NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bending the windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bending the windshield
    Posted: June-20-2006 at 1:08pm
I removed my windshield a few days ago and brought it to be powdercoated. I had noticed the top piece of the port side sail panel has a bit of a bend to it, as the original owner must have been hit by something.

I called the machine shop doing my engine work and they said they could try and bend it in their press. Id say the last 10" are out about an inch. I put it in a large vise and let me tell you- that aluminum frame is strong! It didnt even budge... Does anyone have any tips to bring the piece back to shape?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 1:31pm
Depending on the alloy, color, and the coating adding some heat while in the vise may be the way to go, your going to have to anneal to alleviate the strain hardening in the bend area to get it real straight... .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:40pm
If I have the machine shop put it in their press, Ill do so before I have it powdercoated. Other than the paint that is flaking off, it is bare aluminum. I dont know what alloy it is, but I can call Water Bonnet to see what they can tell me.

It actually isnt supposed to be totally straight. Its supposed to be slightly bowed, but theres a bend opposite the curve that im trying to remove. I have the piece from the other side to compare to (mirror image).

Joe, would a regular machine shop be aware of the process you are describing? I wouldnt mind bringing this piece to an expert, but its hard to find one. If you were a little closer, I would be bringing it to you!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:46pm
it's extruded aluminum and the internal channels give's it alot of strength compared to box tubing, it's most likely 6061-T6 AL.

All you have to do to heat it is get a blow torch or a propane torch might be enough as well and any machine shop worth going to is going to have one.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:48pm
Annealing is basically just heating it up, we dont need to discuss why it works. Heat it up not hot enough to turn red but hot enough that it bends easier while you are working it I was just worried about any paint or annodizing that wouldnt survive the heat. Anybody in a machine shop should know how to apply a little heat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:48pm
Is the glass still in the frame? and is the frame put together correctly it could be that one piece is backwards, not sure in your case but on mine they where all seperate pieces that slide into channels and/or screwed together.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 5:15pm
Nope, glass is out of the frame and its all disassembled. The piece wasnt in backwards, you can tell that its just been hit. The top foot or so looks fine- it was hit about 10" from the bottom.

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. Ill take a look in the phonebook to see if I can find a local machine shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic