NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme Drought in the West

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Drought in the West
    Posted: July-25-2021 at 5:45pm
The Western US is in the middle of a mega-drought.  Things are bad.  Lake water levels are at record low levels.  I was just informed by our management company that our houseboat on Lake Powell will be pulled off the lake until lake levels rise.  That means that my annual Lake Powell excursion has been cancelled.  Cry

But wait...there's more.  My local go-to ski lake is Utah Lake.  I skied yesterday morning and most of our skiing was done in 24" to 30" of water.  Getting up in only 2 feet of water can be a bit of a challenge.  Our water ski club (Utah Water Ski Club) has 3 ski courses on the lake.  2 of the courses are completely unusable.  One of our ski "docks" is hard aground and we are trying to figure out options to re-float it.  The other dock must be moved very soon or suffer the fate of the first dock.

Due to the record-setting hot temperatures and coupled with the low water conditions, we are seeing HABSs (harmful algae blooms).  All of Utah Lake is now under a HAB warning.  Other lakes in our area are also dealing with HABs.

To quote Professor Jones: "this is intolerable!"

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 8:22am
Hey Johnny, it might be time to consider joining a private lake. Several around you, not sure of the cost.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 8:30am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Hey Johnny, it might be time to consider joining a private lake. Several around you, not sure of the cost.

Aren't private lakes out west having water problems too? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 11:37am
Private lake ownership is all about the land.  The private lakes are done by a developer that sells land for home building on the lake.  Sadly, the cost of the land is kooky-high.  I may have to move to Michigan, Minnesota, Florida or the S/E and live on a lake.

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 5:39pm
Sorry to hear that.  I love the west.  My grandparents relocated to Henderson NV way before the Vegas boom and new strip.  Love Lake Mead.    Been watching Lake Mead lose water since I was a kid.  I really hope mother nature helps reverse the droughts out there.  Lake Powell is on the bucket list. 

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 8:18am
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 10:16am
Unlike last season we are experiencing a pretty good monsoon.  According to my neighbors rain gauge about 6 inches in the last few weeks.  Definitely helped with the fire situation. 
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 10:43am
We just got hit with a brief monsoon.  Cedar City, UT got almost 3 inches.  Now we’ve got flash flooding.  Can someone upstairs turn the spigot on to about half and just leave it there for a while?  I mean…thanks for the water, but just spread it out a bit. 

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic