NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 10:23am
If your Shepard is the same as the shepherd classic wood boats
You could talk with them about a proper repower and price.
That combo might add value
Shepherdboatco.com
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Putting a period correct engine into that beautiful boat will be the best investment.

Yes, a period correct is best. The original is even better. The value of a classic or antique plummets without ether. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 8:55am
A boat without engine will have little value.  If it has rotted stringers, you will likely have to pay to dispose of the hull.  Of course you can part out rudder, strut, etc to recoup some money.

Putting a period correct engine into that beautiful boat will be the best investment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 8:53am
Stepper459 go on PlanetNautique.com. There is a post by KevinMcElroy listed under “Boats for Sale”. He is parting out/selling a 2001 SAN with a GT40. Granted, the boat is a Vdrive and not the transmission you need but you might be interested in the motor.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 7:36am
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

I will not go into the history of the current engine, 

331? Crown 135?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 6:41am
Thanks for pics. Beautiful boat.
Is it same manufacturer as ‘Shepherd’ boats, still making classic wood
Let’s do a 454 or Chrysler 440,

stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:15pm
My father-in-law is looking for an engine for his '56 Shepard. I will not go into the history of the current engine, but he wants to put in a "standard" ski boat engine like a 351 from an old Correct Craft or similar. I'm currently scouring the local listings for a boat that "just has one soft spot in the floor but runs great" but I haven't found one yet. I feel bad taking a solid boat and yanking its engine, but I'd be willing to just about give away the hull once we have the engine and transmission. So maybe someone's got a rotten floor and would rather swap their engine into a solid hull I find? Or maybe we can make an arrangement... 

Anyway, we don't want a built-up hot rod engine, we don't want something original to the boat or even to the era, we'd love a 70's or 80's era 302 or 351 that's been properly cared for and ready for an easy retirement of shuttling around a guy in his 70's at medium cruising speed in his Shepard. I have been kind of authorized to spend around $7k initially, which should get me something decent and maybe a little return on selling the complete boat minus drivetrain. 

I should add that of course I'd take an engine on its own, but would be willing to take a whole boat and/or trailer, whatever. I can work with anything, but we just want a good running engine that doesn't need major work itself. 

Thanks in advance for any leads. I'm only able to drive within a couple hours of central NH. Here's the boat: 

\

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic