NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Slalom Tugs at the Show

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Slalom Tugs at the Show
    Posted: February-16-2023 at 6:06pm
I went to the Utah Boat show last week.  Only two (2) direct-dive slalom boats on display: Correct Craft and Mastercraft.  The Nautique salesman said that the "show price" for the 2023 Ski Nautique was $180K.
Damn.

The new HO Syndicate 01 slalom ski was $2,199...with a special "show price" of $1,980.
Double damn.

I did meet Will Asher at the Boat Show.  Very nice guy.  Friendly and approachable.  I played "tourist" and got a photo with Will.  The HO promo guy told me that Will ran 6 @ 41 off at the last tourney.
Triple damn.

Then I went home -- sad singing and slow walking.

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 6:43pm
Yeah, and they wonder way slalom skiing is becoming a lost art.  Thing is, you dont need a $180,000 boat and a $2,000 ski to have fun or even be pretty good. They just dont want you to know it.

As far as Will skiing 41 off.  No small feat.  Not sure of the exact status, Paid somewhat close attention in 21, but not so much in 22 but, only, I think it is, 12ish skiers have ever completed 41 off.  It might be more now, there were a couple of very good performances last year.  When you think about it, that's the same number of people who have walked on the moon.  Nate's record of 2 1/2 at 43 off has stood for about 10 years.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 7:10pm
Wowza!  $180k?  I was talking with a buddy the other day that used to ski and such and had his own inboard in the 90’s.  He asked what a new Ski Nautique would cost these days and I blurted out probably over $100k. He about fell over. I’ll now have to let him know I was way wrong!  Thanks for the info Johnny. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 7:40pm
When the latest iteration of the Ski Nautique came out in 2019, it was the ridiculous price of $120,000 and the "price point" 200 (supposedly for clubs/camps/teams) was a mere $80,000.  The 200 base price is now $106,000.  A camp a friend of mine is associated with just bought a 200.  Not anything special or lots of options and it was $120,000. List (base) on a new Ski Nautique is $155,0000 so Im sure it doesnt take too many bells and whistles to get it up to $180,000.  Good thing we are skiers and not fancy pants surfers, a Paragon g25 starts at 395.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 7:44pm
Here's a link to all kinds of boats and their MSRP and dealer cost and also to all kinds of other things and their MSRP and dealer cost

link to the "Nautiques" page for 2023 but plenty of other brands listed too.

And with a little surfing you can find the price of all the options too by clicking on the boat you want to get the info for.

I'm gonna guess that the price is for a boat without a trailer 

Being a little less than what Larry posted, maybe these were last weeks prices or something, but you get the idea  Wink
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 10:49pm
The MSRP jump this year at the Nashville boat show was insane and there were sales being made.  $150,000 for a pontoon boat -- and  that was not for the twin outboard version.  I have zero new boat envy, but I do not want the industry to suffer, so I am glad there are people willing to buy/finance.  

Feels out of whack though -- like something has to give.  

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2023 at 12:30am
Wow, I am out of touch, I thought a brand new Nautique was approaching $80K.  Never imagined I could be off by $100K.   Holy Crap Batman.   I am guessing the nice examples of a good classic Ski Nautique will be pushed up by this surge in pricing.   At $180K for a new boat maybe $40K for a nice old boat starts looking attractive???   Thanks for the post JQ.   Boat show hits Sacramento in March.,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2023 at 9:21am
Anymore it seems that the more you spend the better (skier,surfer,wakeboader,tuber....etc...) you will be.  I see it on the few local lakes around here.  Monster wake boats throwing rolls so high the kids fall down before they get over them.  I would venture to guess that less than 1% of the wakeboarders on our little lake could not jump wake to wake on my little boat and yet they think they need the big boy!  There is a guy that can throw big flips but he is behind a 16 foot 80 horse outboard fishing boat that produces about 8" of ramp.  That is skill and fun to watch.  Marketing is alive and well and that is what it takes to survive so who am I to judge?  The prices just leave me with an open jaw and a bewildered look on my face.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

The prices just leave me with an open jaw and a bewildered look on my face.

Unlike this guy who looks like he's having a blast in a well used and abused Mex Nautique Wink

I think that was the optional multipurpose driver's seat.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2023 at 9:55am
Do ya really need that $100K plus slalom boat to run the same bouys you ran with the $40K boat?
its all a big scam and miss direction within the competition  boat  aspect of the sport. Wakes are really no better then most of the mid 90's and early 2000's hulls in comparison to these new engine sleds that these manufacturers are calling boats.
there are rumors in the world that there will be one of the three manufacturers discontinue building three event boats altogether..
I know at Nautique they have far more mouths to feed then it really takes to manufacture  and produce a boat. 

skis are posted as scary prices but in reality they are not. Goodes have been $1000 plus for nearly 20 years. The prices of skis have been held relative low in respect to how much boats have been jacked up price wise.

Keep in mind what many are missing is that watersking is not declining, its the competitive organization known as AWSA/USAWS that has diminished greatly.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2023 at 10:32am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I would venture to guess that less than 1% of the wakeboarders on our little lake could not jump wake to wake on my little boat and yet they think they need the big boy!  There is a guy that can throw big flips but he is behind a 16 foot 80 horse outboard fishing boat that produces about 8" of ramp.  That is skill and fun to watch. .

This is my nephew behind either a dd inboard or his buddy's I/O, dont know which, but thats all they had access to back when this was taken.  Cracks me up on the surf forums. These guys go out and drop a quarter of a million dollars on a boat then ask on the forums how much lead they should buy and where should they put it.  At that price, dont you think these boats would be ready to go vs having to buy lead or barrels of whale blubber or whatever to get the wake "just right"

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2023 at 7:57am
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

My dad and grandpa both spent most of their working life at a luxury boat manufacturer (think 30-60' fishing and pleasure craft). These stories from the boat shows give me 2006-2007 vibes... Eventually you run out of people who can pay, but by the time you realize it you are already 1-2 years beyond the demand/price peak and the factory is competing against an excess of unsold "new" or lightly used inventory. Recipe for disaster. The builder my dad worked for barely survived the '08 crash, and had to turn their fiberglass skills to far less nautical pursuits (e.g., building large windmill blades) to get through. It took them close to a decade to recover, but they'd lost the majority of their workforce in the meantime. It is risky selling a luxury product that the uber rich don't bother with and the average joe cannot afford.

Re: newbies dropping a mortgage on a boat they don't have the first bit of skill to use I can only say, "The poor craftsman blames his tools."
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2023 at 9:38am
Keno-To think I had the opportunity of a lifetime for a measly $20 plus a $10 tip!  Long live the mexinautique.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

My dad and grandpa both spent most of their working life at a luxury boat manufacturer (think 30-60' fishing and pleasure craft). These stories from the boat shows give me 2006-2007 vibes... Eventually you run out of people who can pay, but by the time you realize it you are already 1-2 years beyond the demand/price peak and the factory is competing against an excess of unsold "new" or lightly used inventory. Recipe for disaster. The builder my dad worked for barely survived the '08 crash, and had to turn their fiberglass skills to far less nautical pursuits (e.g., building large windmill blades) to get through. It took them close to a decade to recover, but they'd lost the majority of their workforce in the meantime. It is risky selling a luxury product that the uber rich don't bother with and the average joe cannot afford.

Re: newbies dropping a mortgage on a boat they don't have the first bit of skill to use I can only say, "The poor craftsman blames his tools."

What's odd tho, is that it is the quarter million dollar surf boats that are saving the industry.  Compared to dozens in the 80s maybe 90s, there are now only three  direct drive/3 event boats on the market and Bu, MC and Nautique only make/sell a handful of them a year.  Meanwhile there are a dozen or more surf barge builders and, at least Nautique, cant build them fast enough with up to a year lead time.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 4:19am
Looking at these prices, I feel like my well maintained '89 is gonna go up in value... Approve
Not that I am anywhere near ready to sell it BTW.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 6:07am
Agreed on all the above. Have a neighbor up the cove who has a 201? 200 and was/part of the slalom group who raised and lowered the course weekly. His wife is a tricker. One of the first guys fussing and blasting the surfers that came into the cove while we were all waiting our turn to hit the course. Had a stroke a few years ago and gave up swerving. Bought a G-23 so he could start thurfing it up. He has chased us on several occasions out of the same course because he turned into one of the guys he blasted. He has stated that he'd sell the 200 in a second as he cares nothing about it but his wife won't let him. After getting beat up by other members who maintain the course he finally moved his surfing ventures out of skier cove.
 Another neighbor owns a Moomba and surfs a lot. Always extends an invitation to go with him and a couple other neighbors who surf. He sees us diehard slalom guys go out all the time and finally took me up on an invite to slalom. Took him about 3 tries to get up but finally got it. The smile on his face was worth the price of admission and when he got back in the boat he said" Man that was fun! That was an adrenaline rush! He bought a slalom ski this winter as he wants to swerve with us more and get introduced to the course.

The prices of these new ski tugs makes the 99 I just bought last year makes me even happier that I did it and you couldn't slap the grin off my face with a 2x4 every time I see the MSRP on a new ski tug. The guy who sold it to me was selling it to get a pontoon. It's all just Freaking crazy. Guess now I know why CC has branched out and acquired other mfgs. I think they are protecting their brand when/if the bottom falls out.

Don't see me selling any of the Morfleet EVER! They are probably an investment!Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 10:26am
Crazy story about the former skier, Tim.  I guess surf boats are like jet skis, where you are required to leave your brains back on the dock when you head out.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

It's all just Freaking crazy. Guess now I know why CC has branched out and acquired other mfgs. I think they are protecting their brand when/if the bottom falls out.

Don't see me selling any of the Morfleet EVER! They are probably an investment!Wink

^^^ Agree on the business diversification strategy, though they are of course still heavily invested in the industry but at least along a few price points/adjacent entertainment options.
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Meanwhile there are a dozen or more surf barge builders and, at least Nautique, cant build them fast enough with up to a year lead time.

Maybe all the 2022's are sold to dealers or something, but if I check the inventory at the closest Nautique dealer to me (the only dealer in NH), as of today they have 13 2022 leftovers in stock, 2 of those 13 are sale pending. The other 11 .............well they must be waiting for somebody to come along.

Maybe they're lousy at updating their website......maybe not.

Maybe all these were ordered and people backed out.

Maybe people are waiting for the really big discount.

Maybe the sales numbers are counted up in some funny way by CC.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 7:19pm
A few more of the Mexinautique to keep ya smiling and reminiscing Bill.Wink

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2023 at 8:17pm
Lol. That was a great trip!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 9:25am
Here's my take.  $50,000 pickup trucks are now 75k, 65k ones are hitting 100k.  I hear people saying "nobody will buy them" but obviously they are leaving the lots, in fact have to be ordered in many cases due to lack of availability.  Yes things go up and down and maybe interest rates and other economic factors will drop sales and create inventory, we'll see.

Boats are even more inflated, but I think we frugal do-it-yourselfers tend to underestimate the amount of people on all our lakes that have stupid amounts of money.  You'd be surprised how many of these surf boats are bought for cash, and replaced after 3-4 seasons for no reason other than a desire for new and shiny and status.  I think many here mention that people think they need the latest most expensive model to surf or wake or ski better, but if you really delved into it they need the latest for status, not because they really think it will make a performance difference.

What does surprise me a bit is that there isn't a Bayliner type option for ski/wake/surf, someone making a lower quality boat that competes with the expensive ones geared to sell to people of more modest means. You'd think it would sell.  But maybe the build out and marketing effort needed is so expensive that only a current big manufacturer could roll it out and they have no incentive to do so.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 9:26am
And I think I'll go wax my boat which I'll be keeping for a very long time based on these prices! Smile
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 9:35am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

What does surprise me a bit is that there isn't a Bayliner type option for ski/wake/surf, someone making a lower quality boat that competes with the expensive ones geared to sell to people of more modest means. You'd think it would sell.  But maybe the build out and marketing effort needed is so expensive that only a current big manufacturer could roll it out and they have no incentive to do so.

Ahhh, but there is....

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 9:43am

And I think I'll go wax my boat which I'll be keeping for a very long time based on these prices! Smile

This spring, in addition to the usual stuff (impeller, oil/filter, clean, wax) I got a buffer and buffed/polished/waxed the hull/deck that was getting a little hazy.  Quite pleased with the result.  Well that and some (not all, yet) new upholstery, and I will proudly pull my 27 year old boat up alongside any $150,000 ski tug.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 12:15pm

I will proudly pull my 27 year old boat up alongside any $150,000 ski tug.

Larry, in a lot of way I couldn't agree with you more.  Do we need a new boat for what most of us do in or behind the boat, absolutely not. Depends on the setting.  Unless you're skiing in the course a ton and getting into short line.  I doubt you'll see a major difference.  

Having the opportunity to spend 40-50 hours a year in new Nautique Promo's and newer "other brands" over the past few years, I have to say the experience drastically different both in and behind the boat.  Is it necessary, no.  There is a huge difference when you're pulling hours on end with a wide-variety of abilities and ages at a tournament or ski school.  Pulling a clinic or tournament in an old rig can be exhausting.  The new Nautique is a WAY better experience when swapping skiers every 10-15 min and turning islands at each end.  

Then there's the PP/ZO conversation.  At our former club lake, the older / PP (StarGazer) boats struggled to get up to speed and not overshoot before the 55's at 34 & 36. Being a big dude, skiing at 36mph at a short lake was almost impossible - 55's were slow, gates & 1 were consistently fast, 2/3 was slow and 4 ball typically flew by at mach-speed with the boat trying to catch up.  Most times, I didn't care but our TC's and our better drivers were always frustrated with Stargazer.  ZO creates a more consistent ride and certainly helped my progression behind the boat....once I learned how to stand on the ski the right way.  

At the end of the rope, skiing faster speeds and shorter lines behind the new Nautique is a completely different feel IMHO.  The only way I can explain it was what I called the "the swing set // underdog feeling" coming off the second wake.  If you can stay connected to the handle off the second wake it feels like you're getting a nice push in your lower back making it really easy to get up on the boat without much input from the skier.  We don't experience the exact same feeling in our re-powered 409/ZO 01SN.  

Then there's the driver input conversation.  A bad driver can make the best boat feel like sh*t.  A good driver can make an old boat damn near the same as a newer/ZO boat.  That's a different conversation.

Long story short......are the new boats necessary, no? Am I glad they keep making them so I can buy one in 10-15 years, you bet!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 3:46pm

Ahhh, but there is....

That's a new one on me.  Not a good looking boat IMO, not sure who styled them or why.  Prices are reasonable.  On their whole web site, unless I missed it, there is no mention of where the company is located.
LooseScrew22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseScrew22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 5:27pm
Part of the Brunswick brand- maker of bayliner. Website says Headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, but i agree, kinda ugly
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 6:45pm
This must be about the time that somebody comes up with examples of some of the lower priced ski boats that companies like CC, MC. Malibu, Supra came up with over the years and for some reason like lack of sales, they disappeared from their respective lineups in a short period of time Wink

Other companies did the same thing too, with the same end results

Or maybe a list of the cheaper wake boats built these days, that people immediately like to pick on for being "inferior" one way or another
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2023 at 8:47am
To build a sub 20' boat is not financially conducive for most all current boat builders as the shear cost of materials has increased substantially across the board. manufacturers  have to profit on their investment in these materials. fiberglass resin by the gallon or pound, bigger boat bigger profit margin. Gadgets!! it;s not like the Auto industry where a half a million units are available and supported for many years. less then a 100 direct drive boats built by a manufacturer that the other 90% is big barge platforms. this drives the cost of the electronic gadgets sky high and support three years down the road....Replacement Linc unit near $5K.
Again many of these manufacturer's have a lot of mouths to feed.
A smaller boat company like Sanger might be able to pull off a sub $70K tournament boat but for some money is no object! bring on the $200k slalom tug!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic