NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 takes longer to start when warm

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 11:42pm
Following.. My 2000 Gt40 always takes 2-5 seconds to start before it hits.Its been doing it since i bought it 5-6 years ago ..
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 1:20am
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

Following.. My 2000 Gt40 always takes 2-5 seconds to start before it hits.Its been doing it since i bought it 5-6 years ago ..

I’m working on it! I’ll keep updating the thread.
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 5:36am
Hey, just saw this thread. Didn't realize it would be after midnight before I got through most of it. Just curious (in case I missed it)? Did you look into the idle control valve? The issue I've had with both of my GT40s was longer starts when hot, and loping. Never an issue if stopping and starting it within 5-10 minutes. But if it is hot (so extra hot under the engine cover, it is a problem (some level of fuel vaporizing when hot (ambient). I changed y idle control valve and it pretty much resolved the problem (especially the loping).

One thing you can actually do to test it when you are having the long start issue (hot). Remove the valve from the throttle body (easy), and then start it. With the valve off, the engine gets more air, so will probably run around 1,500rpm or so.at 'idle'. But if it starts right up with the valve off, you could be having an issue with the idle valve.

Anyway, since you've replaced juswt about everything else, something to consider before you spend $$ on new injectors (which I've been thinking about)..
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

Hey, just saw this thread. Didn't realize it would be after midnight before I got through most of it. Just curious (in case I missed it)? Did you look into the idle control valve? The issue I've had with both of my GT40s was longer starts when hot, and loping. Never an issue if stopping and starting it within 5-10 minutes. But if it is hot (so extra hot under the engine cover, it is a problem (some level of fuel vaporizing when hot (ambient). I changed y idle control valve and it pretty much resolved the problem (especially the loping).

One thing you can actually do to test it when you are having the long start issue (hot). Remove the valve from the throttle body (easy), and then start it. With the valve off, the engine gets more air, so will probably run around 1,500rpm or so.at 'idle'. But if it starts right up with the valve off, you could be having an issue with the idle valve.

Anyway, since you've replaced juswt about everything else, something to consider before you spend $$ on new injectors (which I've been thinking about)..

DUDE! I have one, It just came in! Im replacing one thing at a time so I can find it lol. But yes! I re-read my post from sunday and left out the Idle control when I listed the injectors and distributor. Its going on today. Ill keep updating and will make dam sure I post when the hot starts are gone since tons of people have this issue. I also already have The injectors and distributor in the shop. Just trying to do process of elimination

Thanks man!
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 1:15am

Got it installed tonight. Test run is Saturday. Will report back!
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 3:59am
Cool. I actually tried to get by with cheaper 3rd party valve which didn't work right. I got the correct one from SKIDIM and it's ran great ever since. Just keep in mind that you'll always have a little bit of a problem with fuel vaporization when ambient is hot (high 80s/90s). It really cooks under the engine compartment; it's just the nature of the beast with a MFI GT40 in a Nautique. But I hope this helps your engine run better. After checking fuel rail pressure, this would be then next thing I would have tested (since I've dealt with it before).
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 12:28pm

Cool. I actually tried to get by with cheaper 3rd party valve which didn't work right. I got the correct one from SKIDIM and it's ran great ever since. Just keep in mind that you'll always have a little bit of a problem with fuel vaporization when ambient is hot (high 80s/90s). It really cooks under the engine compartment; it's just the nature of the beast with a MFI GT40 in a Nautique. But I hope this helps your engine run better. After checking fuel rail pressure, this would be then next thing I would have tested (since I've dealt with it before).

I have a fuel pressure guage permantly mounted on the rail. Its good 38 engine off key on, 31 idling and holds good pressure for a while.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

I have a fuel pressure guage permantly mounted on the rail. Its good 38 engine off key on, 31 idling and holds good pressure for a while.

Good idea. I only use mine for the boat anyway. :)
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2020 at 8:01pm
Update lol.
Just got home from the lake

I think it’s as good as it’s gonna yet. Takes 4 seconds to start now. It runs better, has good power and I’m happy with it. I’m still going to do the already purchased distributor and injectors. It can’t hurt and they are in the shop here so I’m going to get those in soon. We set for a long time today and it was hot. It was after we had ran a while also. It fired in 4 seconds. Not immediately like when I’m getting ready to back it off the trailer but it is what it is. I’ll keep posting updates. Thanks guys
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2020 at 9:53pm
So what's 4 seconds anyways?

Just be glad you haven't tweaked yourself into the dreaded "loping idle"
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2020 at 1:38am
Lol not yet anyhow. I changed to 100% ethanol free now also. It seems to smell better if that’s possible. Less gassy. Hell, that’s just probably me wishful thinking lol.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2020 at 1:36am
Hey C-Heath,

Did you replace the injectors or just had them cleaned?  Any step-by-step instructions on pulling and replacing them?  I just ordered a new set after using a stethoscope this morning and hearing that one of them doesn't appear to be firing well.  My current boat ('97 project boat) sat for well over a year with no Stabile in the gas.  Lots of injector cleaner, but it misses at idle when cold.  My '96 (which I bought new) never had any problem, but I used it year-around so there was never stale gas in it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2020 at 7:19am
Chris hasn't been logged on since August 20th.

Maybe your question will bring him back with more of his "parts replacement adventure"

I hope so Wink
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:45am
YO!!! Im back! Sorry! Im a true fan not just here for help. I have NOT replaced the injectors or the distributor. I just ran out of time and we actually are having a real fall here in NC. Usually it goes from 90 to 28 overnight. I am planning on doing the last two items in the spring. My boat ran great with the help of some awesome folks here this year. Im looking forward to getting the injectors and distributor as Im sure that this will put an end to my long starts. Thanks again all you guys!
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Chris hasn't been logged on since August 20th.

Maybe your question will bring him back with more of his "parts replacement adventure"

I hope so Wink

you the man Keno!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:54am

YO!!! Im back! Sorry! Im a true fan not just here for help. I have NOT replaced the injectors or the distributor. I just ran out of time and we actually are having a real fall here in NC. Usually it goes from 90 to 28 overnight. I am planning on doing the last two items in the spring. My boat ran great with the help of some awesome folks here this year. Im looking forward to getting the injectors and distributor as Im sure that this will put an end to my long starts. Thanks again all you guys!

You should never ever say you're sure until after the problem is fixed Wink

Good to see ya around and hear the boat runs great except for that nagging little issue
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 1:42pm

You should never ever say you're sure until after the problem is fixed Wink

Good to see ya around and hear the boat runs great except for that nagging little issue

Well everything else is new lol. Ouch
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 11:38am
FINAL UPDATE!!! FIXED!!!!!!!!! I wanted to for sure let everyone know that my LONG HOT START has been fixed. I want to thank all you guys for the help. You know who you are but especially @KENO.He has spent a ton of time with me and many others to try and resolve their issues. I ran out of time at the end of summer last year but really the only thing I had not changed to Aleve this hot start problem was injectors and the distributor. Well, this spring, I had planned to do one at a time so I would know for sure which one was the issue and the injectors was first up and it fixed the hot start problem. I ran her up the lake with some pretty hard enthusiasm for about 30 min, parked, dropped anchor and waited. After about 20 min I went to fire her up and instead of the 5-8 second wind of the starter I got a quick, crisp start! Under a second. I'm pumped! Thanks again to everyone! Lets hit the water. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 12:45pm
Hey Partswapper, glad to hear it's fixed.

Anybody gives you any crap, just smile and say "my boat runs the way it should now" Wink

You did make one serious mistake though, you called the boat a "her" and you know how some of those females can be pretty finicky, moody, downright crazy etc and you never know exactly what they'll do next.

After about the third time in a row that it's starting like this, then you can declare victory.

And remember..............spare parts are good to have on hand

Here's an example of a couple of them crazies

So.........congrats Chris , you're the one who did all the work Wink
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 8:36pm

Hey Partswapper, glad to hear it's fixed.

Anybody gives you any crap, just smile and say "my boat runs the way it should now" Wink

You did make one serious mistake though, you called the boat a "her" and you know how some of those females can be pretty finicky, moody, downright crazy etc and you never know exactly what they'll do next.

After about the third time in a row that it's starting like this, then you can declare victory.

And remember..............spare parts are good to have on hand

Here's an example of a couple of them crazies

So.........congrats Chris , you're the one who did all the work Wink

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 11:15am
So you had a dripping injector Angry, nothing worse than when your injector drips LOL
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 10:35am
yes or many dripping lol
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 2:37am

FINAL UPDATE!!! FIXED!!!!!!!!! I wanted to for sure let everyone know that my LONG HOT START has been fixed. I want to thank all you guys for the help. You know who you are but especially @KENO.He has spent a ton of time with me and many others to try and resolve their issues. I ran out of time at the end of summer last year but really the only thing I had not changed to Aleve this hot start problem was injectors and the distributor. Well, this spring, I had planned to do one at a time so I would know for sure which one was the issue and the injectors was first up and it fixed the hot start problem. I ran her up the lake with some pretty hard enthusiasm for about 30 min, parked, dropped anchor and waited. After about 20 min I went to fire her up and instead of the 5-8 second wind of the starter I got a quick, crisp start! Under a second. I'm pumped! Thanks again to everyone! Lets hit the water. 

So, after all of that, I ran into a long start when hot situation a week ago.  At our club site there can be no more than three boats launched at a time (club has exclusive use of a perc pond).  It is boat rotation, so even when hot, my boat never sits for more than an hour at the longest before I'm starting it again; usually more like either 20 or 40 minutes.

Because of the drought, we lost water a month ago, and I 'rented' a private lake (was in the middle of doing some stargazer/zbox tweaking when we ran out of water).  Put my boat in, ran a set.  Then it sat in the water for about 2.5hrs before we did another set.  Ambient was mid-upper 80s.  It probably took 7-9 seconds before it started after sitting for that long; I'm sure it was some level of vapor lock.  I have not replaced the ICV on this GT40 (replace it on my old one due to loping).  

Once it started, it was rough for a bit, but I didn't get the normal hot-weather loping that I got on my old GT40; this long start is something I haven't experienced before.  Note:  I replaced all injectors last year so I don't think that is the reason.  I don't think it is the ICV since it wasn't loping; I think it is simply vapor lock/vaporization, and the only 'remedy' is to open the engine compartment to let things cool when it's sitting for long periods of time on a hot day.

But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.  It's hard to duplicate since we don't have water now, and anyplace I take it there's little chance it's going to sit hot for several hours.  I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet, but since once it's running, it's fine, I doubt it is my pumps (but I'll check at some point).

I just figure if I'm going to let it sit more than 60 minutes, I need to open the engine compartment....
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 10:53am
I haven't heard of many vapor lock problems in these boats.  One thing, since they are raw water cooled, after a hard run or any run at speed, you drop to idle and go to the dock/launch, if you can let it idle for a few minutes more before shutting down they will cool themselves down for the most part.  Not all that much heat left to vent with the open motor box at that point.

But if opening the cover helps, it helps.  I hope that solves it!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2022 at 7:14pm

Got a link to the injectors you used? thanks...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2022 at 7:57pm
Have the long start issue as well, worse when hot - it actually feels/smells like a lean condition vs flooding.

Connected a gauge and my fuel pressure just tanks to zero as soon as the pumps stop.  
Is the FP reg supposed to hold fuel pressure in the rail?
Of course with that deflation, leaking injector(s) make sense. 
At 1700 hours re/re anyway... I did get some Bosch injectors off EBAY but yet to put them in.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Got a link to the injectors you used? thanks...

Ford Performance 24 lb injectors.

You will also need some EV6 to EV1 adapters so that the new injectors work with the existing wiring.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 5:20pm
If I had a set of injectors on the shelf, I'd get a regulator and install both.

Your quick bleed down to 0 isn't right and either of the above could cause it.

PS Jonny, you're a little late with a recommendation for Wetskier. He replaced his in the spring Wink
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2022 at 12:03am
I ran some Lucas fuel treatment through. I have a new ign distributor installed too. Things were running great but then I lost WOT, it won't go past say 3800 RPM. Which is odd because with my old distributor it would wail. So I checked timing, TPS, dizzy pickup and everything looked good there.

I ran another fuel pressure test and whoa, as I undid the plastic cap fuel was spurting out. 2 surprises 1. the Schrader valve leak 2 I had fuel rail pressure, after an hour or two sitting.

Problem I have now is fuel pressure drops to 20 PSI at anything over say 58km/h 3700 RPM. It's mid 30's all other times.

Pulled the boat out of water today and new regulator coming from Rock Auto, new injectors going in tomorrow. I'm wonder if I should order the FCC fuel pump.
(I had a 90's Porsche with same sort of mechanical vane Bosch pump and when I replaced it, fuel pressure jumped up quite a bit).  Or the whole FCC upgrade ?

SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 1:43am
Got the new injectors in and well - I ordered the wrong ones, 18lb-ers vs what is needed the 24's :(
They have to come back out when  the proper "blue tops" I just ordered come in.

However 
1. Fuel pressure bounces right up to 39 psi  and holds nicely
2. Starts instantly but was idling really slowly and doesn't rev up (not enough fuel/lean condition)
3. The old injectors are mega-dirty. Made a carboard tray, sprayed TB cleaner it was bubbling up black gunk and 2 or 3 of them wouldn't hold the fluid. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic