Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying My first Ski Nautique- Too many hours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying My first Ski Nautique- Too many hours?
    Posted: July-15-2021 at 1:33pm
Hi all, my first post on this forum however I have been searching and reading the site for quite a while now as I look for my first Ski Nautique. I have been looking for about 2 years, the last 6 months being the most serious of that time. values are quite inflated right now, so good deals seem to go very quickly. I have found a 1978 that seems very promising online, and I plan to go look at it this weekend and drop it in the water. The owner reports solid floors and stringers, however I plan to take a look at things closely in person paying particular attention to the motor mount bolts which could point me towards rotten stringers and me walking away from the deal. The only other issues he reports are some gauges that aren't working, which I could handle. I am mechanically inclined and grew up around classic wood boats, just not personally familiar with these boats and their systems.

Ok, onto the one thing holding me back. The boat has 2,000 hours. This scares me. The owner has been very honest and let me know that he has no records to prove that it has been rebuilt, but he believes it was by the previous owner. In my opinion I need to approach the boat as though it has not been rebuilt. I have read endlessly on the idea that a higher hour boat that is used regularly can have better reliability than a low hour boat that has sat, but I would like to ask the opinion of some of you that have more day to day experience related to hours on a motor. 

At the end of the day I plan to use this boat mostly for leisure on the weekends, with occasional watersports as my finace becomes comfortable enough to pull me skiing. 

Let me know your thoughts and I greatly appreciate any input you all can provide!
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 3:31pm
Welcome. 78 is my favorite
What’s the price
Can you do compression test
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 3:33pm
Most hour meters from 1978 will be not working. THe compression test will tell the health of the engine. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 4:06pm
Thank you both for the input so far. The owner is asking 4500 for boat and trailer. I have asked if they've done a compression test and am waiting to hear back, otherwise I will just do it when I'm looking at the boat.

Something else I am curious on, how would I cut spark to the motor when performing the compression test?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Most hour meters from 1978 will be not working.

Donald,
You've had a problem with hour meters? Confused

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by MitchInMN MitchInMN wrote:

Something else I am curious on, how would I cut spark to the motor when performing the compression test?

Just pull the center wire out of the distributor cap.  Or the other end from the coil, same result.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by MitchInMN MitchInMN wrote:

You don't need to worry about the spark to the plugs since all the plugs should be removed for the test.

Welcome to CCfan and make sure you report back to us. Good luck and hopefully the trip will be worth it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 8:43pm
Mitch

You might want some input as far as the compression numbers to expect on the test and they're gonna vary depending on whether it's done hot or cold

Asking the seller to give you numbers is sort of an invitation to get screwed. Wink Along the lines of "the owner reports solid floor and stringers"

Seeing the test done yourself takes any uncertainty away.

Fully charged battery for best cranking, throttle and choke both wide open, plugs out, disable the spark like mentioned earlier ( or you can unhook the positive wire feeding the coil) and crank the engine over 3 to 5 turns and read the gauge. It has a carburetor so no need to disable the fuel system

Repeat on each cylinder

Write down the numbers, they should all be within 10 percent of the highest cylinder in the perfect world.

A cold, mild compression 351 with some hours on it, I'd be happy with numbers in the 105 to 115 range or higher. You may get a wild variety of opinions on what the numbers should be Wink

Higher is better and remember ...........not all gauges are created equal, one gauge may read a lot different than another but you can look for consistency between cylinders no matter what the readings are.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 6:57am
Nick,
I've always found a remote starter switch very useful when you need to crank an engine without it starting.

Here's how to use one:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 7:31am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nick,
I've always found a remote starter switch very useful when you need to crank an engine without it starting.

Here's how to use one:

Pete, you really should give him a link to a video showing how to hook it up to the typical 78 Ford starter system with the remote relay/slave solenoid 

or go hook it up on your Tique and take a picture  Wink
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 10:35am
Thank you all for the information, it's really helpful not going into things completely blind. I have a known good compression gauge and read that a generally good number is 125 psi, but more importantly that all readings are within 10 percent of each other, something I have learned from all the 2 stroke jetskis I've had as well. if compression is all over the board then I'll have some thinking to do.

I plan to look at the boat Sunday and am on the fence about it following me home or not, I always get too excited and tend to overlook things so I'm trying to keep my head on straight for this one! I think I've got a good amount of information from you all to determine if she's right for me or not, thank you again. 

Any other small, often overlooked points that you all look for on these boats? 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 10:49am
If things check out, offer 4000 seems like a great price for such a classic
Do not get to cheap and picky. Do it
The help u get here will save you $1000
Over time
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 11:04am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 11:27am

Donald,

Yes, on my 1980. On several occasions I purchased gauge sets trying to find various ones that worked for my 1980. I still have several old ones in a box, I think.  I like an operational meter so the end of the season, I knew how much use the boat got. I always change the oil in the fall no matter the amount of use and have had to change it soon due to exceeded 50 hours in a season. 

I have also seen many of these old boats with the hour meters not working.  It is my opinion the hour meters were not sourced to last 42 years , more like 10 years, but it is just my opinion. I am sure some have had them last longer, but it was not my experience. Even my 2002 Sport did not come with the original hour meter. The digital gauge was updated by the previous owner.  He did document the hours at the time of the swap. When I installed Star Gazer, I loaded what I believe, based on what I was told to be the current hours of the boat based on the old gauges and the new. 

It is all about the MFG cost of the boat, sure Correct Craft could of sourced a more expensive better built hour meter, but the boat had to meet a specific price point. In 1979 Correct Craft was still under bankruptcy. 

I never trust hour meters running or not on a 42 year old boat, but that is just me. I look at overall condition to understand if the boat was properly cared for. Bottom End should go 3000 hours or more if properly cared for. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 1:34pm
A compression test is never a bad thing to have- and if a boat is non-running or running very poorly then I’d want to confirm the issue is that of a tuneup rather than something more serious… but hardly anything beats a water test- if the boat runs well under load and tops out appropriately, without any other obvious signs of a problem (smoking, fluids look ok, etc) then that is really a more comprehensive test than a compression check alone. You confirm the entire driveline that way- not just the engine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 1:37pm
Donald, Donald, Donald

You know Pete's just phishing for a reason to tell the world once again about the phenomenal lifetimes he gets out of his stuff. Wink

Usually measured in years not hours, since the stuff has to have been running to rack up some wear.

He conveniently forgets to mention how many years some of these boats have gone without running or seeing the water though
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A compression test is never a bad thing to have- and if a boat is non-running or running very poorly then I’d want to confirm the issue is that of a tuneup rather than something more serious… but hardly anything beats a water test- if the boat runs well under load and tops out appropriately, without any other obvious signs of a problem (smoking, fluids look ok, etc) then that is really a more comprehensive test than a compression check alone. You confirm the entire driveline that way- not just the engine.

What he said Wink
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 1:42pm
TRBenj, The owner said the boat runs out great in the water and he is willing to drop it in and go for a ride, and also let me do my own compression test. Gives me some confidence that he is pretty open about the boat and not trying to hide stuff on it. We will see come Sunday. The excitement to go see it this weekend sure make the days leading up to it feel longer than ever!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 5:02pm

Donald,

Yes, on my 1980. On several occasions I purchased gauge sets trying to find various ones that worked for my 1980. I still have several old ones in a box, I think.  I like an operational meter so the end of the season, I knew how much use the boat got. I always change the oil in the fall no matter the amount of use and have had to change it soon due to exceeded 50 hours in a season. 

I have also seen many of these old boats with the hour meters not working.  It is my opinion the hour meters were not sourced to last 42 years , more like 10 years, but it is just my opinion. I am sure some have had them last longer, but it was not my experience. Even my 2002 Sport did not come with the original hour meter. The digital gauge was updated by the previous owner.  He did document the hours at the time of the swap. When I installed by Star Gazer, I loaded what I believe, based on what I was told to be the current hours of the boat based on the old gauges and the new. 

It is all about cost of the boat, sure Correct Craft could of sourced a more expensive better built hour meter, but the boat had to meet a specific price point. In 1979 Correct Craft was still under bankruptcy. 

I never trust hour meters running or not on a 42 year old boat, but that is just me. I look at overall condition to understand if the boat was properly cared for. Bottom End should go 3000 hours or more if properly cared for. 

Donald,
Thanks. I appreciate your input.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 7:49pm
Love that feeling when going to look at a new toy
Take money
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2021 at 10:10pm
Nick
The group on this email thread alone will get you through any questions, issues, support etc.... you will need if you buy the boat.  You will have to put up with some BS now and then but that is par for the course and well worth it........trust me on that!  All kidding aside the guys on this forum are amazing at helping out with any / all issues you may come across.  
I agree with 67......if the boat checks out for the most part try to end up at 4K ($3700-$3800 maybe if your a good negotiator) as that will give you some "play room" to do some minor things and, under the current market environment, that is a pretty darn good deal.  Good Luck!
SRB
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 8:05am
If it is economically serviceable, then go for it.

Correct Crafts hold value well if they run & look good.

Don't forget about the trailer, they often are neglected.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 8:18am
Mitch,
Where are you and where is the boat in Minnesota. I am in Monticello west of the cities and might be able to hook up with you if you want a second opinion along on the look at the boat. I owned an 84 SN for 15 years and now have a 98. Let me know 
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 9:38am
Well, the owner decided that our agreement to hold the boat until Sunday (the earliest day HE was available) didn’t mean much and sold it last night. Pretty frustrating that ones word doesn’t mean much anymore, but the search will continue.
MitchInMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchInMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 9:39am
Mpost, I’m in St. Louis Park and the boat was just outside eau Claire.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:02am
Well bummer
Someone bought sight unseen??
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:41am
I wonder if the owner was reading this thread?  I would have given you a call before I sold it but you wouldn't be my first choice as a buyer.  The boat was priced to sell.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Well bummer
Someone bought sight unseen??

I get it but I’ve held a boat for someone if they’re serious and coming a long way. Cash is always king and you wanted to do a compression test. Maybe the other fellow just looked it over and bought it.

These days the early bird catches the worm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

These days the early bird catches the worm.

I agree. Todays marine market is crazy with such a low inventory of both new and used. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 11:16am

I agree. Todays marine market is crazy with such a low inventory of both new and used. 

I know am being kinda negative here but it is also possible the buyer was reading this thread also.  You have been looking for two years and when you found one you decided to tell everyone about it on a public forum.  This is the #1 goto site for older Correct Crafts.  Lots of people on here looking for boats to buy.  Not to mention the flippers.  You can do a forum search and get all the information you need in regards to what to look for when buying a boat.  Next time just post the pictures after it's in your driveway.  On a positive note maybe it was a POS and you dodged a bullet.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic