Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

340 Chrysler Super Bee Marine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 340 Chrysler Super Bee Marine
    Posted: December-18-2006 at 8:08am
A while ago I saw a 340 Super Bee marine engine for sale on ebay . I thought this would be a great drop in replacement for the original 318 in my 1968 CC Barracuda. Anyone have any experience /knowledge of this engine ? ReidP.,Jim in Houston? Thanks Jim B. Linden, Va.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 8:19am
I've serviced a 340 in a Century 340 MkII.
Marinizarion was sketchy by today's standards, but that is curable. I have no idea what the super-bee is indicative of in regards to marine engines.

It will likely have higher compression and require premium gas. But should go like stink if it is what it is.

Unless you are after nostalgia, equivelent performance can be attained with modern aftermarket and mopar parts.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 8:36am
What year was the 340? 72 and newer were 8.5:1 compression. Prior to that they were 10.5:1.

I'm an old Mopar Guy and had several 340's in my hot rod days. Those motors were just about bullet proof.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 8:49am
barr ; if you did the swap, what would this animal be called????????????

Maybe a Super B/C/C   ???????????

..........Boat dr
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 10:24am
I'm not sure what I would call it but I bet it would be nasty. I have also seen a 360 mopar marine engine(260 hp) that I believe would bolt in. The boat is very fast stock with the 318( tops out about 45mph if allowed to rev to 4400 rpm, but gets there very quickly) and thats with an old federal 12x13 prop. I suspect a substantal horse power up grade and a acme 540 would push the boat into the 50-55mph range. Has anyone run any of these early nautique /Barracuda hulls over 50mph?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 10:59am
Me, me, me, next.
barr,
I saw that same Super Bee engine on ebay and even spoke to the people. It was only a 250HP engine and I believe was like a 72-73 model based off the serial, plus it was a standard rotation, where I was looking naturally for the RR. Everything I could find out was that it was just a hot factory paint job and decals for this marine package, but still very cool. Nothing internal from what I gathered.

The 340 is/was one of my favorite engines of all time, and like others said, it WAS stout. On the marine side however, it was a complete garden variety detune with the use of standard 318 heads, no J's or X's for those in the Mopar fan club, dished pistons, same cam as 318, and thus only the 250HP. But if you have a 318 in need of a rebuild, good news IS, all you need is a 340 block (2 on ebay), as the crank, rods, etc., are the same as your 318 so the swap is easy. You'd be buying new pistons of course anyway. Same applies if swapping from a 273. The stroke/crank on all of these is the same at 3.31", with just incrementally larger bores. That's what we're doing with Marshall Morgan's 70 Mustang right now. A 360 Chrysler however, does not apply as a number of items, starting with oil pan, are different.

Coincidentally on Marshall's we're using the same early 70's 318 head casting, which is a smaller chamber than the 340 heads. But we purchased them from a Mopar speed shop near Charlotte and they'd already been ported and had the large 2.02/1.60 valves installed, so basically are up to par with the J or X heads. The Clevite marine cam carries the exact spec as the hot auto engine but is RR. I'll keep you posted. We're hoping for 300-325HP with the exhaust manifolds being the bottleneck.            

Alan, sorry but you don't qualify as an "old" guy. I recently saw a "mature" gentleman down in the FLA Keys wearing a T-shirt that said, "I'm not 60, I'm 18 with 42 years of experience".
ReidP
1973 Mustang

barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 11:17am
Reid, what is the availablity and cost of the Clevite cam you spoke of? Maybe a 340 build up is in the cards. Have you run one of these vintage hulls at 50mph+ ? Thanks ,jim B.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 12:38pm
Jimbarr,
Good news, and bad news, and good news again. This address shows the part number for it:

http://engineparts.com/motorhead/techstuff/2003marine/Camshafts_Lifters_TimingComponents.pdf
The part number is the 229-1900 which is listed as LH, which is actually RR by marine standards. They're looking at it from the front of the engine.

That's sorta good news. Bad news is that I just called my local NAPA guy and he no longer shows the 229-1900 as being available from NAPA or Clevite, but he quoted me a price of $162.79. However I did say there was more good news as I personally have a handfull of these still in the boxes, that I bought some time back for our own use. While I will part with one of these for a 340 project, I'd like to see if we can find you one from another source first. I'm looking now and will post back.

While I haven't run a Cuda hull at 50+ yet, we've been doing it with the smaller Mustang for years now. 300HP I'd guess would push a Cuda 50-55.       

ReidP
1973 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 1:41pm
Reid, Guess I'm not really that old but it does seem like a long time ago. My Mopar friends and I had quite a collection at one time we had a couple of Dusters, a340 Dart, a 340 six pack Cuda, couple of Roadrunners, a 383 Challenger, a 71 Hemi Cuda and a 70 RT Charger.   Good times.

FWIW, pre 72 340's also had a forged crank, 72 and beyond for Mopar was the beginning of the smog control era and all HP ratings dropped.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79 Mustang View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 2:00pm
Regarding Mopar engines. As many of you have read....I traded my CC for a 1989 Sierra Supreme Open Bow due to needing more room for the family. This boat came equiped with a 360 SP designation engine. The SP was special puropose. The factory HP rating is 300HP. This engine will push our tank of a hull at 48 mph (per the speedo, not GPS) with no modifications other than a trim tab. If I were watching for a Mopar drop in....I would be looking for one of these from the late 80's.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 10:30pm
Scott79,
I had the same 360-300 in a '89 24' Rampage fishing boat, similar to a CuddyNautique, but my manual listed it as 275HP although it had 300 on the flame arrestor cover. The engine was great. The only problem with one of those to replace the earlier Mopar small block is that you'd need an entire marine block a$$embly to include the pan etc. These old Chrysler marine engines have the neat ma$$ive/deep alum pan which couldn't be re-used, but if you can find the entire 360 engine for a decent price as opposed to just a block, then I'd go for it also. Plus the late model 318-360's came with higher perf center-rise exhaust manifolds.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 11:15pm
Now aren't we all glad that ReidP and all his knowledge have returned to our site? Even if I didn't really understand all that it sure did sound good.

Aside to Reid: We still on for the 26th? I have to work but I am tryin' for a half-day of so we can get the '80 wet for you and hit a nice lakeside dinner place, same place we took Hollywood to.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 10:53pm
hey john,scott is going down to florida on sat for a week,he is going to ft meyers,driving some guys car down,he might be interested in a ride in the 80,send me a email,ccsnpb@sbcglobal.net dan in ohio.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic