NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to clean Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to clean Engine
    Posted: July-06-2016 at 6:23pm
Curious question about how to clean off my engine. I had a belt go bad and in doing so, there is belt dust all over the motor now. I dont want it to get all gunked up from it, so what do you guys to do keep your engines clean and pretty?

I'm restoring an old 1990 Sport Nautique - working on buffing up the exterior to get the shine back, vinyl is next, and want to make sure that folks are wowed when I open the dog house to show off the machinery underneath!

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 7:32pm
Warm it up and shut it off. Turn off the battery switch. Spray it down with B52, ZEP or S-G, don't forget the bilge and go have a smoke. After your smoke hit with a garden hose, let it dry and follow up with a nice application of CRC. I have a blue handled soft brush that is like 2 feet long that works like a charm getting around and under things, works good on the truck wheels too.
Do I have to spell out the obvious like don't shove the hose down the carburetor or into the oil fill? You can cover stuff if you like but in my limited experience, a little spray doesn't seem to matter.

Ahhh I remember the days when I could actually use a smoke for a timer... alas now I use a watch. Its been a while but there are times when i could really use a good smoke.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 8:48am
Every once in a while I'll squirt a lil Dawn dish soap in the bilge. After a day on the lake open the drain (on the trailer) It works pretty good.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 1:18pm
Pull out your dirty motor strip it down clean and paint
Go from this

To this

There done WOW factor+
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2016 at 11:51am
Thanks guys! Gun-Drver, I wish I knew more about engines to be able to get mine looking like yours! wow!
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2016 at 12:42pm
Question about using a hose/power washer. I've seen a ton of videos online where guys are using hoses and power washer to hit their engines after applying a cleaner.

#1...is that okay? I've always been told it's not ok to power wash an engine...

#2, if it is okay, what components should I cover with a plastic bag so as to not get wet?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2016 at 12:51pm
Seems a bit much. I think some SG with a toilet brush then a hit with the hose is all a boat engine needs once every decade or so.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 9:42pm
Cleaning went well. Picked up some Super Clean Degreaser from auto zone based on a recommendation from the rep therebagged off the alternator, distributor, coil, and starter and sprayed away. Used the garden ho, se to rinse off and WOW the difference is night and day. Will throw on some pics once I figure out how...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 12:00am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Nice job Paul what did you use to paint it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 12:18am
Duplicolor high temp I believe. Most just needed a good cleaning.
Mustang17Orange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang17Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 3:06pm
Which CRC would you use after you use the B52 cleaner?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Mustang17Orange Mustang17Orange wrote:

3-36

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Mustang17Orange Mustang17Orange wrote:

3-36

Dumb question of the day, I've been coming up with different names for the acronyms above......what is CRC? My decoder isn't working.....thanks!
Mustang17Orange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mustang17Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 4:54pm
Corrosion Reactant Consultants
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:09am
Originally posted by relake relake wrote:

Dumb question of the day, I've been coming up with different names for the acronyms above......what is CRC? My decoder isn't working.....thanks!

CRC

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic