Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize pump AF no plugs removed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize pump AF no plugs removed
    Posted: September-06-2020 at 10:13pm
I have a 1992 Nautique and has always been winterized at a dealer. This year I had it winterized by a "Mobile" service. He came with about 15 gallons of AF and put it in a huge bucket. He connected a hose from the bucket to the water inlet, started the engine and ran it for about 10 minutes. The returned AF (from the exhaust) went back into the bucket. Turned off engine, and that was it. He checked the AF with a meter and still read good to -30 degrees C.  I was blown away. No drain plug removal at all.

Am I safe with this method? Told me he's been doing winterize like this for years.

Hope I don't have a surprise in the spring.
Rene Wittmer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 5:50am
Are you safe.................good question

Since he drained nothing before starting and you had a few gallons of water in the engine and exhaust system, the mobile guy diluted that 15 gallons or so of anti freeze with the few gallons of water that didn't get drained.

Could you have better protection..............yes you could if he had drained the engine and manifolds before sucking up the antifreeze, but that's extra time and effort on his part.

Lots of dealers do what he did, it's kinda "mass production" winterizing

You could check with the previous dealer you used to see what they did (which may have been the same thing) or ............

You could drain the antifreeze from engine and manifolds and leave it basically dry and empty or you could put some undiluted anti freeze back in after the drain job.

That way in Mid January, in the middle of a cold snap, you'll be able to sleep at night instead of wondering if your engine or manifolds are cracking away out thereWink

Plenty of threads here on CCF with plenty of info and different methods and opinions, but most have one thing in common and that's NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, DRAIN THE WATER FIRST if you want the best protection

Edit............Maybe you should read the thread in the link a couple of times, since you asked basically the same question a couple of years ago.

You'll see that common theme........drain first for the best results

And you'll also see in one of your posts that your old dealer did it the same way because they're "too busy" to pull plugs and drain first

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 6:29am
Rene,
If I may ask, what did he charge for this service? Did the cost come with a guarentee in writing for freeze damage?  I too recommend going back and draining the engine.  You'll be safer. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:53am
I only takes about 10 minutes to drain the water in that boat . I don't get why he would skip that step then waste time running it for 10 minutes? Does it have a heater ?
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 9:04am
The guy charged me $150. I will definitely check with my CC dealer to see what he had done before. The only reason I went with the mobile service is because my boat was 350km away this year. Next year the boat will be back. I will go back and drain the manifolds just to be sure.

Thanks for the extra advice.
Rene Wittmer
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 9:56am
I’ve been doing it that way for years, but I do drain the motor first but I only use about six gallons. I would think15 gallons would be more than enough to make a  better than a 50/50 mix with the two or three gallons that was left in the motor. 
 I’m sure the reason he ran it for 10 minutes was to bring it up to temp so the thermostat would open.
If you’re worried and for piece of mind, drain some out and check it with the correct meter but again I would think 15 gallons is quite sufficient for a very cold mixture. 
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 10:10am
@gun-driver, I just spoke with my mobile mechanic and he told me that he has been winterizing boats for years and he never removes any plugs at all. The AF he brings to his shop and reuses it until he sees that the mixture is no longer strong enough for the cold weather. The method used is safe when you have "heaters" like my CC has.  
Rene Wittmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 10:42am
It doesn't matter how many galons you use,it's how well did the antifreeze mix with the water? Are there any pockets in the cooling that didn't get the velocity to mix both together? 

Rene,
Again, did the cost include a gaurentee in writing? The guy isn't going to tell you how many blocks he's busted! As mentioned, why doesn't he take the time to do the winterizing the safe way and drain the block first? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:00am
Pete how are you sure you get all the water out when you just drain? Is the motor level, is it leaning to one side, do you raise and lower the nose, how do you know the heater was empty  and got antifreeze into it?
  There’s more than one way to skin a cat Pete, and I believe that running the motor to reach thermostat open temp is better than just draining and pouring especially if you have a heater and or shower like the poster and I do. 
  I do agree that it’s better to drain then run but again he used plenty of antifreeze.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:23am
All this discussion and there's been no question like..........."what kind of antifreeze does the mobile guy use?"

How can you have a good argument about antifreeze without knowing that Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

How can you have a good argument about antifreeze without knowing that Wink

Good point Big smile
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 12:05pm
Paul,
I will tilt a boat bow low whenever I can to get that starboard side block drain as low as possible. You are correct that there are no gaurantees that all the water is out but certainly I feel better than just the pump through. 

Regarding heaters and showers, the best way is to blow them out unless you can confirm removal of hoses will create a low point for draining.

Keeep in mind that for draining, the T stat doesn't come to play since it's at the high point in the system. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 2:54pm
So Rene...........it looks like your boat has been winterized the same way by the dealer over the years and nothing has cracked yet

Now you have a new guy doing it the same way.

You really don't know what's been used for antifreeze though. I'd ask him a few more questions.

You must be in the Canadian Banana Belt if protection down to minus 30 degrees C (minus 22 degrees F) is always gonna keep you protected Wink

I guess you'll have to decide if you're comfortable

If you're not, then drain the engine,exhaust manifolds, trans cooler and whatever heaters you have..

If you're comfortable, you're all set

rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 4:58pm
Keno,
You're right. I don't really feel comfortable, so I will go back next weekend and drain as you suggested. I did check and there is NO warranty against frost damage. My dealer will guarantee the job and will take responsibility for any damages. The dealer charges me $582 cdn which includes winterize of engine, fuel stabilizer and engine oil change. Since I really enjoy my Nautique I will go back to a full servicing dealer.

Thanks for your insight.
Rene Wittmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 5:36pm
Rene can you do us a favor?
When you drain the antifreeze out of the motor Can you save enough to get a test on it, that way we will know(for the future) and you will know if he did a good enough of a job or not to get it through a Canadian winter. And if it tests good enough $150 sounds better than the $582 from the dealer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 6:23pm
You can drain & leave dry for $0.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

How do you know the heater core and/or the shower is dry??? Also leaving it dry is an invite for rust/corrosion of the small passages.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

How do you know the heater core and/or the shower is dry??? Also leaving it dry is an invite for rust/corrosion of the small passages.

There must be 50 ways to drain your water, I think that was an old Simon and Garfunkel tune Wink About 1975 or so

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Paul,
The drain only was and still is a popular option. It's been done since true antfreeze wasn't even around. I have never had a problem with rust/corrosion nor have I ever heard of a problem. As an example, my 54 has never seen a drop of antifreeze and the neighbors 49 Chris that I take care of has never seen any ether. Also, the engines I do add antifreeze to, I never even try to fill up the block. Maybe a gal. at most to get the low spots. Again, rust has never been an issue. I know of 2 marinas in my area that adding antifreeze for winterizing is an option after draining. 

Regarding the heater or shower, the best way is to disconnect and blow them out 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:06pm
Just playing the devils advocate as there is more than one way to do and do it right. 
  With the accessory’s of of the newer boats with showers, heaters, ballast tanks, ballast pumps the “OLD” just drain and leave dry may not be the easiest way anymore.
  I find so much easier and complete to just to run it and pump it through out the whole system, no blowing this or that, just run it and pump it... and DONE
 As for the cost, if 6 gallons of $3 antifreeze is a budget breaker maybe you should take up chess or checkers.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 11:46am
I realize you stated that the engine was run for a few minutes first.  Keep in mind that if the engine was not at full operating temperature, then the thermostat was likely still closed and little or no antifreeze found its way into the engine block. In many marine applications, the thermostat is designed to let water bypass the thermostat (while thermostat is still closed) and go directly to the exhaust manifolds.  As such you may have no A/F in the engine block.  I would opt to pull the drain plugs and drain all fluid from the engine.  If you are still wanting A/F in a cold, drained block, you can add It directly into thermostat housing or into the intake manifold through temp sender port.

Most of the “environmentally friendly” A/F that I’ve seen doesn’t have anti corrosion additives.  Yes, there are some that do have anti rust additives, but I prefer the “dry block” lay-up procedure as I just don’t see the value in the marine A/F. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 2:33pm
I'm sure the guy watched the temp gauge to ensure it was up to temp.

Being that you're pumping hot recirculated water back in it doesn't take it long to get warm. The 10 minutes he ran would be more than enough time to get the motor up to temp to open the T-stat.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 3:21pm
It seems people are still confused about what the thermostat does- it should be noted that it controls water flow OUT of the engine (not IN). It can also be highly dynamic- just getting the engine “up to temp” doesn’t mean that it opened at all- let alone that it opened long enough for any presumed mixture ratio of AF to have backfilled in its place. The path out the exhaust manifolds is different and while it’s interesting to note the freeze protection offered by what came out the back, it doesn’t mean that’s what you’ve got inside the block.

Ken’s comfort level comment is spot on. I know what I’d be doing.
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:13pm
Winterization side note:  I just talked to a very reputable Nautique dealer a few weeks ago and they said they changed their approach on winterization awhile ago and are not filling and treating the gas tanks anymore rather they are leaving tanks at a relatively low level and treating the gas that is in the tank before putting away.  Then come the start of the season they are advising their customers to put in some small amount of fresh gas and having them run the majority of the fuel out before adding more "new" gas.
Just passing on what information was relayed to me by a very reputable dealer.
SRB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:31pm
One size fits all doesn’t work well on fuel tank storage either.

I have seen lots of bad things happen when people run their tanks very low... they pick up junk and contaminate their entire fuel system. With that caution in mind, I would:

If I had a metal fuel tank I would keep it relatively full to prevent moisture from corroding it over the winter.

If I had a plastic tank I would let jt get fairly empty before storing for the winter.

Either way I’d be sure that the fuel was of high quality before storing and I’d top it off with fresh in the spring. Fuel quality/freshness has made a much bigger difference than anything else in my boats- with what I now assume was lower quality (lower cost) fuel, stabilizer never helped. I couldn’t get the boats to start if they had sat for 2 weeks (without a shot of fresh down the throat). With what I believe to be better fuel, my boats will start on 2yr old fuel. Both are/were e10.

My 2 cents.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:32pm
Here here Tim
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:24pm
Kind of a blanket statement- there are approximately 20 different blends of gasoline through out the country-what works somewhere might not in others. Right now I'm using 2 year old Illinois fuel in 3 different tractors. I have had 3 month old Florida gas go bad eating a tank liner. Because of that I drain every thing except the tractors now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Kind of a blanket statement- there are approximately 20 different blends of gasoline through out the country-.
I remember one year after Tim was at the Green Lake reunion he thought the midwest gas was bad because of the color. It was too orange/yellow for him. Big smile LOL

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:08am
Originally posted by rwittmer rwittmer wrote:

I did check and there is NO warranty against frost damage.

Hmm, This sure tells all about the pump through process! 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:15am
Every year these posts come up on how you can save time not having to pull 5 drain plugs . It takes more time to change the oil . I have been doing my boats the same way for better than 30 years . Drain it then fill it at the raw water pump hose going to the thermostat until it comes out the exhaust . Only difference is now that I live in the south I only do 33% antifreeze instead of 50%. The real time is spent on cleaning,waxing and polishing all my boats are put away ready to start the new year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic