Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Loose transmission mount bolt - composite stringer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose transmission mount bolt - composite stringer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose transmission mount bolt - composite stringer
    Posted: February-25-2021 at 10:47am
Anyone ever repair a transmission mount bolt that isn't biting in a all composite boat?  I know this is a issue with wood stringers, but couldn't find much for composite boats.

Swapped from a PCM trans to BW Velvet drive and it moved the mounts back just a bit.  Seems that one of the bolts either stripped the hole or doesn't have enough to bite into.  Suggestions?  Only fix I can think of is adding glass.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 8:32pm
Seems like if you added glass like you said, you'd be OK. Wink

I think I'd fill it with a gnarly mix of epoxy and fibers, strands etc. and redrill it 
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 5:45am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think I'd fill it with a gnarly mix of epoxy and fibers, strands etc. and redrill it 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 6:37am
No need to mix and fill a syringe for injection. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 10:16am
Thanks all!  That thickened epoxy adhesive looks like it might be the trick.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 10:37am
What type of “composite boat” are we talking? It would be helpful to know so we can give proper advice, considering how it is built.

Doesn’t sound like a correct craft to me, their use of aluminum engine cradles (with through bolted engine mounts - not lagged) predated the change to composite by quite a bit.

Tell us more about what’s really going on here.

(I would have guessed Malibu based on the screen name but they didn’t use PCM transmissions and their stringers are hollow...)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 10:57am
You should have guessed Supra Wink

It's not necessarily a Sunsport, but it's a Supra
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 10:57am

It's a misfit Wink  1995 Supra Comp TS6M.  

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:01am
Well look at that Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:03am
I’ve owned several wood stringer supras a but not familiar with the composite construction... let’s see some pics of the configuration.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:33am

Won't be able to get any new pictures until she comes out of storage, but assuming they are hollow.  They went all composite in 1992 (curved windshields).

Here are some I had on the computer
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:34am
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:46am
I wouldn’t expect them to be hollow based on those pics. They really don’t look any different than the wood cored version I am familiar with. More likely a low strength core material that won’t bite (foam etc)? Or maybe there’s a backer in there? Not likely but possible. Stick something down the hole and see what you can dig out?

What are you doing with the 1.23 that you removed?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 11:56am
Go to the "not exactly a link" below for some reading

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=271

edit ......or go to this real link below

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 12:08pm
Interesting reading and pics but that appears to be from ~10yrs later than the boat in question. The in-process stringer pics do not appear to be utilizing the same construction methods, at least from what I can see.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What are you doing with the 1.23 that you removed?

It was a 1 to 1 PCM 40i that he removed

It's tough to see much in his pictures and the Skiers Choice pictures   Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 12:20pm
Ah, indeed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 2:25pm
Yea, I rebuilt the PCM that came out, but it wouldn't engage forward gear, when warmed up, unless the engine RPM was raised to about 900.  Linkage and cables adjusted right and working fine.  Shifted into forward fine when cold.  So replaced with the BW.  (the PCM was full of water at some point before the rebuild and warped the clutches so they were more or less locked forward)

Now it's sitting in the shed as a emergency backup in case the BW ever blows.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2021 at 5:58pm
2001 Sunsport

If you click on the link below you'll find the 93 Waterski Mag buyers guide with some description of the stringer setup in 2 different places 

Page 42 in an ad, and later on page 143 when talking about the "misfit" 

Same basic setup as the later stringers referenced earlier today  

Foam filled glass stringers with composite 'stuff" glassed in where the mounting hardware screws in to give something strong to grip. Your 95 won't be different than the 93 description or the later one either   Wink

For anybody else.........good reading about the 93 boats from all the ski boat companies regardless of what brand somebody may or may not be biased towards
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 8:56am
Thanks for the link and the trip down memory lane Keno!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Thanks for the link and the trip down memory lane Keno!

If there's any demand for some other "trips", I could link the same buyers guide from 87, 89, 90, 96, 98, 01, 02, 03 later on today 

I'd probably put them all in a different new thread for ease of finding them. Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 9:33am
Thanks Keno, that link is great. Appreciate all the info everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic