Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Ski Nautique fiberglass resin??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 Ski Nautique fiberglass resin??
    Posted: November-22-2020 at 8:40am
What type of resin would have been used in a 1997 Ski Nautique? Epoxy, vinyl, polyester, something else??

thanks!
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 9:09am
Ashland AME 5000 resin

You can read some about it in the link below Wink

Or Google it for other info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 11:45am
thanks very much for this info... I did a quick search to try and find a place to purchase this but no luck yet... I emailed NautiqueParts.... we'll see...

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

thanks very much for this info... I did a quick search to try and find a place to purchase this but no luck yet... I emailed NautiqueParts.... we'll see...

Rick,
Are you doing some glass work and are concerned about the resin type? If so, I'd suggest just going epoxy. It's stronger, will bond to the AME and it's not hygroscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 12:35pm
I'm gonna guess that if you click on the link below, you'll know what he wants to do Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 4:07pm
I was kinda hoping you were gonna put some glass on your "new" platform Wink

[QUOTE=wetskier2000] 

Here's my temporary abomination.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I was kinda hoping you were gonna put some glass on your "new" platform Wink

[QUOTE=wetskier2000] 

Here's my temporary abomination.....

LOL!! I found a place in St Pete that is building me a new platform....

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2020 at 12:50pm
I don't see you getting much attention here or on PN.

I think I'd just get a small amount of vinylester resin and a little cloth or mat for doing the repair and then a small gel coat kit for matching the color after that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2020 at 1:20pm
A better explanation would have helped us answer the real question... thanks KenO for the link.

I’d use epoxy on the inside repairs and have that handle the structural half of the fix. Is that block not for the grab handle? Tough to tell where it’s located from the pic.

I’d use vinyl for any exterior repairs prior to gel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 8:56am
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input! I thought my first concern should be matching what the boat was built with but the general consensus seems to be Epoxy for the underside, structural repairs... Clearly epoxy resin is far easier to obtain...

My plan is to remove the hanging matt/resin and build back up from the inside, then address the cracks in the gelcoat. I question how to keep the new matt and resin in place since it's overhead. I was thinking a aluminum sheet formed to the area that could be used to "prop up" the new work until it's cured enough to stay put itself. The resin won't stick to the aluminum. Any thoughts on this??

1964 American Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 9:02am
Wax paper or saran wrap. Both peel off easily after curing. Or even a zip lock bag- size depending on how big a piece you need to cover
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 9:52am
Epoxy will certainly stick to aluminum. If the shape doesn’t match that of the transom perfectly then it wouldn’t help much anyways. Lay it up in multiple thin layers (I’d use more cloth than mat) and gravity won’t fight you much. Keep revisiting the area as it cures and roll out any air bubbles that get introduced from droopage etc.

Epoxy is being suggested due to its strength and ease of working. It’ll stick to all other types of glass (though the inverse is not true). Availability for any of the types isn’t a concern unless you’re trying to source locally for some reason.

http://www.uscomposites.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 10:27am
I share your concerns about the form not matching the transom perfectly... slow and steady might win the race... I might test the no form, slow and steady, overhead theory on the piece I pull out...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 10:29am
I was using Polyester resin on alum and it didn't stick so it made a great form... epoxy maybe not so much...

1964 American Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 10:46am
I'm now thinking you had better just better take it somewhere and have it done by someone who knows what their doing....  Isn't your insurance covering this?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 12:00pm
Yes, but the issue I have is handing a large sum of money to a shop that says "We can't guarantee that it won't crack again"... More than 1 place said this....

1964 American Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 12:22pm
I have wrapped a sponge with plastic & then use a stick to hold up the patch with it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 12:31pm

. I question how to keep the new matt and resin in place since it's overhead. 
I have used party balloons inflated to hold resin and cloth in place. It's sort of like the reverse of vacuum bagging. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 12:43pm

Yes, but the issue I have is handing a large sum of money to a shop that says "We can't guarantee that it won't crack again"... More than 1 place said this....

I'm finding the cracking again hard to understand if the backing at the repair is done properly. Maybe try yet another shop? What's the insurance company saying? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

. I question how to keep the new matt and resin in place since it's overhead. 
I have used party balloons inflated to hold resin and cloth in place. It's sort of like the reverse of vacuum bagging. 

I REALLY like this!!! Brilliant... thanks for suggesting it...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2020 at 7:46pm
I've begun the work... Removed the hanging chads,,,, err fiberglass mat/resin. found that what I thought was the backside of the gelcoat was more of the blocks that obviously are for a stronger hull... They'll go right back where I found them. I supported the "blocked" area and added my first layer of cloth and epoxy resin. It went on nicely without any sagging issues. The area is not entirely overhead which I think is helping quite a bit. Very happy with the work so far and quite confident that taking my time will yield very good results. thanks for all the help here!

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2020 at 6:06pm
second layer on. 1st and 2nd layers tie everything together as it was before... Subsequent layers will bring the new stuff where the old stuff was removed out to the previous thickness... It's slow going, but it's going...

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2020 at 6:50pm
Rick,
Glad to hear you're making some progress. How about some pictures? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2020 at 9:36am
Laying all the layers at once is best, if possible. This will bond the layers better than if they dry and the next layer is mechanically bonded to the previous.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

Laying all the layers at once is best, if possible. This will bond the layers better than if they dry and the next layer is mechanically bonded to the previous.

that makes sense... I should be able to do this going forward...  thanks

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2020 at 10:37am
It worked!! I successfully put on multiple layers in one pass... Just took my time between layers enough that the previous one was tacky but not soaked,,, No sagging or dripping... Once the latest resin dries, I'll check the thickness compared to previous... I might be done on the underside...

Foam question... I always assumed the foam I scooped out to do the FG work was flotation but in the FG repair section of West marine all I found was sealant foam. Have I been wrong all these years and the stuff sprayed into our Nautiques along the deck/hull joint is for sealing?? (Would not be the first time I was wrong :-)

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 12:12pm
10-12 layers... I think I'm done on the underside less the aforementioned foam... Now I'll move to the top side. My plan is to remove any cracked gelcoat or FG and create small V shaped openings. If the depths are minimal, I'll just insert a little epoxy resin. considerable depths I'll use some type of filler also... Might also use my newly acquired, fancy-dancy West Marine syringes to inject some resin, if needed.

again, thanks to all here for the help!

pics....

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 12:21pm
Rick,
Look'n great. 

One word of caution regarding the top side and that's don't use the epoxy resin there. The best fill will be gel coat and it doesn't stick to epoxy. If resin is needed there, you will need to use polyester or vinylester. Small kits of gel are available and even come with tints to mix and match your existing.  

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 12:34pm
I wouldn’t be injecting straight epoxy resin in any case, but I don’t understand your plan or what you’re trying to accomplish. Maybe you can elaborate.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I wouldn’t be injecting straight epoxy resin in any case, but I don’t understand your plan or what you’re trying to accomplish. Maybe you can elaborate.

Voids in his layup. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic