Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

towers really do suck!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: towers really do suck!
    Posted: September-08-2020 at 11:33pm
But I wanted one anyway. So after much searching around and coming up empty handed I finally pulled the trigger on a very expensive New Dimensions setup. 

Received it this weekend, and tried to size it up on the boat this evening. Lo and behold, the front mounting pads are too damn wide. 

Some basic measurements of the tower feet width, assembled, suggest it's about 4" wider than it should be. If I move the whole thing farther back than recommended it does sorta fit (with a bit of pressure), but then the mounting location is inside the vent box and inaccessible for the backing plate so... that won't work. 

Also - packaging job was IMPRESSIVE (took me over a half hour to carefully unwrap) and yet there were still a few fairly significant gouges in the powder coat, suggesting that happened during handling on their end. 

I'll be calling them to get their take on this. Seem like a cautious ratchet strap could pull this into position while I mark the screw locations but that seems pretty dicey honestly. Spent a lot of money on this dang thing to have it be off like that...

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 6:48am
I put a ND tower on my 89 Supra Sunsport it fit perfect right out of the package. Make sure you add support to the gunnels where it mounts the flimsy 1/8'' aluminum plates they give you suck.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:15am
If you gave correct data to the manufacturer, I would send it back to have it cut , rewelded, re-powder costed. 

Don't preload it by bending, that would lead to cracks long term.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:27am
Feel your pain. That's a lot of money for it not to be perfect. I've heard mixed reviews on their customer service. Will be interested to see how this turns out for you.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:43am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you gave correct data to the manufacturer, I would send it back to have it cut , rewelded, re-powder costed. 

Don't preload it by bending, that would lead to cracks long term.

ND uses their own dimensions based on boat model. I just told them it was a 93 sport nautique.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:45am
Originally posted by sport1999 sport1999 wrote:

Feel your pain. That's a lot of money for it not to be perfect. I've heard mixed reviews on their customer service. Will be interested to see how this turns out for you.

Thanks - yeah I’ve read some mixed reviews too but mostly from the late 2000s. The tower is overall beautiful and clearly well made.

I’m bigtime dreading having to pack this thing back up and ship it. If I have to do that I may just ask for a refund.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:09am
Perhaps speak with them and tell them as a result of this experience they should replace AND install the tower.
Pretty sure they are in TN which is likely 5-6 hours away from NC. Just a thought
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:12am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Perhaps speak with them and tell them as a result of this experience they should replace AND install the tower.
Pretty sure they are in TN which is likely 5-6 hours away from NC. Just a thought

Yeah they're actually about 4 hours away from me... may consider doing that if it's the best option. That's a lot of my time spent dealing with this though.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I put a ND tower on my 89 Supra Sunsport it fit perfect right out of the package. Make sure you add support to the gunnels where it mounts the flimsy 1/8'' aluminum plates they give you suck.

Love that boat and tower setup! 

Thanks, that's further reinforcement that this thing should fit perfectly out of the box. The tower itself has the proper dimensions according to the directions they provide, so only thing I can figure is maybe the legs were bent during transport or were warped after they cooled from welding. Really don't know.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 11:06am
towers do really suck... to have shipped! I remember the installation instructions that came with my ND Tower did say to recheck a few (hand written) measurements before installing, and tweak if necessary.  I had to gently tweak mine for a perfect fit.  I was surprised how easily I was able to tweak it; and no damage to the fresh powder coat ( five years later still looks perfect). there was also no "preload" tension to speak of, I just returned the metal to the shape it left the jig. I too had a gouge on one of the bars ; most likely from careless forklift transport, which might have also been part of the reason it wasn't a perfect fit out of the packaging. That said if there was indeed an error made on their end, they need to make it right.

DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by WakeskateNW WakeskateNW wrote:

towers do really suck... to have shipped! I remember the installation instructions that came with my ND Tower did say to recheck a few (hand written) measurements before installing, and tweak if necessary.  I had to gently tweak mine for a perfect fit.  I was surprised how easily I was able to tweak it; and no damage to the fresh powder coat ( five years later still looks perfect). there was also no "preload" tension to speak of, I just returned the metal to the shape it left the jig. I too had a gouge on one of the bars ; most likely from careless forklift transport, which might have also been part of the reason it wasn't a perfect fit out of the packaging. That said if there was indeed an error made on their end, they need to make it right.

Back and forth with ND today... he attributes the gouges to forklift handling as well, said there's been more issues with that recently. Honestly really frustrating to have a brand new tower with big gouges like that. 

Regarding the fitment - he told me to use ratchet straps and pull the front legs of the tower in by the amount that it was out. I actually had to use 2 ratchet straps and pull it in over a foot in order to get about 2 inches of permanent bend - damn thing is SUPER springy (some hairy moments there with the ratchet straps). 

I haven't been able to lift it onto the boat yet but in measuring it out the dimensions look dead on now so I'm feeling confident. 

Realistically I'd like for them to just handle it, but not sure how that would work... Any solution that gets them involved is a huge pain in the ass for me, so if there's a reasonable fix that I can do to get the tower installed I'm all for it. Really hope this fits now. 
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 3:25pm
I don’t think it’s reasonable for you to bend that. I did that on a Nautique tower to make it fit another Nautique and it was to achieve 6” narrower (like yours). That’s way too much for helping a supplier fix a major error. I used come along not ratchet straps. It was super easy with the come along.
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 4:18pm
 I feel your frustration. I definitely wouldn't proceed with the install until all the feet sit flush to the deck, exactly where they are supposed to be. 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 4:23pm

I definitely wouldn't proceed with the install until all the feet sit flush to the deck, . 

Plus 1

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I definitely wouldn't proceed with the install until all the feet sit flush to the deck, . 

Plus 1

Definitely will not. I've followed his directions to narrow up the front legs, but if I put them on and the feet aren't flush I'm not going to go any further. 
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 5:17pm
Tyler,
Do they recommend bedding the feet to the deck? IE: use a bedding compound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tyler,
Do they recommend bedding the feet to the deck? IE: use a bedding compound.

Negative - they used to do that, but now they just use a rubber gasket. Under the deck there’s an aluminum backing plate that’s glassed in.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:30pm
Like said above a Come Along should be easier to work with. Harbor Freight might make an inexpensive one or look to rent one. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:25pm
Happy to report that my ratchet strapping paid off. Legs are perfect now and feet fit flush. ND has also been very helpful, Wayne was apologetic for the experience and has been answering all of my questions promptly.

Next hurdle is screwing this thing down. When I removed the foam from under the gunwale I was sad to see a large structural looking fiberglass strip that makes the mounting surface anything but flat. So I think I’m going to have to build it up with some wood and fiberglass under the rear mounts so that I get a reasonably flat surface for the mounting plate. Always something.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:31pm
I’d skip wood but others have been successful with it. I used starboard. It’s somewhat compressible but I just kept tightening until it was totally compacted.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I’d skip wood but others have been successful with it. I used starboard. It’s somewhat compressible but I just kept tightening until it was totally compacted.

Did you have the same issue? Honestly not really sure how to approach this. Was thinking cut a strip of wood down, glass it in there, drill the holes through and put the plate over everything.

Also just thinking that some thick washers might be enough...
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:44pm
If a stack of washers works for you you’ll probably be fine. The less stuff you have under there that has any give to it the less flex and motion you’ll have in use.

I had a fairly flat surface underneath in the 96 SS hull. Your tower will be (as HW says) “solider” than mine was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 2:27pm

Understand Starboard is HDPE. It can be mechanically fastened but not glued in since even epoxy won't stick to it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 2:37pm

If a stack of washers works for you you’ll probably be fine. The less stuff you have under there that has any give to it the less flex and motion you’ll have in use.

I had a fairly flat surface underneath in the 96 SS hull. Your tower will be (as HW says) “solider” than mine was.

I just want to make sure whatever I do is stable and doesn’t cause cracking of the deck...
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 2:52pm
I have some scrap star board I can give you. It is at my home here in Denver, NC.  When you drill the holes in the gel coat first run the drill backwards when starting. This will help to make sure the gel coat does not crack. Also place tape on the surface before you drill. This also helps too. However, some of your previous photos showed some tape some seems like you might be ahead of my suggestion. 

Let me know if you need the star board. You have my number. Donald Tilley
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I have some scrap star board I can give you. It is at my home here in Denver, NC.  When you drill the holes in the gel coat first run the drill backwards when starting. This will help to make sure the gel coat does not crack. Also place tape on the surface before you drill. This also helps too. However, some of your previous photos showed some tape some seems like you might be ahead of my suggestion. 

Let me know if you need the star board. You have my number. Donald Tilley

Appreciate the offer! To be honest now I’m confused about starboard vs plywood for this application. Kinda thinking 1/2” plywood glassed in might just do the job?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:43am
You’re just looking to spread the load around a bit. You can buy some small pieces of composite at the local hw store and be done with it.

I’ve got to go help a friend install his tower soon so I’m kind of trying to refresh my memory of what to do (and not to do). You’ve already reminded me to look before I drill!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:11am

ND used to include a quart of bondo- Kitty Hair filler with the tower.  On my installation there was also the little strip running under the gunnel that was used to screw the various wires, cables, etc, to.  The instructions were to pile on a bunch of kitty hair, slap the aluminum plate over it and tighten it enough to compress the kitty hair glob between the uneven deck surface and the aluminum plate.   Not the least hokey thing out there, but that thick ol glob of cured kitty hair doesn't need to be carefully fit to the hull to avoid stress concentrations and it is not going to compress over time and loosen up like wood or foam products.  I have had my ND tower installed that way for 10 years and it has seen 800 plus hours of pretty severe use on a big lake with a lot of weight on it, pulling just about every thing at just about every speed… no gel coat or deck cracks.  I retightened the tower bolts once after the kitty hair set up as I didn't want to bend the aluminum plates the first time I compressed everything, but other than that it has been set it and forget it.   I spent a lot of time thinking about better ways to do it and had a barn full of the fanciest composites available but couldn't come up with anything that would have been significantly better. 

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

ND used to include a quart of bondo- Kitty Hair filler with the tower.  On my installation there was also the little strip running under the gunnel that was used to screw the various wires, cables, etc, to.  The instructions were to pile on a bunch of kitty hair, slap the aluminum plate over it and tighten it enough to compress the kitty hair glob between the uneven deck surface and the aluminum plate.   Not the least hokey thing out there, but that thick ol glob of cured kitty hair doesn't need to be carefully fit to the hull to avoid stress concentrations and it is not going to compress over time and loosen up like wood or foam products.  I have had my ND tower installed that way for 10 years and it has seen 800 plus hours of pretty severe use on a big lake with a lot of weight on it, pulling just about every thing at just about every speed… no gel coat or deck cracks.  I retightened the tower bolts once after the kitty hair set up as I didn't want to bend the aluminum plates the first time I compressed everything, but other than that it has been set it and forget it.   I spent a lot of time thinking about better ways to do it and had a barn full of the fanciest composites available but couldn't come up with anything that would have been significantly better. 

Thanks for saying that - that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out. But that gap between the deck surface and that reinforced bumped-down section is almost an inch, seems like too much for the kitty hair (which they did include) to fill. So I actually chopped down a piece of hardwood and used that with the kitty hair to fill the void and then put the metal plate over the whole thing to even it out. Seems like that will work ok, but if it loosens up I'll remove that and just fill the whole thing with glass. Really hard to work with the glass upside down and cramped. 

BTW - I did NOT realize that in that foam-filled mess under there that there's a pvc pipe carrying a half dozen wires aft... so I drilled right through them. Now I have the joy of re-doing those wires. 

Bigger issue for me has been the front mounts. There is basically no room to work up there and the under-deck surface is extremely uneven. It's like trying to mount a flat plate on a "W" surface and fill in all the voids while keeping everything lined up. I figured out that I just can't do it that way... so I used some thicker aluminum stock that I had saved and made a super solid plate for two out of the three through bolts. For the third (which goes through some really thick glass where the deck-eye is mounted) I'm either going to do a screw with some sealant, or maybe through bolt with a couple fender washers at a weird angle. I asked ND about it and he said that sounded fine.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2020 at 9:35pm
Wanted to put some closure on this... 

Finally got the beast installed. Pictures below. Honestly, this was not what I expected. I successfully used ratchet straps to tighten up the front feet width about 2". Amazingly I got it just right. It required a TON of force, had to double up straps, and I was sweating bullets. I also had to squeeze the legs in lengthwise a bit while it was on the boat. Then of course the bimini was a bit wide, so bent that in too (much easier). 

I cut my own aluminum plates for underneath the deck in the front, because I could only get two of the bolts attached using a single plate so I wanted something thicker. For the third bolt, I cut a strip of aluminum and glassed it in (at a sharper angle because the glass is thicker in spots - hard to explain). 

The rear mounts - used a block of hardwood and glassed that in first to make it level underneath the gunwale, then glassed their aluminum plate on top of that. 

This was seriously such a pain in the ass. I expected the mounting process to be difficult, but it just felt like this tower wasn't made for my boat, and that's EXACTLY what I was trying to avoid by buying a brand new, expensive ass tower from New Dimension directly instead of a used FCT-2 tower for a 1/3 of the price. Not to mention all of the dings and gouges caused by shipping... 

The company is giving me some money back for the hassle, and he was very responsive in terms of helping me problem solve as I had a million questions. 

End of the day - tower is on, looks good, and is solid as hell. I'll likely spray paint over the scratched areas (one in particular is VERY obvious). If someone reading this post was considering this in the future, 2 bits of advice: First, consider just getting a used FCT-2 tower or even a (Gasp) universal tower for a much lower price. Or, if you're able to bring the boat to ND... I wish I would have just done that. It would have been a 2-3 day adventure, but these could have been their hassles and no shipping damage. 

Also... no explanation as to why this tower's measurements were wrong. Which makes me wonder whether their dimensions are wrong for other towers / boats. 

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic