CCFan Hall of Fame. It really would be a great help.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic