NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 nautique rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2021 at 6:47am
The GR is for gear reduction like you said.

It'll turn the engine over faster than the old direct drive starter does though.

It's a fast turning motor and the torque is increased through the gear reduction to the pinion gear

The reduction ratio between the motor and the pinion is about 4.4 to 1

PS......I know it's a new tach, but leave it disconnected initially. The tach or it's associated wiring being grounded when it shouldn't be, will prevent spark and drive you out of your mind. Wink

wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2021 at 12:52pm
Disconnected tach gra from pos side of coil, nothing
Multi meter to engine block ground and neg side of coil, it read 003 key run and key start.
Connected tach gra to neg side of coil, nothing
Multi meter again, same reading.

Never thought to check coil, tomorrow is another day.

Disconnected battery charged to full in under 30 minutes.
Defineately no power after battery switch when turned off, radio is hot to dash feed, switch on ='s radio on, radio can only be turned off by battery switch.

Fresh eyes tomorrow, i'll trace, confirm and multi meter from front to back.

Weather is turning the corner, other boat is calling very loudly
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2021 at 8:11pm
Have i got a deal for you Dan.

I helped a friend of a friend of a friend or something like that put a new distributor in his boat today.

When it was all over with, I was the proud owner of a Prestolite points distributor with a screwdown cap complete with a Reverse Rotation gear on it.

If you think your module is dead, PM me your address and I'll ship it down to you with a ballast resistor and a coil and an extra set of new points.

You should be able to get some spark with that setup to get the engine running while you wait on the DUI.

If you're not sure of how to swap distributors, I'm sure some instructions can get provided to you

How can you turn down a deal like that?  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2021 at 9:38pm
I'm embarrased,  and with humility I accept and will be the proud caretaker of this distributor and return it when the d.u.i. comes in.

Funny, one of my cousins reasoned out to me earlier this evening what i immediately knew when the engine didn't fire up right away. "your in to deep to scrap the project now"  that's what aggravates me.

When i read your post it humbled and reminded me of later in life how i felt after hearing from my parents about christmas presents for my brother and i when we where little kids, how they really couldn't afford them and the self sacrifices they made in order to get them under the tree.

Ill double check part #'s for the fuel pump and d.u.i., make the appropriate calls and place the orders

I'll pm and call you tomorrow, around lunch o.k. or is there a better time.
Thank You,
Dan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 7:01am
Anytime is pretty much OK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 3:53pm
Big thanks to keno and everyone for the motivation and advice.
1 wire was wrong, and i couldn't see it.
New fuel pump and petronix module are ordered, expecting them tuesday.
I guess it's time to order the dual taper shaft and coupler.

Just pouring gas in the carb teaser.
https://youtu.be/dphiGyAi5Qo
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 4:17pm
Great news Dan! Do you happen to be in the Orlando area?

Thanks,

Mark
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 4:22pm
Yeah!   Made my day hearing that too!

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 6:47pm
One stinkin' little wire.

Funny what you can accomplish with a phone call and a TRB wiring diagram Wink

Good job Dan, now you'll have a spare Pertronix module, if the Prestolite module dies

And..........I have another Prestolite points distributor for the "collection of parts that might come in handy to somebody sometime" since Dan didn't end up needing it for anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 10:55pm
ultrarunner, about an hour south of orlando international, in palm bay.

Keno thanks again, i can't think of better hands that points distributor is in.
got your pm, yeah i told them 40 something year old engine screw down cap 2 screw module, but it looks like the wrong one is on the way, ill call tomorrow and get the part number you sent me ordered up. Should be a no problem return.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 6:01am
Congrats Dan.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 7:24am
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

ultrarunner, about an hour south of orlando international, in palm bay.

Ahh, I know Palm Bay. One of my best mates lives there. I went to FL Tech. With that said, I might be doing the airline thing on Sun/Mon to start a trip Tues. If time allows was going to shoot to Palm Bay. Would love to see the boat.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:51am
So my free motor runs now !!!  Thatā€™s great I can swing by tomorrow or Monday to pick it up šŸ‘

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 4:55pm
Ultra, i didn't realize momday is a holiday, so tuesday is gonna be busy for me and won't be around most of the day.

Gunner, yes it started, but if i was you i'd wait until it's a runner with all the kinks ironed out !
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 6:26pm
Iā€™ll shoot you a PM.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:57pm
Shoot that was so inspirational
Iā€™ll even thank Ken and TRB
Nice job gents

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 7:03pm

I talked to vince at skidim today, turns out the right ignition module was ordered, the other module comes with a bushing full of magnets that fit on the shaft under the rotor.
The part that's ordered is lobe sensing and works with either the 8 lobe points cam or the prestolite electric upgraded 8 vane doo-hickey, nk magnet bushing needed, he also said that bushing can break open and drop the magnets, also expect around a 20 degree timing change since the new module is in a different location, setting idle and timing was on the list anyway.

Yesterday i got the ram air installed, should move plenty of fresh air to that engine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 8:56pm

I talked to vince at skidim today, turns out the right ignition module was ordered, the other module comes with a bushing full of magnets that fit on the shaft under the rotor.
The part that's ordered is lobe sensing and works with either the 8 lobe points cam or the prestolite electric upgraded 8 vane doo-hickey, nk magnet bushing needed, he also said that bushing can break open and drop the magnets, also expect around a 20 degree timing change since the new module is in a different location, setting idle and timing was on the list anyway.

Yesterday i got the ram air installed, should move plenty of fresh air to that engine

Kinda makes you wonder why they (SkiDim) sell the PNX-91589 kit specifically for your distributor (Prestolite with the Prestolite module and the 8 vane reluctor wheel aka 8 vane doo-hickey) in their catalog 

I guess you'd have to say that both kits work

I'd install it and make sure it fits and works right. Hope it works out for ya  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2021 at 7:37am
I hope it works too, it's 50 bucks cheaper. Even tho the old one works it makes sense to change it, the wires on the prestolite conversion are a little short and the rubber grommet is starting to wear out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2021 at 10:49am
I just ordered the a.r.e. dual tapered shaft and coupler kit along with the removal tool from ski boat parts online (ron tanis).

Ron is running back and forth from the shop to an area that has wifi so he can process orders and get the shipping started.
Power is out for another 10 days and internet is out for another 30 (both estimated timeframes)
There having a tough time but are still answering the phone answering questions and processing orders.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2021 at 1:05pm

I hope it works too, it's 50 bucks cheaper. Even tho the old one works it makes sense to change it, the wires on the prestolite conversion are a little short and the rubber grommet is starting to wear out.

The Pertronix  Lobe Sensing stuff was around a long time ago, but seemed to get replaced with the kits with magnets and now it's coming back again.

It seems like a case of old tech that's been recycled and hopefully improved. Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2021 at 2:43pm

I just ordered the a.r.e. dual tapered shaft and coupler kit along with the removal tool from ski boat parts online (ron tanis).

Is there a problem ordering direct from A.R.E.?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 2:46pm
Wasn't aware the order could be placed directly.

Fuel pump is on, i used the #1 to tdc then full turn trick to install it, the hard line needed just a bit of manipulation but started at both ends easily and snugged up just fine. Rotor rotation for module install, tdc and 10 degrees all re marked.
Primed with gas up to the pump, wires cleaned up then rain started.
Module install, start idle, time & cable adjust tomorrow i hope.

Adding receipts now, should i go thru the pain, any guesses ?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 3:17pm
No guess but an curious as to the total $$$!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 3:46pm
A touch over 2 thousand more than i thought off the top of my head.
1 extra +ish in fiberglass, resin, gel & tuff coat (all related)
1 extra +ish in the engine, drivetrain, gauges, controls, wiring harnesses, stereo & speakers.

Still have to go into gmail for the trailer but i'd say under 400 in new axel, lugnuts, winch, paint and coupler.
Lights and wiring  for the trailer i had, plus all the heat shrink connectors, cushion clamps screws, looming, misc fasteners and things i had in a box that got used up in the boat, just got used, theres no receipts for any of that.

i'll have to go thru all receipts again specially the local ones like lowes home depot oreilly advance ace for acetone rollers brushes rags nuts bolts fasteners consumables oil belts hoses filters plugs grease paint sand paper grinding discs, 
everything listed from lowes, ace etc, you know, the ole i'll just run up and grab ?   Totalled $ 990.14

I want some guesses tho 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 3:50pm
8,122 dollars and 69 cents Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 4:00pm
Keno your pretty close,  almost like you've done this before.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

8,122 dollars and 69 centsĀ Wink

Very original

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 7:15pm
There was some plug/mold tinkering going on prior to the boat following me home.
Along the way the seat mold was finished and 4 seats pulled, 2 of which ended up in the boat.
From some experimental material a plug was made that can be converted to a usable part once the mold gets pulled from it, the fiberglass stern tube and some other material for the second mold falls under the i wonder if category otherwise known as r&d, ski boat or no ski boat those molds and parts were going to made so after double checking pictures and receipts against eachother in good conscience they can't be tallied.

Pull 1112.39 for the above puts all fiberglass & related @ 4155.05 in material.
To include 2 layer staggered joint laminated 1 piece stringers, floor, custom/modded dog box and seating all made from marine ply wrapped in glass all the way thru gel and tuffcoat.

Easy 20 grand from a fiberglass shop (granted their gel and polishing work would be better)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:04am

Skidim told me there is about a 20 degree timimg difference between the modules.
Some research says turning the distributor in the opposite direction of rotor rotation increases timing.

The rotor turns counterclockwise, to me the new module would be advanced.

rather than turning the distributor so the module is in the same place i'm thinking about moving the plug wires over 1 moving counterclockwise, because i don't know if the engine will start with 30 degrees of advance IF all things are correct 10 degrees timing plus 20 degree difference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic