NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by William777 William777 wrote:

The pressure plate sure did bolt up just as Ken said it would, thank you very much!

Uh oh giving Ken more ammo Wink
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2021 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The pressure plate sure did bolt up just as Ken said it would, thank you very much!

Uh oh giving Ken more ammo Wink

Or he could let Pete explain his lack of comprehension. Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2021 at 6:52am

Gobsmacked here. The pressure plate sure did bolt up just as Ken said it would, thank you very much! .

All right William, could you spell this out a little clearer so Pete will understand, that the plate(whatever it's called) fits Wink

William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2021 at 1:39pm
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2021 at 1:51pm
Ok, so the o-ring on the left is a mystery part. I don't know where it came from. I fear it might be a MOFWS (magnet on the flywheel syndrome) On the blowup schematic it looks like part 83 which looks like it goes into part 84, which I did not disassemble. I don't see where else it could go. Also, the pic on the right is the inside of the pump. Do those groves look deep enough to cause a failure? Thanks all. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2021 at 2:52pm
Hey, I remember the MOWFS syndrome...........page 6 of this same thread, but the pictures have disappeared Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2021 at 11:27pm
Bought a new pump and a rebuild kit. Al done. Now this: with the neutral button pushed in, engaging the transmission, the boat goes into forward and reverse and will stop the prop from spinning in neutral. With the neutral button pulled out and at idle all good but if I rev the engine somehow the transmission engages and the boat wants to go forward, strongly. The shifter is not moving at the transmission, it remains in the neutral position. The boat goes forward whether the throttle is increased by moving the shifter at the helm forwards or backwards towards the stern. Help please. A buildup of hydraulic pressure from the pump being revved forcing the transmission into some forward default mode? Still searching the net but am finding a lot of linkage solutions. Don't think that is my case. Seems to me the neutral button is doing what it's supposed to do. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 7:03am
It sounds like you got yourself a "dirty neutral" there Bill Wink

Seems to me that you're right about the button doing what it's supposed to do.

You have excess drag between the forward clutch plates and it'll turn the prop forward with no hydraulic pressure applied..

Is this happening with the boat in the water or on the trailer?

If it's on the trailer, put it in the water and in a safe spot where you won't hit anything, rev it in neutral and see if the boat moves forward.

It can spin the shaft with no drag from the water while on the trailer and look like it's really screaming along but when it's in the water, it may spin a lot less and not really make the boat move.

If you're already describing what it does in the water, you may get some practice taking it apart again Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 7:27am
Thanks Keno, I had a dirty neutral in the old transmission. The prop would spin in neutral a little at idle. In this case it does not spin at idle, only when the engine is revved. It is happening in the water and the boat really wants to go. If it is excess friction(due to new clutch plates being installed?) could I find a way to jam the output flange somehow and rev in neutral(neutral button pulled out) and wear some of the excess friction off? 
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 1:00pm
I put new clutch plates in my 1978 Nautique and it worked right from the first start.   You might carefully put a couple hours on it and see if it gets better but it should work already.  I have seen dirty neutrals but the only spin slowly in neutral, nothing that would move the boat.  I hope other members can offer better news.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 10:30pm
I'd probably call Joe at FFI and talk to him some about your issues, (just the transmission ones.)

Tell him to take it easy on you, 'cause you're a hairdresser who dabbles in transmission work Wink

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

And if you need it, here's the current contact info for Joe that owns Eric's business now.

I think he did most of the work while Eric socialized on CCF Wink

Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

Hey guys! We have moved to a new location as of June 1st new address is 
1669 w130th unit#403 hinckley oh 44233 are phone number is still the same.(330)273-8291. As always we will be here to answer any questions you guys might have day or night so please don’t hesitate to call. I’ve been working for this company for over 16 years and I’m proud to say that my hard work has payed off cause I Joe D’Amico am the new owner of fantastic finishes marine. Please spread the word for me guys and thank you for reading

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 1:21pm
Update,  
I've taken the transmission out twice and rebuilt it. Still having the same issue with it driving forwards in neutral. Thought maybe the friction plates were too thick due to some manufacturing issues as is the trend these days with the crap coming in from the far east. So I rigged a stop on the output flange and revved it in neutral thinking it might wear a little material off the plates thereby freeing them up. Well, the pressure bent the bolt I used in the rig so it's not a small amount of forward drive there. Way more than a leaky neutral thing. So, after I sunk into another black hole of disappointment, I remembered hammering the air relief valve into its hole on the first rebuild. Thinking maybe I destroyed it and perhaps it's not operating properly. Maybe allowing air inside the tranny to cause the problem? I've ordered a new one. I guess the last possibility is a faulty control valve. Getting close to filling it with cement. I did buy a pressure tester. The pressure in forward and reverse are normal. The pressure in neutral is 0 at idle but when I rev it it buiulds to over 100psi. All pressures being read from the main pressure point on the top of the tranny near the output flange.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 1:28pm
It’s the middle of June. I don’t know what a lost season is worth to you, but I’d just go buy a rebuilt trans and get boating. You’ve served your sentence honorably and if you do sort this out, you’ll always have a spare.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 1:48pm
Thanks tryathelete. I'm prepared to blow this season off. The lake near me is at a 25 year low and half the ramps are already closed, people hitting all sorts of things in the low water. I went to a psychic who channels the Theta aliens and she did a scan of my boat. She said it was afraid of water. I haven't seen any reference to that in any of the many manuals I've researched. She suggested I talk to it and reassure it that the water is safe. I did that between the last two rebuilds to no avail. Maybe she scanned the wrong boat, she was 125 miles away from it at the time.  Think if the last couple of things don't work I'll start a slush fund and buy one before next season. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 1:53pm
Yah low water is the new Covid 21.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 4:45pm
Maybe it is the name William as I would do the same things you speak of in trying anything to make something work!  It also helps to be able to admit these shortcomings to the world via a forum that may or may not tear your head off explaining what we do wrong!  I am just kidding of course about all of this!  I wish you the best of luck and long live CCFAN!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 8:46pm
Bill

You need to check pressure in 2 different places if you want to check your pressure in Neutral, Forward and Reverse.

The spot you describe hooking the gauge to is reading line pressure and with the transmission in neutral at 600 ish RPM, it should read 120 or so PSI. If you shift to forward it should read the same. If it's lower, then you have forward clutch leakage.

To read pressure to the reverse clutches there is a 1/4 inch pipe plug at the top front of the transmission in the forward reverse adapter 
Here's a picture of a gauge hooked there. You'll have to rotate the picture 90 degrees. The transmission is on a test rig but it shows where the gauge gets hooked up.

It should read the same 120 or so as the line pressure at 600 ish RPM. This one is about 135 or so at a little higher RPM

Now if you think the shift valve/pressure regulator is your problem after you viciously attacked it with an automotive jack a while back I have a suggestion.

I just happen to know "this guy" who would send you a good shift valve/regulator so you could put it in the transmission and see if things are any different.

Even if you have no water to launch it, you could sit in the driveway on the hose and do some "make believe boating" and see if it shifts in and out of the gears the way it should. 

It'll at least tell you if that's your problem and as an added bonus, it'll keep one of the more highly entertaining threads here on CCF alive and kickin'.Wink

Send me a PM with your address, and I can get after "that guy" to ship it to you on Monday, probably thru the USPS.

If it works, you could keep it and send me back your bad one so I could entertain myself taking it apart 

Sounds like a fair trade to me, but then again I ain't too smart Wink

Late addition..........another picture showing both test connections

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 12:47am
Keno, that is a world class offer, tell that guy nice work when you see him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 2:17am
Keno, tell that guy he's a gem! The gem of gems! What an amazing offer! It will be very nice to know if it's the valve. Thank you so much! I will go through the pressures tomorrow and report back. Thank you fanoccfan! William means stubbornation in some language!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 6:24am
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the pressures, just send me your address.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 10:43am
Those last 17 people who gave Keno their address for some reason were never heard from again ..... Smile

Very nice offer Keno, you're a class act.

William, hopefully this solves it.  You are braver than me, I sent my old 1:1 out for rebuild when it failed, didn't even consider opening up the case, but my skills are limited.  Hope you are able to get on the water somewhere this summer despite the drought.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 12:33pm
Thank you 63skier, Keno has been incredibly helpful and he continues to amaze. As far as being brave goes, I thank you, but I always say, I have more time than money so I do a lot of things myself.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 3:16pm
For the most part that is exactly why this forum exists, for the Do It Yourself Crowd.

( or cheap bastards like me )
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 3:33pm
One thing is for sure. There’s no KENO on Facebook. The solutions people come up with there are hilarious.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 10:06pm
+1^^^^
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2021 at 5:51am
Well William

I see the USPS is kinda slackin' it when it comes to getting that package delivered.

Tracking seems to say it's delayed and won't be there till sometime after today.

I guess you'll be able to try things out next weekend Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 3:27pm
William

It almost getting to be "getting worried time"

You've probably checked the tracking like I've been doing, and got this message for a handful of days now

Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

I think that may be secret code for "we lost your package and don't have a clue where it might be right now.........but don't worry Wink"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 5:27pm
Translation of that message is “we lost it but hope to find it”.  
I guess the old days of trusting delivery rain or shine are over.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 6:30pm
Lol!! I was thinking maybe it's on a truck instead of a plane? Who knows? No worries till Friday when I go back up to the lake, which is so low it's almost beyond boating anyway. A friend's boat sucked in so much muck, due to the algae plooms , that it clogged his intake and overheated his engine.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 6:47pm
I thought Clear Lake was always low?  Isn't that lake only like 20 feet deep at the deep part?  Pretty lake and large lake but I always hear it is very shallow?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic