Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New throttle lever too tight to seat fully

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New throttle lever too tight to seat fully
    Posted: August-21-2021 at 10:07am
The chrome ring that controls the shift lever lockout was completely worn out on my original throttle/shift lever, so I got a new assembly as part of the restoration of 96 Sport.

I’ve had quite a problem getting it to seat fully. The spline hub on the shift lever doesn’t really want to sit fully on to the splined post on the boat. At first I just thought I wasn’t getting the setscrew tight enough but then I realized it’s not pushing in deep enough. I actually took a rubber mallet and tried to tap it in two weeks ago. I thought that I might’ve had some success. It still didn’t feel like it completely seated but the chrome lock ring didn’t turn in everything felt snug. Then yesterday while out in the boat the lever became loose again.

What do I need to do here? Do I just use more force to top it in? I’m surprised it’s tough to get it to seat properly.
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 11:50am
Matt,
The lever is a zinc die casting. I wonder if there was a burr at the parting line of the splined bore that's interfering with it easily sliding on the shaft. I'd pull the lever off and check if you can see anything in the spline bore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 11:02pm
Some else suggested today to use a bit of grease. I tried that tonight and it slid fully on with a little tapping from the rubber mallet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2023 at 10:16pm
Hey guys, I’m resurrecting this thread. I’m about to pull my hair out. This problem has persisted since I put the new shift lever on. Last summer I would have to reinstall it every few weeks. It’s progressively gotten worse and now the liver is falling off every few days, is this not a common problem? The lever is definitely not seating is deep is it should. I’ve taken it apart and looked at it. I can see where the Allen keys that screw is supposed to hold it on. The lever is not seeding that far down. should I get a C clamp and try to press it on or is this love or just have a manufacturing defect?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic