NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ramlin Trailer Swing Tongue Mod

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramlin Trailer Swing Tongue Mod
    Posted: December-14-2016 at 8:51am
Fellas,
On the older style Ramlin trailers, the tongue can be removed apparently to shorten the trailer, but it does not appear to be a left or right swing "easy thing to do" kind of thing. Has anyone modified that design with a simpler hinged setup that would make the removeable tongue easier to move and thus the trailer easier to shorten?

I.e. How easy would it be for an experienced welding shop to take that old Ramlin trailer design and modify it so that the trailer tongue can quickly and easily swing to the right or left and do so without tools?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Fellas,
How easy would it be for an experienced welding shop to take that old Ramlin trailer design and modify it so that the trailer tongue can quickly and easily swing to the right or left and do so without tools?

Steve,
Very easy for a shop but, have you looked at premade kits?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:05am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:32am
Presumably you are talking about the 1993-2002 correct craft/ramlin swing up tongue trailers? 03+ swing to the side and 92 and prior wouldn't benefit more than a few inches from a swing tongue...
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 10:00am
Thank you.

Pete, the kits are exactly what I had in mind and a bolt on might be a way to go.

Tim, yes. I'm speaking of the 93-02 swing ups.   

I have a 23' deep garage limitation with an 8' high garage door.

I'm interested in a 2000ish and up CC. The way I see it, I'll need to find a rig with a folding tongue and a removable platform to fit the garage depth (even if I purchased a Ski) The ability to modify a trailer to swing easily opens up the possibility to early 2000s boats.

Next question. How easily can a platform be removed and reinstalled? My setup would require that I remove platform, fold trailer tongue and fold tower (if equipped) for every outing.

FYI, my choice in boats (if they'd fit) would be a
Sport/Air,

I don't believe a Sport/Air will fit or if it did, it'd be so tight, it might not be practical for regular use. The Ski would have limitations, but if it were a 2002 or newer, the trunk space would make it doable. The 206 is probably the best option for my family at this time.

Comments, considerations welcome.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 10:24am
Platform is a piece of cake.

If I am not mistaken, I am fitting my 19'6" SN in a 22.5' (inside depth) garage with the platform removed only. Very tight, but it fits, even without taking advantage of the swing up tongue on my '93 trailer. I would not rule out a 21' sport/air, but I'd measure the length very closely. Also need to be particular about trailer brand... Anything (non-cc/ramlin) has a chance of having frame rails that converge too far forward to take advantage of a swing tongue. Any ramlin 03+ should already have the swing tongue, and will shorten more significantly than the 93-02 version (due to the frame geometry).
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 12:19pm
Thanks, Tim.

With regards to the platform. When you say, "piece of cake" does that mean it's easily a one man removal/installation?

Family of women here so I get little to no assistance.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 1:02pm
A 2nd set of hands makes the solid platforms a little easier to keep even (side to side) but I do my slatted version solo regularly. 10sec job including pin removal.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A 2nd hand makes my solo a 10sec job
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 5:06pm
If you turn your hand over it feels like someone else is doing it!!

Solid platform install solo is doable, removal not so much, either way a helper is your best bet!!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 5:17pm

Thanks, Tim.

With regards to the platform. When you say, "piece of cake" does that mean it's easily a one man removal/installation?

I have your ramlin trailer with swing away toungue, removable platform that will require 2 people (my wife helps me and we are still married ). It comes with a gently used, well maintained 206 in just the colors you want.
Delivery can be arranged prior to Christmas.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Thanks, Tim.

I have your ramlin trailer with swing away toungue, removable platform that will require 2 people (my wife helps me and we are still married ). It comes with a gently used, well maintained 206 in just the colors you want.
Delivery can be arranged prior to Christmas.

I need dimensions, Greg
Length (sans platform and with tongue folded)
Width (total on the trailer)
Height (with tower folded)

Oh and a price!
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 8:06pm
Id bet length is between 20'6" and 21'. Width will require a 9' door... 98" or so?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:08pm
I have a 10' door on my garage entrance, Backing in my 1995 Ski Nautique fells very tight even with a 10 foot door.   I have not measured but if you center my boat in the door and the trailer tires are in the entrance there is not really room to walk past it on either side.
You have to shimmy past.   I would not want less than the 10 foot door.
My Ski Nautique with the swim deck and trailer tongue removed sits right at 20 feet long.
Pretty good for a 19'6" boat.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:46pm
Clarification. Garage door is 8'high. I'm guessing 16' wide.

Tim are you suggesting that with the swing tongue, overall length will not exceed actual boat length? I hope you are right.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 12:10am

Clarification. Garage door is 8'high. I'm guessing 16' wide.

Tim are you suggesting that with the swing tongue, overall length will not exceed actual boat length? I hope you are right.

Steve,

Yes, that is what Tim is saying and he is correct. With the platform off and the tongue moved the length will be no longer than the boat length. Then you have to look at width. At least on my 2002 swing up Ramlin.

FYI,
Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 5:38am
My 95 Ski Nautique trailer with the tongue removed is about 6" longer than the actual boat but it is really close and sure helps fit in a garage.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 7:48am
Correct Steve. A 206 on a Ramlin with a swing tongue will have a storage length equal to the boats length. About 18-24" shorter than a 2001 on a cc trailer (no folding tongue or removable platform brackets).

My '90 on dad's former '03 Ramlin:

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 8:35am
All of this helps, tremendously.

Thanks folks.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 10:21am
My original 2000 RamLin had the old-school "hinge up" tongue which I hinged up and down before and after every use of the boat for 10 years. It can be done in 30 seconds. Pull out the bow stop, set it under the trailer, pull the main pin on the tongue, hinge it up and hook the safety chain to the bow eye to keep it hinged up. Easy and effective.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 10:44am
206 with tower folded will definitely fit under an 8' high door, It's possible the 206 with a Ramlin and swing tongue "might" even fit your garage with the platform on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Id bet length is between 20'6" and 21'. Width will require a 9' door... 98" or so?

The width is roughly 100" or 8'-4". I will uncover and measure the length after morning conference calls .
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 2:35pm
Follow up comments and questions. Correction on the garage door. The door is 8'high and 18'wide. Inside garage dimension is a comfortable 23.5'Deep x 22'W. Having said that, any boat purchased will be sharing the space with a Toyota Sequoia. Yes, it will be tight, but currently the Sequoia and a Double Cab Tundra share the space so we are accustomed to the space being a little tight.

I'm going to have a challenge in that the garage is a side loader and the topography won't allow for me to easily back the boat into the garage. It may not even be possible without 15-20 pull up, back up, pull up back up cycles.

How easily can a boat similar to what I've described as ideal, be maneuvered (manhandled) with one of those non-powered trailer dolly things? I'm thinking I could get it close with the truck and with a relatively level drive surface, "push" it by hand where I need it to go. Thinking single axle trailer of course. Am I expecting too much out of me physically and a non-powered trailer dolly?

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 2:49pm

I'm going to have a challenge in that the garage is a side loader and the topography won't allow for me to easily back the boat into the garage. It may not even be possible without 15-20 pull up, back up, pull up back up cycles.

How easily can a boat similar to what I've described as ideal, be maneuvered (manhandled) with one of those non-powered trailer dolly things? I'm thinking I could get it close with the truck and with a relatively level drive surface, "push" it by hand where I need it to go. Thinking single axle trailer of course. Am I expecting too much out of me physically and a non-powered trailer dolly?

I randomly picked the year but get one of these for the Tundra. No dolly, just push the boat into the garage. Before I downsized my vehicle, I had a front mount receiver on every truck I owned and really miss it for tight maneuvering.. You won't believe the difference it makes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 2:55pm
Steve,
I forgot to mention the bad with a dolly. DO NOT use one on ANY slope. Even with the small slope of a garage apron, the boat/trailer will get away from you. Ask me how I know!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 10:39pm
Like Pete says front mount hitch are great. I put this one on to back in a boat once a year,no need for help,it's a one man job. Only down side,at least in my case,it will hit every curb or concrete parking stop. I want to check into cutting the receiver tube off the bottom of the crossmember and welding it on to the top of it. Then cut the bumper cover out from behind the license plate. When you need to use it remove the license plate and connect the ball mount.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 9:43am
Gary and Pete are correct. Back in the day my dad had a front mount hitch on the front of the plow truck and it was very handy. I have many times considered adding one to the Fossett fleet but simply have not pulled the trigger and with the boat lift added this spring the need simply is not as high and the cost of the hitch is about the same as a new BF suit.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2017 at 2:05pm
Fellas, thanks again for all of the information. Please see the attached photos. Both trailers are Ramlins. The red trailer is a single axle 2002. The blue trailer is a tandem axle 2001.

Joel commented above about how easy it was on his former Ramlin to remove the bow stop and then swing the tongue up. That's easy to understand and visualize when you look at the red trailer, but not so much with the blue trailer. Anybody seen the blue trailer setup and can someone explain how that trailer tongue swings or shortens?

Also, I'm guessing that if a tongue is going to swing (up/down or side/side) there must be a length of flex brake line at the hinge point or some sort of quick connect, correct? Can someone confirm that or explain?

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic