NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 Sport Nautique Open Bow Stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 11:01am
Ian,
Clap  It looks like it's getting very close to seeing some water. Considering the fantastic job you are doing, I don'tfeel you will have any problems. 

BTW, I'm curiouse as to what you are doing and do in Hong Kong? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 6:29pm
Chief translator/proof reader for Ding Bang Ow fortune cookie company
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Chief translator/proof reader for Ding Bang Ow fortune cookie company

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2021 at 5:28am
I'm British but work for a Chinese company making electric motors, our factory of around 26,000 people is just over the boarder from HK. I would normally commute into China a few times a week but not for the last 16 months! I am Head of Business Development, I have been here for about 8 years, I spent most of my career working for Honda Power Equipment and Engine division in Europe and Japan. Now I am busy replacing all those engines with motors and batteries! 
Thanks for the encouragement I beginning to believe I can finish. It wont be the best looking but I hope it will be tough and reliable. It has kept me sane though over a year of lock down...... next time I find a way to work inside with floor and a bench with a vice !
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2021 at 8:01pm
I have had my head down to get to the finish but fell at the last hurdleConfused
I have an overheating problem looks like the pump cannot prime from the water inlet in the hull. works fine on a hose , and sits at 160 degrees just like the rating of the thermostat but I made the mistake of not doing the bucket test and in the blur of pushing to get finished I did not look at the water inlet in the hull before i got it on the water. I am kicking myself as the trialer i used died at launch so no easy way to get it out,  everything needs to be on the water for a few weeks at least. 
I have a new pump complete G21 on its way from SkiDim will arrive in a week or so. I will do the bucket test with a clear hose connected direct to the current pump and see if the problem is on the hull to pump side or confirm the pump is sick,   
But I need to check the inlet is clear. I have been down with a mask to have a feel around with a thin screwdriver but i really need to know what I am pocking to be sure what I am doing.
Does anyone have a picture of the hull water inlet to guide me in my clean out dive. 
Its the one photo I do not have Angry
I can blow bubbles from the raw water pump inlet pipe to the hull inlet and suck water the other way (yes i did put my mouth round the pipe) so it is not completely blocked but i want to be sure there is no obstruction. 
Gutted sea trial lasted  3 mins before i saw the temp rise to 200 . It was a fantastic 3 mins before the slap round the face LOL 
I hope it will just be the pump and inlet side as the hose cooling worked, I am trying to bock more complicated problems. 
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2021 at 8:55pm
Fantastic job Ian !  Don't go diving just yet. You might simply just have an air leak in an intake hose connection or the old pump it self. Much like trying to drink your favorite beverage through a straw with a pin hole in the side of it. Running on a hose masks that since it's under pressure rather than relying on the vacuum the pump creates. Is the pump mounted right? If it's a normal left hand rotation the pump will be mounted to it's bracket with the screw that holds it's internal cam in place toward the block. Did you replace any of those intake hoses? Do you have a strainer plumed in- is it sealed and not sucking air?  Did you use a nut driver or socket to tighten all those clamps rather than a screwdriver?  Check those easy things first and get the new pump on and see how it goes. 

This screw facing block -

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 10:44am
Thanks for the help Gary went through systematically and found that I had a air leak on an elbow going into the water strainer, This fixed it and for good measure the pump arrived from SKIDIM in an incredible three days so i fitted this too and the temperature is a solid 160 degrees and my blood pressure reduced Big smile
Thanks again for spending the time to help me out after complete rebuild my mid was racing about all the possibilities 

I now have my first 5 hours on the engine. Last snag is  burning hot alternator. The new alternator I fitted on rebuild needs a 5 mm spacer to align the belt which I had missed ,  I hope this will solve this. If not I will be back.LOL

So final result looks like this, many thanks to all who posted info help and encouragement to keep going and finish turned out to be a 5 month job the last month outside in 32 degrees C 90% humidity was very very tough.
Its not the prettiest but it turned out the way I was hoping, where I have confidence that everything is fixed properly and reliable.
Here is how it finally turned out. 
Cannot imagine how many times I climbed that shaky ladder

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 12:00pm
Wow!

Ian wins the prize for the best recovery and restoration, done under the most difficult conditions most of us can only imagine.

Way to go.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 1:43pm
Agreed, and it seems like in a relatively short time as well.  Great Job Ian!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 4:48pm
Bravo!  it looks awesome!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Wow!

Ian wins the prize for the best recovery and restoration, done under the most difficult conditions most of us can only imagine.

Way to go.

Plus another! Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 8:46pm
Plus another another. 5 months ? WOW !!

Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 8:43am
Thumbs Up  Nice Job!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 9:04am
Bravo!
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 9:31am
Awesome job in tough conditions!!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic