NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Noob Determine Interceptor Engine Size

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 12:17am
Sounds like you might be new at this, so a couple other tips as you get it water-ready.

When you run it in the driveway, do not run it dry. Be sure to give it a water supply. This is most easily accomplished by removing the water intake hose from the thru-hull fitting by the transmission, sticking a garden hose into it and clamping the intake hose to the garden hose. If you have been running it dry, there is a chance that you cooked your water pump impeller. If you did run it dry, let us know and we will walk you through that check and fix. Also, once you have it running on the hose, do not put the boat in gear. You will fry the rubber bearing in the strut.

As far as it not loving to start and run when cold, your tune up should address that. A little gas isnt unusual to get these old ones started. They all have their unique sweet spot. Mine likes two pumps of the throttle then a little throttle to turn the key. Usually starts right up with that. Once started, it may sound a little rough, although it should run at absolute idle, with no throttle. It may until it warms up and the choke opens all the way. Normal.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 8:41pm
You may want to list the components you plan to use here before purchasing including the oil, Also change the trans fluid if you are unsure when it was done last.
Write the hours and date on the oil filter with a sharpie for future reference.
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 8:32pm
Thank you so much.   

So, I now see the info I needed was right there all along but that I didn't know that engine displacement and engine size are the same thing. I googled what engine displacement is and see it's commonly specified in (mainly in North America) cubic inches    I feel a little dumb not knowing simply things you all take for granted so thanks for helping me out.

I'm just going to replace the spark plugs and wires as well as the distributor and points for now as well as change the oil of course. Everyone tells me it's not that hard to do those things and my neighbor is engine savvy and ready to help. Not really sure if there's anything else I should be thinking about doing to it, but as long as it's running good, can I assume it doesn't need anything?

So far, the only thing noticeable about this engine is that it doesn't start too easily. I have to engage the throttle a little to get it going then ride a fine line of keeping the throttle in the right spot while it warms up or else it'll stall. Once it's warmed up, it starts right up no problem.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 6:04pm
Here's a little reading for you

interceptor manual

Page 4 is pretty useful, whole manual is actually

Page 1 of your original link seems to have what you need to know too.

289 raw water cooled, right hand rotation

Page 19 has your firing order which is the early small block ford order not the later one that you'll see more often mentioned here on CCF. That's if the engine is original.

You can check the FO by working your way around the cap counter clockwise.

Page 26 has specs and 35 has a wiring diagram just to mention a few good pages.

Edit.... the 2 manuals are the same depends on whether you're reading the original page numbers or the ones on the computer screen. You just subtract 3 from the numbers I mention to have the original page number printed back in 1968 that you got from the reference section.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Almost certainly it's a 302. .

I'd say it's a 289
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 3:59pm
Only use a reputable inboard parts retailer as auto parts will get you in trouble quick. I can't really think of tune up parts being different for sbf. But the marine conversion companies will make a difference. Almost certainly it's a 302. Google difference between 302 vs 351. Head bolt sizes are different as is block heights. I guess it could be a 289, not sure of differences between 289vs302.

I like using skidim.com. Christine's marine, N3 boat works, and nautiqueparts.com are all good too and help/sponsor this site.
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 3:38pm
Hello, I'm a noob about engines and was given a 1968 Correct Craft with a 165hp Interceptor engine in it from my uncle. I'm trying to determine what size engine it is as I was told at the parts store they need that info to hook me with the correct parts.

The model is 165RS
The Spec says 104
The owners manual is here even though I can't find it anywhere inside: https://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/1968_interceptor.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it needs a tune-up before it goes in this year and it's getting warm already! Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic