Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leak at fuel line and carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak at fuel line and carburetor
    Posted: May-18-2021 at 7:33pm
Ok... fired it up today ran great...BUT... I have a fuel leak at the carb... very slow drip right at the fitting and they both are tight.... Any help? I have never had to take this apart so I am looking for some answers... is there a putty or Teflon tape on the threads? Thanks!
Can’t find a way to post a pic?!

Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 7:42pm
At the fuel line where it connects to the carb via the inverted flare adapter?

No tape and no "putty".

There is this gasket between the adapter and carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 8:37pm
Otto

Click on the link below and you'll find some info on that fuel inlet fitting, a picture of what parts there are and some discussion about the right way to tighten the fittings.

Lots of pictures disappeared in the thread but the one you need magically reappeared Wink

If you're not doing it the way the link says, using 2 wrenches..........well you should be, if you want to get them both tight 

It's worth a shot to maybe stop the leak without having to replace the gasket and if you replace the gasket at least it tells you the right way to tighten the fittings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 8:55pm
Yes I was using two ranches, so I’m just going to replace the gasket. Does anybody have a schematic that shows where it goes, and order of operation? I just don’t want to jack it up! I appreciate all the help!!!!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 8:58pm
Did you click on the link and look at the picture and read the link?, everything you need is in there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 10:16pm
Hey what is the plug on the drivers side of the carburetor that covers a vacuum source.   I should order one of those too !   Thanks
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 10:17pm
Thanks Keno!!! Your a bacon saver!
Otto
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 10:51pm
I never seem to have any luck with the metal ones they always seem to start leaking after awhile. I use these instead they seem to "give" a bit and can be snugged up at any time
 -
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-26-102?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQuKY_XVYkE9xQ4kCajuRvM7dFR_mJtLL_393Bmx-TI3T5qh_4iN5qhoCGI0QAvD_BwE
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I never seem to have any luck with the metal ones they always seem to start leaking after awhile. I use these instead they seem to "give" a bit and can be snugged up at any time
 -
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-26-102?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQuKY_XVYkE9xQ4kCajuRvM7dFR_mJtLL_393Bmx-TI3T5qh_4iN5qhoCGI0QAvD_BwE

Here's the Summit gaskets Gary likes:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 7:00am
Otto

Since we're gasket shopping, you can probably walk into your favorite local auto parts store and get the same 26-102 gaskets or the 108-8 steel ones without having to pay about 10 bucks or so shipping on a small Summit order.

It may not be in stock but they'll probably be able to get it for the next day and you won't be paying any shipping charges Wink.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 10:41am
Believe it or not, Napa was having a hard time finding them with those numbers, but advanced auto parts was able to get them tomorrow morning. I am interested in your opinion is it going with the nylon or the steel. Also what is the particular type of wrench that I need? I was able to get a 5/8 wrench on the lower bolt. It is my understanding that you work your way up from the bottom to disassemble, and then from the top down assemble, correct? How much pressure you put on the top nut that goes into the carburetor? I know too much is bad and not enough is bad....

Including the flared fuel line, Should I just cleaned it off with solvent and make sure there’s no burrs or contaminates?
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 10:49am
Can someone give me a good reference number for the holly bowl to line fitting.. the discount inboard marine number I have for the bowl to line fitting is R024025, is that the correct part? Some previous owner has been a little hard on that fitting and I would like to bring it back up to spec!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Can someone give me a good reference number for the holly bowl to line fitting.. the discount inboard marine number I have for the bowl to line fitting is R024025, is that the correct part? Some previous owner has been a little hard on that fitting and I would like to bring it back up to spec!

Holley 26-26..............go see your friends at AdvanceAuto again 

It's "slightly" cheaper than the DIM one is by a wide wide margin Wink

As far as the gasket, steel, nylon or fiber all work. Some like one, some like another
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 11:19am
Otto,
Getting a wrench on the adapter can be a PITA. A socket works best before you connect the fuel line. I've also had to remove the accelerator cable bracket to get in there when a socket wouldn't work. Then on the fuel line inverted flare fitting, a flate nut wrench is best. Don't forget to get some grease between the flare nut and the fuel line like mentioned in the thread Ken linked. 

I too have had the same reults with fiber or nylon gaskets. No difference. The key is not allowing the fuel line to "wind up" which will then unscrew the adapter. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 11:28am
All done thank you! Yes it’s $13, bought a spare and both types of gaskets...now for this wrench....What type of specific wrench is used for that fitting? It’s tight up there. But like I said the 5/8 works open end works good on the flare nut.

Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 11:32am
Thanks 8122!    No lube on any threads though correct, and snug on the torque? Can’t believe advance auto parts out did Napa in finding and having these parts in a day!
Otto
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 12:21pm
Most times it depends on who is behind the counter helping you.  Some are great and some are not that great! 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 1:48pm
I believe. Napa's business model is supplying local repair shops not the walk in customer let alone a performance oriented one. When was the last carbed engine sold in a car? Something Iike 1984, there is no market in it for them. O'Reilly has been good especially if you do your home work before hand and have their part number.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 2:24pm
1984 sounds a bit early to not have any carburetors. If that is true... I am really old! The great thing about a carburetor is that if there is a electrical problem and the engine is running it will keep running. All the technology is great until a circuit board failure or a power surge where it is rendered useless. I’ll take my carburetor!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Most times it depends on who is behind the counter helping you.  Some are great and some are not that great! 

Yes, I feel this true especially now with the shortage of labor and qualified labor.

I believe. Napa's business model is supplying local repair shops not the walk in customer let alone a performance oriented one. When was the last carbed engine sold in a car? Something Iike 1984, there is no market in it for them. .

I feel what the local Napa stocks also depends on the area it supplies. I've walked into Napa and found tune up parts in stock for a 48 Chris/Hercules. I wasn't expecting that and questioned it and was told they always stock them. 

BTW, the Holley fuel fitting gasket crosses over to an Echlin part at Napa. 

I wonder if AutoZone would be able to find it! LOL LOL

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 6:38pm
She mentioned that name, but couldn’t find a cross reference. Puzzling!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

The great thing about a carburetor is that if there is a electrical problem and the engine is running it will keep running.

There are several electrical problems that will cause a carb'd engine to stop. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 7:05pm
True... but a dead battery isn’t one!   I remember push starting so many cars in my youth to get them started! I would prop start airplanes (I have retired from that endeavor!) so I could get my students lesson in and not have to wait for a jump or a new battery or lose my hourly $!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Yes, I feel this true especially now with the shortage of labor and qualified labor.

I believe. Napa's business model is supplying local repair shops not the walk in customer let alone a performance oriented one. When was the last carbed engine sold in a car? Something Iike 1984, there is no market in it for them. .

I feel what the local Napa stocks also depends on the area it supplies. I've walked into Napa and found tune up parts in stock for a 48 Chris/Hercules. I wasn't expecting that and questioned it and was told they always stock them. 

BTW, the Holley fuel fitting gasket crosses over to an Echlin part at Napa. 

I wonder if AutoZone would be able to find it! LOL LOL

Maybe instead of his usual fine job of dragging Auto Zone into the thread so he can tell you what HIS opinion of them is, Pete should have given you the Echlin part number so the NAPA people could have actually helped you and you could have made him feel goodWink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 9:57am
I’m just thankful to everyone here to help guide us through solving our problems! Thank you all!!!!

On the subject of employees... we have a small business and it is exponentially more difficult to find employees...far fewer want to work, and of those, getting them to do anything productive is even more difficult... it is to the point where we are just going to close one day out of the blue. If people won’t work for $25 an hour plus tips. I can’t do anything... it would be funny (ironic) if people are sitting at home with “free” money, but can’t spend it because businesses are not open because no one works anymore!

Anyhow I digress... again thank you to everyone on this forum... you have guided many of us with solutions to many problems we encounter...Thank you and I hope someday I can give advice to help others achieve the same results I have!
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic