Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Pro Boss Starting Issue after Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Pro Boss Starting Issue after Running
    Posted: July-12-2016 at 12:59am
1995 Ski Nautique GT-40 Pro Boss PMC/Ford 351 EFI, 800+ hours

I have had this happen to me 2 times so far this summer. Engine will run fine, multiple starts pulling skiers, etc, no problems. Let sit for a period of time (30-60 minutes) and will turn over but won't start. LP fuel pump seems to be priming. Let it sit for a while, all the time being impatient and trying to restart periodically. Same thing, will turn over but no start. Seems like it wants to start but doesn't. Eventually it will fire and runs fine again, like nothing has happened and will restart multiple times, no issues.

It happened once in late May, ran 30 minutes down river to restaurant/bar, docked the boat, came back after lunch and wouldn't start. Repeated attempts... same thing, I hear LP fuel pump hum, engine turns over, but no start. Eventually after what seems like an eternity, it fires and will have no issues rest of the day.   Same thing this past weekend. Multiple starts pulling skiers, took a break, for a bit, and then no start. Dropped anchor to keep from floating down river, and eventually started, maybe after 30-45 minutes.

I replaced fuel pump and ignition relays and LP fuel pump last year. At that time I wasn't getting any priming. Not the same issue this year. I also replaced the in line fuel filter at the start of this season and should have fresh gas all through the system as I have been out multiple times and have filled the tank several times or more.

I have read through the Poor Man's GT40 Diagnosis forum and spreadsheet, but unless I missed it or an not connecting the dots, I don't see my specific issue listed, unless it is maybe the ignition module / TFI ???

Thoughts / suggestions ?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 10:35am
I've been fighting this with my '95 also. It is getting spark and it seemed like it had fuel pressure but last year we discovered it was actually getting air in the fuel rail. After bleeding the fuel rail through the shrader valve it would start right up. ( caution hot motor and fuel bleeding can go bad )
So I had some theories of how it's getting air in the rail But have not had a chance to test any yet as I just pulled mine out of storage. I am leaving for the lake this Friday armed and ready to solve this problem. I will report any progress " if any."
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 11:03am
You need to diagnose the problem when it is actually failing.

Check fuel pressure and spark when it is in the heat soak condition and get back to us.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 11:35am
Tim I had already changed the TFI wasn't that
Lewy that's what I was doing I had jumper wires, spark tester, pressure gauge the works. it showed spark and fuel pressure but then the pressure dropped off I think (can't remember) and ended up with air in the rail. I jumped out the pumps bleed the system till all the air bubbles were out and it started right up
When it happens to mine it seems like it gets one pop towards toward starting then nothing like it used the fuel in the rail to try to start then nothing.
I just put in a new low pressure pump thinking that was failing or intermittent when hot causing the air bubble. I'm also thinking it may be the fuel regulator hanging up or sticking open allowing fuel to go back to the tank instead of pressurizing the rail???
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 8:02pm
I think there is a short fuel hose inside the high pressure pump and I believe there are issues with that hose splitting causing similar problems.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 9:22pm
Thanks for the info.

I haven't had any tools or anything with me to diagnose the 2 times it has happened to me so far.

Paul, keep me posted on what you find out.   I will start doing some investigation on my end too, now that I have an idea what to look for.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 10:55pm
Mark no fuel cell on the '95s two separate pumps.
Tim I'll keep you posted. This problem is driving me crazy Seemed to be getting worse, like you it would only happen once in a while know it is happening regularly. I found that if you open the motor box while your taking a break or after the problem arises it will start again. That adds to the mystery of trouble shooting as you don't know if what you found is the problem or if it was just having the motor box open long enough for it to start again.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:11am
Is this the port to check for fuel rail pressure? (front, drivers side of engine)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:12am
Yep
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:15am
I assume I can pick up a gauge at an auto parts place or something?   PSI range? I think my manual said 35-40 psi?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:18am
39 +/- 3
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:23am
OK thanks, If weather cooperates, I should be able to get out this weekend too. I will try to pick up a gauge. With the problem being so infrequent for me at this point, I don't know that I will be able to discover anything.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 2:00am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I found that if you open the motor box while your taking a break or after the problem arises it will start again. That adds to the mystery of trouble shooting as you don't know if what you found is the problem or if it was just having the motor box open long enough for it to start again.

Paul,
Classic heat soak problem. Get the fuel pressure checked first and listen very carefully for the pumps running with ignition on for a few seconds (do they run constant for those few second or seem to start and stop). You can also jumper the pumps so they run all the time as a diagnostic tool while troubleshooting.

89 Ski

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 2:57am
Gun Driver, I should have known the fuel pump situation on the 95 since I have one in my garage, I missed the year.   I use my AC gauges to hook up the the Schroeder valve on the fuel rail. It has worked fine for me and I get two uses out of one tool. I would not do this for daily use but for me I check a fuel system once every couple years and the AC system works fine.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Classic heat soak problem..

It may be related to a heat soak issue, but my question is what changed? Something must have deteriorated, or wore out to cause the issue. I have never had this particular issue before this year. I can hear the fuel pump(s) turn on for several seconds, engine turns over, but no start.

Anyway, I picked up a fuel pressure gauge today. If / when the problem shows itself again, I will check the pressure in the fuel rail.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:45pm
One thing to check, well, it's tough to check, you'd have to just replace it really. Do you have one of these puppies underneath the removable section of floor behind the motorbox:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fuelfilter-inline.aspx ?

If it's starting to get plugged up filtered out particles, it could be giving your pumps more resistance.

Not a sure fire fix by any means, but an example of one type of thing that could degrade. That, your fuel lines, your anti siphon valve (elbow fitting on top of your tank).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2016 at 11:09am
OK I have a little info on this allusive issue.
After running for a while to get her nice and hot came back to the dock and let her sit for a beer or two, (this is an important piece of the puzzle, you'll see later) Tried to start her back up and two pops then nothing. (as usual) pulled out the meter confirmed power to pumps and they were running (brand new LP). Put on the pressure gauge, no pressure jumped the pumps to make them run continuously still no pressure.
Took one of my empty beer bottles (important part from above) ran the drain hose from pressure gauge to bottle turned on pumps.
Pumped out a bunch of air along with about 3oz of fuel then could hear the pumps catch a prime and bam pressure 40psi motor fires right up.
Before the trip I changed the inline fuel filter and the LP. I used my mighty vac to suck fuel through the line and filter to the intake of the LP pump to prime the line. I could hear the BB in the anti-siphon valve jiggling away so I assume that's good. Started motor at home ran on the bucket checked for leaks everything looks good lets go to the lake and run her.
After the two beer cool down when I ran the pumps at the dock the pumps sounded the same as when I changed the LP (running empty then getting a prime two distinct different sounds)
So some how pumps are loosing a prime. Unless the anti-siphon isn't working as I thought or the fuel is returning to the tank through the crossover hose (stainless hose off the HP) or the fuel regulator is getting stuck open or not closing on shutdown and start fuel is being rerouted to the tank instead of the rail.
This is now the big mystery and the answer to this dreaded hot no start problem. Why are the pumps loosing prime????

tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 9:19am
Interesting    I didn't get a chance to go out this weekend, so am no closer to helping solve the issue.

Bri892001 - I did replace the inline fuel filter at the start of the year. Thx for suggestion.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 10:17am
Paul I wonder if it is a vapour lock issue???? Remember they did add the FCC to eliminate this problem.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 11:34am
Lewy
That's basically what the parts guy here at one of the local marinas is saying it may be. He said the ethanol in the fuel is evaporating. I can't see how it can evaporate out of a closed system. Where does it evaporate too????? I'm going to run out this tank which contains ethanol and fill up with non- ethanol and see what happens.
Yesterday I removed the fuel line and attached a length of 3/8 hose to test the anti-siphon. All is good there could suck fuel but couldn't blow it back. I also attached a piece of clear hose inline off the fuel return fitting to monitor the fuel returning to the tank, you could see air bubbles traveling back to the tank also,then it would clear up.
After running it for a while I noticed that the new LP pump was cool to the touch but the HP was hot. I'm going to explore the HP more today to see if it's an intermittent problem and make sure it's running as it should. I have basically gone over the whole fuel system I did find out through my searching for parts fuel system parts that I may need the fuel regulator is the same as on a '92 Bronco or F-250 w/5.8 ( tri-flange) and can be purchased at local auto parts store or rock auto for about 40 bucks instead of $179
I'm determined to figure this out this week!!!!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:30pm
Paul, didn't we already figure this out? '95 (FCC-less) gt40's suffer from heat soak/vapor lock like many other early mpefi marine engines. Not sure where the fuel goes (drain back vs evaporate) but it's definitely heat related- and the closed engine compartment is certainly a contributor. The late 90's mercruiser 502 I had would do exactly as you describe. No fuel pressure if it sat for 15-20 min after running (especially if run hard). Hpp was dry when attempting to restart... I could refill the fuel filter (always noticeably low or nearly empty) and then problem solved. If I kept the box open after running, the symptoms were significantly reduced or eliminated.

The cool-fuel bath that the hpp sits inside (FCC) is the solution. It's the reason only the 95's suffer. Just add one, man!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:36pm
Tim we did figure out that it was air in the rail but I want to figure out why, and why is it happening now and why it hasn't happened in the 6 prior years I've owned it.
I haven't had this problem until about two years ago and it's happening more frequently now.
When this started happening about 2 years ago it would only happen once in a while through the season now it happens all the time. I'm starting to think maybe it's the HP going bad and the heat is exaggerating it I mean the pump is 20+ years old.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 4:09pm
Paul,if you find a high pressure pump you better grab it,they seem few and far between lately
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 7:19pm
any chance that fuel is draining back to the filter? or that the filter and pumps are getting sucked dry by a vacuum in the tank?   is there a failed check valve in the HP or low pressure pump that should be keeping fuel in the rail under pressure, but no longer works?       I am thinking that if the filter is under suction(running), it might seal any minor leak that was present, and when shut off, the filter would relax and could allow an air break at the seal.    I just wonder if the half full fuel filter is a result of some sort of back flow once the pump shuts down.   fuel under pressure doesn't seem like it should vapor lock.   I could be wrong, but It seems like this may be a logical path to track down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 8:36pm
Kris I just installed a new inline filter along with a low pressure pump before this adventure. I have verified that it's not going backwards, as I trouble shot more it's more like the HPP isn't working 100% and or its overheating and like you said there's a valve in the pump gone bad allowing the fuel to return to the tank instead of pressurizing the rail.
Im almost certain it's just the HPP going bad and the any pressure and fuel I'm getting through the rail is being supplied by the LPP until the HPP cools enough and starts doing its thing.

Tim I can't just throw in an FCC Pete would never forgive me for not keeping it original
Although I could but I'm trying to get this nailed down for the rest of the gang on here, along with the fact that it worked fine for 18 years till now so it should work fine for the next 18 when I solve it.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 4:38am
Not much to lose Paul. What is the replacement cost HPP on the pre FCC's ??

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:33am
I finally ran a tank of fuel out of this thing so I'm going to fill up with non ethanol today and test the ethanol evaporation theory.
Lewy spoke with Richard at Skidim yesterday and he said the new HPP's should be in on the 29th he has taken down the listing of the pump on his site but they were listed at $378 I believe verses the $515 + any other fuel line and fittings to retrofit the FCC.
Gary linked me to a similar problem on his Shamrock forum and there was discussion about a stuck open injector causing air in the rail and rough idle. I don't think this could be the problem as I think that would cause a hard start with a raw fuel smell on start up which I have neither. Plus once I bleed the rail it's solid fuel and runs and idles perfect except for a very slight off idle stumble which its had for a while. Thoughts on that??
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:13pm
Paul a quick test for a leaking injector or regulator is to see how long the fuel rail holds pressure after the pump last run. Jumper the STO and run pumps for 30 secs to reach the 39 +_3 psi. The spec from the GT40 manual is to hold pressure to a 3 psi drop over 3 mins.

89 Ski

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 4:09pm
Gary

Why can't you use an automotive version?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 10:16am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Gary Why can't you use an automotive version?

In a car the pump is in the tank.
It could be a safety thing why boats have a pump that suck's from the tank, that way if you get a leak it draws air instead of pumping fuel out. Same as most turbine aircraft that use engine driven fuel pumps that suck from the tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic