NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

17 Years - Correct Craft Fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 Years - Correct Craft Fan
    Posted: October-14-2021 at 9:42pm
Thank you, Keith for keeping CCF alive and kicking for 18+ years. Been a member since 2004 and enjoy reading posts and seeing boat pics. Whatever world events are happening, my safe place is CCF.

Lots of memories with some old friends, Lost Lake, Green Lake, Webster Lake and Lake Cochituate. Put 10 minutes on my Nautique boat meter this year but hope to reconnect and be active with the Nautique community in 2022!

Peace ☮️

Ken
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 7:22am
The big birthday extravaganza must be on Oct 20th  Wink

A trip down memory lane in the link

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 10:11am
wow

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 12:49pm
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2021 at 11:49am
Randomly dropping by and caught this post. It's been an interesting journey and cycle of membership. Back in 05, 06 you had a bunch of 50+ somethings with grown kids and a bunch of 20 somethings with no kids. That was a really fun time and we made some great friendships during that period. Drank a lot of beer too. Both groups had lots of flexibility and loved skiing and old boats. Then all the 20 somethings had kids, started families, and CCFan took a bit of a back seat. I mean not everyone but a lot of folks, the reunion attendance and traffic kinda mirrors that cycle. I wonder what the future holds? We ski more than ever but it's 16.95 seconds at a time behind Zero Off equipped boats all summer chasing 6 little buoys with short ropes. It's been a long time since we've done a floatilla or messed around on vintage trick skis. Might be time to do that again!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 10:51am
Good observation on the changing demographics, Joel.  That really never occurred to me.  I have lamented the change in traffic a couple times, tho I should not have expected anything different after 17 years, but I do miss the old days a bit.  In discussions on this before, someone attributed it to everyone is phone-centric now and the site is not phone friendly.  But your point makes a whole lot of sense too.  Think about it, TRBenj and Hollywood were in their early 20s back then, now they are 40-ish,  married and one with a kid.  I was 49 with an 11 and 15 year old.  Now she's 32 and married living 800 miles away and he is 28, a detective, and fortunately living about a mile away.  But I do miss the friendly banter of yesteryear and the reporting on project progress or skiing and barefooting adventures.  Key players are gone,  Ironically, because he started this thread, we dont hear much from Ken. Reid's gone, Quinner's gone, Hollywood, Tim, Joe, Alan make rare appearances,  Pete has become a Tic-Toc Influencer.  Like I said before, 17 years is a long time, change was inevitable, I guess.  I also guess we should be grateful Keith (also scarce) has kept it going and that it is still an invaluable resource for help and guidance.  I know, I always send people on FB with questions over here in an effort to have them avoid all the terrible advice over there.  Time marches on.....

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 11:51am
It seems I came to the party 10 years late...

Kudos to Keith & Co.  This really is a great site.  Through CCF, many members have been helped and many have done the helping.  I've met several CCF members face-to-face for various reasons and I've spoken with many on the phone.  For the most part, I don't do "social media" -- with the exception of 1 or 2 forums like this one.  Cheers to CCF.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

, Alan make rare appearances, 

LOL,  I'm always here Larry just don't have much to add to the daily threads.  There are several guys here that take care of questions better than I could.   I do enjoy posting when I'm working on the wood boats but I'm getting a late start on that this year. 

I never post anything Correct Craft anywhere else but here because this is where it started and this is where it belongs, anywhere else and you become fodder for advertisers.  At least when I log on to Correctcraftfan.com I don't have anyone trying to enlarge my penis or shrink my prostate and   I don't have to watch videos of cats or find the 8 in a field of 9's.  

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 10:26pm
While I've been around a long time, I wasn't part of the social inner group, just my situation didn't make getting to events possible.  But I've really enjoyed the site, still do today.  There is less personal banter and far more "how do I fix this" posts, which is ok, but the banter made it more fun.

I hope a new crop of people that buy "budget" boats and fix them up comes along to refresh things a bit.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2021 at 7:59am
I also still enjoy coming here.
I do not post as much as the first years and also saw the changes as Larry and Alan said.
But this is the place to be when it comes to our boats that (most of them at least) are not stuffed with ECU's or fancy electronics...

And over the years, there are the classic topics that always pop up LOL
  - foam or no foam
  - tower versus no tower on classic boats
  - tubing (Pete's speciality)
  - restoration versus resto-mod

And dang, I'm also already here for some 14 years... Time sure does fly!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2021 at 8:38am
Nice post Ken and fellas. Yeah, FB seems to have taken over a bit but Larry nailed it. Guys still come here directly for  serious RIGHT info needed. I think most of the original CCFans and those who have long lasting friendships solely because of this site and attending the gatherings have contact info of most of them. I still come here several times a day to see what's going on. I think Covid had a huge part of shutting down gatherings. Seems the SJRR is the last remaining one and even it has seen its numbers dwindle drastically. Maybe its Covid maybe it's not. I do miss seeing alot of the midwest guys. Lots of great times of days gone by of skiing with one another, driving each others boats, laughing and having a good time with birds of a feather. I have a long list of friends who I still maintain a relationship because of CCFan and I cherish everyone of them. The SJRR will still be planned for next year as far as I know and as long as there is still interest. Heard that Nautique will bring back the Regatta to Lanier next year so I hope to see many of you at one or the other. As mentioned before ....Thanks Keith for all you do and keeping the CC Sanctuary open.  As the leaves are falling along with the temps of water and air. We're still skiing on Lanier for about a month but alas after the first frost comes and goes, I'll be ready for spring... To All Y'all.....Hope to Ski with you Soon!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2021 at 2:40pm
Yes Keith.....Thank you!
Still visit the site almost daily.  Always enjoy the information. 
Do kinda miss the old days.  Kristof in the bathtub LOL
And the always entertaining 79 Nautique words of wisdom !
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 7:57am
Someone once said CCF was like a bar.  People come, people go.  Sometimes it's the hottest place in town, then it cools off. Some people quit drinking.  It was an amazing place for at least 10 years, almost cult like.  A huge group of people that would have never have met became life long friends.  I've met so many decent people over the years and I will always be thankful for that. The reunions were a big part of that. It's still the best place to get solid information on older Correct Crafts.

After the Lake George Reunion in 2008, we, (Dave, Tom & me) had decided to go to North Carolina to buy a boat.  While I had been talking with Reid Pinkham over the years through the site and email, I hadn't met him until that reunion.  Just before Veteran's Day weekend I was talking to my daughter who was away at college.  I told her our plans and she asked, are you staying at that guy's house?  I said yes and she yelled "I can't believe you are taking the boys and staying at some guy's house that you met on the internet". Which did seem crazy, but that's the way it was....
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I told her our plans and she asked, are you staying at that guy's house?  I said yes and she yelled "I can't believe you are taking the boys and staying at some guy's house that you met on the internet". Which did seem crazy, but that's the way it was....

My first river run event, Morfoot offered to share his two bedroom room cabin with me.  I knew him from CCFan but had never meet him before.  My wife thought I had lost my mind to drive 9 hours to Astor Florida and spend the weekend in a cabin with someone I meet on the internet.   Turned out to be one of my funniest weekends ever and Morfoot turned into a great friend. He also makes a great carrot cake.  Beat the hell out of the tent I was going to stay in. LOL
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 9:12am
Similarly...

Jbear and I got acquainted through the site.  We had a lot in common, roughly same age, same kind of history with respect to barefooting... so we became closer.  Years passed and we never met.  He decided to make a trip up to the White Lake Reunion and decides to spend the night at my house on the way.  Next he calls and says would it be OK if his brother joined us.  "Sure"  Next he calls and says would it be ok of Gene and Scott Monahan join us "Sure"  So, of course, in the course of all this, I ask my wife if it would be ok if 3 complete strangers  join John (an internet acquaintance) in his upcoming visit. "Sure"  This was 2013.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 12:47pm
I enjoy dropping in on CCF, definitely not as active as I was from the early 2000’s. Nice seeing many old friends still posting. I still think about the good ole days driving to NY for our Lake George reunion, New Hampshire, Maine, and taking a flight out of Boston to WI for Green Lake. Great times at Goose Blind and that shallow cove chilling.

Still enjoying my ‘99 SN. Lucky to own it in such a demanding market with nothing available! I live by the ocean now and putting an order in for a 2022 Cobia w/200 Yamaha. Sold my Wellcraft with 5.7 I/O. Learned a valuable lesson not to buy an I/O for saltwater. What a freaking money pit!!!

Hope to see and hear from some old friend again in the near future. Larry, you’re in North Carolina, correct?

Ken
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Larry, you’re in North Carolina, correct?

Correct Ken.  Moved down in 2012 after youngest graduated HS. (Remember, you took Brad, Keith and me out to dinner one night, right before I left)  Love Cape Cod, but, other than occasional visits, never looked back.  Really enjoying it down here, especially the weather. Skied a week ago sunday, and as of right now, will be heading out this evening.(air upper 60s water low to mid 70s)  Now, this year, being pretty much retired, has helped the ski schedule.  (Lake is pretty quiet week day mornings/afternoons)
Stop by some time if you are ever in the greater Pinehurst/Raleigh/I-95 corridor neighborhood.

Recall, you were the first CCFer I met, live and in person when we got together on Cochituate one evening after work - probably 2006 or 7 ish.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 7:00pm
Can't forget the rave reviews and enthusiastic welcome the site received early on Wink

I guess you could say that both sites have their place
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 8:07pm
Yeah, probably never take off....  17 years and these stats later....

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 9:21pm
I cannot comment on all 17 years, but I can offer a few thoughts from my 15+ years as a member here.

When I joined, I was in my 20s and just out of college. I had no money, but my parents had just bought a '97 SN with 200 hours on it that was in great shape. According to the CCFan For Sale section they could probably sell it today for about what they paid based on the condition and hours of similar craft, not adjusted for inflation. With inflation taken into account, that 9 year old boat set them back ~$25K in today's dollars.

The 9 year old SNs currently for sale on CCFan will now cost you $40K+, a 160% increase in the cost relative to what you'd otherwise expect. Yeah, yeah, I know "covid"... I am sure that is some of it, but if you follow this pre-COVID (July 2019) Ball of Spray thread suggests to me that "pandemic prices" are just icing on the otherwise grossly inflated cake.

I have visited this site at varying intensity over the years, largely depending on what other things have been going on in my life. But even if I didn't live in a city, it is difficult to imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars on a boat even though I make a lot more money than my parents ever did. Insane housing costs and the need to save for a retirement that may never come rapidly drive away any hopes of owning a boat.

I am sure that part of the reason the generation of Hollywood, TRBenj and Co. (which would include me if age were the only factor) hasn't been replaced is due to some of the platforms/tech at play (e.g., Facebook). But the one thing we all know about this site is that the quality of information is abnormally high; I cannot express how much I have learned and how many times this site has been an invaluable resource keeping the SN going over the years. This suggests to me that if young people were buying boats, many would still find their way here. I suspect a large reason we don't see new (younger) members is that the ones who like "old" boats simply cannot afford to join the party; everyone else must either be rich enough or careless enough to buy/lease a newish boat and has no need for a site like this.

On the lake where I spend my time, the last 25 new inboards were all Mastercrafts or Malibu wake barges. They are mostly owned by people in their prime earning years who use them only a handful of times a year, and often for tubing. If something goes wrong, they call the dealer instead of trying to fix it themselves. A back of the envelope calculation says some of them are probably spending $1K+ per HOUR all in and maybe even more. I can think of many better ways to spend my money (an older/cheaper boat being just one idea).

I met some of you in person at Green Lake in 2013, the only reunion I was ever able to attend. Some old timers are still active, many are long gone. One person I crossed paths with in person during the search for a boat was 79nautique LOL! Many other CCFan OGs are still on my "to meet" list and I hope this site continues long enough for me to scratch them off my list.
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 10:49am
I’m glad I was wrong!!!

CCF became a very real part of my life. Many of my best friends came from this site, spending vacations, holidays, weddings, funerals together.

I may not always be logged in but I’m here everyday.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:31am
SAD LIFE lmao

Same here, I’m here most every day. A lot of the regulars mentioned above that “aren’t here anymore” I still speak with - and get together with - fairly regularly.

The world has evolved a bit since the “heyday” of this site (smartphones), which makes posting/sharing here more difficult, and easier on other platforms- which is unfortunate. The resources here are still second to none- both in terms of general knowledge for new questions as well as a repository of questions/issues already resolved.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 4:25pm
A couple more recollections:

I'm still waiting for Jim_in_Houston to finish his story about taking his Mustang out in West Bay, Galveston Tx to the San Bernard River that he left off in 2005

It didn�t take but a few minutes to cross the mile to the inland portion of the Intercostal Canal. The water was calm. I felt relieved. Frankly, I have spent a lot of time on the water and this was only the second time in my life that I felt alarmed. I wiped my face one last time, took a deep breath and opened a beer. I raised the motor box to check for bilge water. All looked good - only about 1/2" of water and not enough for my bilge pump to pick up. I relaxed a little but the thought came back that I really didn�t know if I had enough fuel to make the trip. The only way to find out was to go. I pushed the throttle stick on the Morse control forward, set the RPMs to 2500 and headed west-southwest down the Intercostal. Most of the trip was still ahead and I had no idea of what was to come.

More later...

Also,  if you've been around for a while, you know I like to make videos.  Here is the first one I did.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 5:10pm
Tons of memories and hopefully more to come. Some of my biggest memories:

Advice on my ‘86 SN engine issues - ultimately replaced engine
NH ‘07 reunion- grounded boat
Green Lake - meeting many life long CCF friends
Green Lake - Hollywood feeding me wine from one story high
Green Lake - the Perfect Storm weather 5:00 am to go footing
Lake George - first slalom run behind the 200 - 38 degree weather
Lake George - Meeting Mr. Ralph
Lake George - Reid coming to the rescue when throttle cable broke
Tim’s lake house - Almost died parasailing
Tim’s lake house - Time traveling in a FN fast BFN
Lost Lake - Fun skiing and footing w/Brad, Keith, Tim & Larry
Correct Craft Factory - Personal tour by Dave

Ken
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 5:10pm
Larry, I think you pasted in the wrong link for the video, you used the thread address.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

SAD LIFE lmao

Same here, I’m here most every day. A lot of the regulars mentioned above that “aren’t here anymore” I still speak with - and get together with - fairly regularly.

The world has evolved a bit since the “heyday” of this site (smartphones), which makes posting/sharing here more difficult, and easier on other platforms- which is unfortunate. The resources here are still second to none- both in terms of general knowledge for new questions as well as a repository of questions/issues already resolved.

LOL, yeah those that remember some old "Off Topic" discussions are probably not surprised by the subject or tenor of my previous post. Luckily I am not usually sad, and when I am it might be because I don't get enough time on the water.

Tim, it was great to meet you at Green Lake and I am glad that there is a cryptic group that is keeping the love alive. For me, I am thinking of some of the Midwest guys (johnb, OverMyHead, and davidg) that I don't see on here anymore (but might be lurking, just as I have been).

I thought harder about my post after reading your reply, and in fact the quality of this site might be the best/simplest explanation for how relatively quiet it seems on the surface. After all, once the Bible is written you don't need to keep adding as much (many new posts can simply be answered with a "search for it").
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Larry, I think you pasted in the wrong link for the video, you used the thread address.

Hmmm odd, thought I checked it.  Thanks. Fixed now.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 7:30pm

Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Tons of memories and hopefully more to come. Some of my biggest memories:

Tim’s lake house - Almost died parasailing

Lost Lake  Fun skiing and footing w/Brad, Keith, Tim & Larry

https://youtu.be/rY4IoXXq1Jo

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 2:13pm
17 years...... Seems like only yesterday Ken that I wanted to slap the glass of Chardonnay right out of your hand at the Goose Blind LOL...

Long time has past, and HW is right, Many friends made in the process.. And yes, many of us just lurk now lol...

Moj'

Ha, I tried to find the pic of Quinner with the beer bong on his head, but failed..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 3:19pm

Some weirdos don't have to search 'cause they have it saved on their computer because.............well, just because Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic