NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

96 SN GT-40 Thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 96 SN GT-40 Thermostat
    Posted: October-15-2016 at 5:05pm
I discovered the thermostat on my 96 SN is probably the original. It was rusted and in bad shape, but miraculously still working. So my question is do I need to replace it with one that is exactly the same as the one I pulled out? Or can it be one from Napa autoparts that not "exactly" the same, but fits the engine and is 160 degrees. My mechanic friend says it doesn't matter as long as it fits and has the same temperature rating. See pics..First one is from Napa.....
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2016 at 6:27pm
I may have just solved my own issue. From what I can tell form some research is that the thermostat that was original (looks like a cup) is a "High Performance" "High Flow" thermostat. The other one I got form Napa appears to be just a regular thermostat?
Maybe someone can clarify for me.....I think I am going to take the thermostat back to Napa and just order the exact match of the one I took out...
2Tall - 1996 Ski Nautique GT-40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2016 at 6:54pm
I think I got mine from Nautique parts, a forum supporter. Had to wait a couple days but it works perfect.
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2016 at 7:03pm
I just did the same...ordered it from Nautiqueparts, $34 total for the thermostat, gasket and shipping. that is worth the peace of mind knowing I have exactly what was stock. Thanks!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 12:36am
I think you might want a 143 degree thermostat. Not sure, hopefully someone else will confirm which should be in your engine.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 4:52am
The Fuel Injected GT 40 does use a 160.
My older Carbed 351 used the 140.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 7:41am
JD,
Since the stat was still working, what was it that caused you to open up the housing to find the rusty stat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I think you might want a 143 degree thermostat. Not sure, hopefully someone else will confirm which should be in your engine.

Pretty sure that the GT-40 is a 160 degree cooling system.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 11:43pm
In answer to your question about why I checked it even though it was working:
1. I just got the boat last fall at the end of the year and I have been checking all kinds of things as I think of them, and I was winterizing and pulled the hoses and the housing.
2. I had a mastercraft that almost stopped running and I pulled the thermostat housing and the thermostat was so corroded it didn't even resemble a thermostat. It looked like a twisted rusted chunk of metal. So I always have that vision in the back of my mind.
Btw: I am sure it is the 160 degree thermo for the efi gt40 it has run at 160 consistently all summer and I did a bunch of research on it too. Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 11:36am
A 160 thermostat will result in the engine running 170-175

A 142/143 thermostat will result in the engine running 155-160

Your mechanic friend is right in that a thermostat is a thermostat. If it fits it's right and simply choose the temperature you want.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

A 160 thermostat will result in the engine running 170-175

A 142/143 thermostat will result in the engine running 155-160

Your mechanic friend is right in that a thermostat is a thermostat. If it fits it's right and simply choose the temperature you want.

I guess that's why I mentioned maybe 143, didn't mean to give bad information. My '98 with GT-40 runs 160 on the gauge and from prior reading here I knew that had to be a 143 stat. So, I don't know if my boat had the wrong stat when I bought it, or it's right, or what the story is.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 2:00pm
I'd feel pretty safe running a 160 thermostat in a GT-40. Seems to be a mixed bag of user recommendations. Did they come factory with 143s? Those with heaters complained of poor heat output and I believe many users switched to 160 thermostats IIRC.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 2:06pm
No idea. I installed a heater a couple of years ago and have good heat once the boat is warmed up, even at idle, even in colder water temps this time of year. So, I wouldn't change to a 160 for the heat. I guess my view is that a marine spec engine running 160 or 175 would have little difference in performance and wouldn't affect engine longevity, I'd be more concerned that the engine gets up to temp, holds a temp, and doesn't run more than a bit above that temp in all operating conditions.
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 2:26pm
Mine hovers right at 160+-, not quite sure if po changed it or not, but I'm assuming mine is a 143'er
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic