NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unexplained Episodes of Stalling

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:33am
The igniter will have a minimum coil resistance spec.   
So the best case is to actually measure the coil resistance, and add the resistor to match.

On boats where this is ignored, I've witnessed the Voltmeter actually bounce at idle in proportion to RPM. Followed in a few seasons by the symptoms above.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
1989sn2001_985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:08pm
GottaSki, I am with you, will read up on full documentation of wiring for my setup and confirm.

Alright, so ready for the weekend I guess. New ignition coil and resistor in place already, Have a replacement ignition module on stand-by.   I still have in the back of my mind this dang fuel filter housing. That is literally the only thing that changed over the winter. Its a more modern housing to allow for more modern fuel filter. I wonder if my mechanic did not know what he was doing and we now have a part that the rest of the fuel system does not know how to behave with.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I appreciate it and will keep you all posted.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:34pm
You're right to suspect whatever was last touched. I even like to test each replacement item or group items with a run test between procedures just to prevent troubleshooting difficulties. I like to do all the new stuff in Spring each year rather than Fall so that I can prove out each new item.

For example I won't go and replace all plugs, wires, Cap and rotor, fuel filters, or impeller and t-stat at once. I might group a few together. A bad wire or defective plug or defective new pump is easier to troubleshoot if you start briefly between replacements. Just my preference. Adds a little time but can save much more.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:36pm
bypassing the fuel filter is rather simple........
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 6:35pm
Could also run it from a small can - to rule out the entire fuel supply chain.before pump.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 6:42pm
Good points, will consider for sure.

This afternoon I called Pertronix Support and briefly explained the situation and to confirm my model number and the proper wiring for it. I got what I asked for (correct wiring diagram), but he also mentioned the symptoms sounded like a drop in voltage to the coil. Suggested when the issue occurs to connect coil directly to battery (temporary only) and see if issue persists. Interesting thought...   if its clean then I have to play the wire tracing game to find the problem spot. Will be troubleshooting my head off this weekend and will report back. Thanks again everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 7:36pm
Alright....on the water....here is what has been happening...

Arrived Saturday morning, got boat in water. Started up fine. Idled to gas dock, put 10 gallons in, started up again fine, idled away from gas dock STALLED!   Started right back up, cruising at 20mph, split second loss of power, but did not stall out, made it to dock.

Let sit, and then started troubleshooting. Was able to recreate the stall several times...sometimes I would have to wait a minute or 2 for it to restart, but I could usually get it to turn over. Confirmed that ignition system was wired properly and have a coil that meets requirements of the pertronix.

For troubleshooting, I wired the positive terminal of the coil directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Starts up and runs. Have put 2.5 hours on it since, not stalling. Far from claiming victory (of at least isolating to a wiring issue between the dash and coil) becuase sometimes it would run without issue for days before cropping back up again. Also, I am disconnecting the coil when engine not started.

So, all that said. Suggestions on what else may be beneficial to test? I just planning on continuing to run it like this for rest of weekend to see if it will stall with dash bypassed entirely for ignition power. Thanks again everyone and hope everyone's holiday is going well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 11:35pm
Sounds like you nailed it. could be ignition switch or breaker. It would be easy to pull a new wire to dash if that is what you need.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 7:06am
Originally posted by 1989sn2001_985 1989sn2001_985 wrote:

So, all that said. Suggestions on what else may be beneficial to test? I just planning on continuing to run it like this for rest of weekend to see if it will stall with dash bypassed entirely for ignition power. Thanks again everyone and hope everyone's holiday is going well.

Did you get any voltage readings? Although the problem may be intermittent, get the VOM out and see if you can detect a problem. Wiggle the ignition switch and the wiring connections.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 9:27am
Hey pbrainard, I do have a meter and have been doing my best to measure the voltage of the wire which is supposed to feed the ignition coil. Unfortunately, I have not noticed anything odd when wiggling, etc wires under the dash. It stays at 12.8 engine off and 13+ on. It's almost like a short or something. A split second of disruption...will keep trying.... And will keep it bypassed to see if it really does cease to exist with the dash bypassed. Thanks for the feedback!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 9:37am
Bryon,
Yes, intermittent electrical problems can be a real PITA. A real high end VOM would come in handy to record any voltage drops.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 9:52am
Agreed. I have 2 cheap ones and have been concerned with incorrect readings. I guess 2 cheap ones do not equate to one accurate one. Will get a nice one asap to help with this one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 10:58am
Bryon,
There are times when I prefer an analog VOM over a digital. Digitals unless they are the high end recording type, are slow to react so you won't see a momentary change in the reading. With an analog even the cheap ones, if you are watching, you will see a momentary blip in the needle movement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 11:57pm
Well, the once successful bypassing of the dash (connecting coil directly to battery) did not live long. Had a nasty episode of it not wanting to work on Tuesday morning...theory busted.   

I did confirm that I have a Prestolite EI (purple wire) and not a pertronix as I assumed. I got the replacement module previsouly posted...

So, same situation....here is what I tried while the issue was occuring:

- Connected coil directly to battery (no change)
- Opened gas tank (just incase of back pressure)
- Swapped out ignition module...would not even start (maybe i did not install right???)
- disconnected auto choke (just a shot in the dark)

Issue persisted regardless of hot or cold engine. However, if it stayed running longer than 2 minutes, then I was good for a solid outting...if it misbehaves, it does it within a few seconds of starting up. Again, will stall regardless of RPMs, in gear, out of gear,

Running out of ideas to check/confirm, borderline ready to throw parts at it (kidding), but really at a loss....

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:32pm
An in-line spark tester tool like this would be helpful to you. You can leave it connected for a while, till you sort things out. Then, at least you'll know if you're getting spark when it's not starting:
https://store.snapon.com/Spark-Plug-Tools-In-Line-Spark-Tester-Blue-Point--P641969.aspx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:20am
Nice. Will pick one up. Thanks for the input.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 11:35pm
Alright, so here's the update from this past weekend. The issue occurred more frequently than before, almost with every start. Sometimes it would occur only two or three times, and then would stay running. I did notice that now when the issue occurs I have to wait at least one minute sometimes two before the boat will turn over. This is a new development as I used to be able turn the boat back over again immediately when it occurred.

Most interesting was the final run of the day, I tried over the course of an hour to get it to stay running, it would consistently start but then stalled within a minute. Needing to get the boat back to the marina I decided I would go in 1 minute increments. So I turned it over idled away from the dock, it died. Waited two minutes and it started back up then I floored it. Surprisingly I made it all the way to the marina without it dying, but the second I brought it back down to idle it stalled on me. Waited two minutes then it started back up and I was able to make it to the dock.

Thoughts!? This just gets more and more odd. I do have a new coil, ignore module, and spark tester ready for next weekend...but really starting to think about other systems...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 12:58am
Did you get the igniter/module to work?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 1:36am
Originally posted by 1989sn2001_985 1989sn2001_985 wrote:

Waited two minutes and it started back up then I floored it. Surprisingly I made it all the way to the marina without it dying, but the second I brought it back down to idle it stalled on me...

This does raise one question, are you sure your choke is consistently opening? It's an easy check.

When you give it wide open throttle, it mechanically forces open the choke, whether the choke has opened electrically or not. When you say it ran great at WOT, it made me think of this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 11:49am
Hey tryathlete, When I first installed the replacement ignition module, it did not work...I later learned that I did not properly space the sensor though. I am trying to find the original instructions for the Prestolite EI to confirm that and wiring setup, etc.   No luck...anyone out there happen to have a copy?

Bri892001, That is what my mind went to as well...I'm no expert on carbs and auto chokes, etc. but I bet a little internet research will at least tell me what I should be watching for.

The saga continues... Thanks everyone for the feedback and help.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 12:25pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 12:28pm
I had a situation like your stalling once and it turned out to be a sticking needle valve in the carb. I do like the thoughts about the choke. You can see that with your own eyes if you take off the flame arrestor. Now you have the Prestolite instructions and maybe even a spark tester to boot. Your going to win this soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 5:59pm
Quick Update...I had the mechanic at the marina take a look at the boat today. He is stating that when the issue occurs (stalls) and when they try to restart it, it does not have spark. So, back to the ignition module we go. I have the prestolite EI (purple wire), and got a module second hand...mechanic is stating it will not spark with the replacement module. They are trying to confirm gap now for the sensor...

That said and prematurely assuming that I do not have a prestolite module replacement I can get since they are not made...recommendations?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 6:06pm
So your current Prestolite module is failing (purple wire)
Replacement module is garbage (brand unkown)

Options:
Original points (availability?)

New module:
Mallory
Pertronix

New/used electronic distributor
Prestolite NOS (availability?)
Mallory
DUI
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 6:09pm
Now is your chance to upgrade to DUI. Get 'ER Done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 6:12pm
Hollywood, yes you are correct in my current situation.   I do not have the Original Points, long gone with a previous owner.

So if I understand you, I can put a Mallory or pertronix module in direct replacement of the prestolite module without any other changes needed (same coil, same dist., same rotary, etc.) Assuming the correct part number, etc.

OR, I buy a complete system entirely.

Just confirming I understand...certainly like the "opportunity' as tryathlete put it :)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 6:21pm
Not sure on the coil, reference the instructions. You may need to reincorporate the ballast resistor.

There are multiple versions of the Pertonix FlameThrower (I, II, more?). Lots of complaintes with the Pertronix, not sure they are all legit claims though. I would probably seek the Mallory conversion then an entirely new electronic distributor.

An original [points] coil will still want power through a ballast resistor but the EI module will want 12V. This is how my 351W (Prestolite conversion) came to us wired as well as the 454 (Mallory conversion). The 351W has some kind of MSD blaster coil, probably low resistance(<1ohm), and the 454 has the original coil, probably low resistance (<1ohm). I can measure the 454 coil tonight but the ignitions systems were originally wired identically.

Basically you always want 1.5 ohm AFTER the coil (ballast + primary coil winding) AND 12V to the ignitor on most conversions. I think the damage typically done when you ditch the ballast AND use a low resistance coil (<1ohm). This will burn up both the coil and the ignitor eventually.

SNobsessed and I both have the Prestolite ignitor conversion. He does not use a ballast resistor. I can't remember what coil resistance he as. I DO use a ballast resisitor. If I have a low resistance coil and he has a high resistance coil we are both wired up OK. My boat has been this way for 15 years and his about 10 so I think we have different coils.

ANYWAY, I got a DUI for my 351W so this converted distributor is going on the shelf eventually...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 7:48pm
Hollywood, I hear you loud and clear and it makes sense.    By pure coincidence, I had my mechanic and Vince from SKIDIM call at the same time so we all got on a call together a few minutes ago.   Through some troubleshooting we further confirmed that the ignition module seems to be at fault and my replacement module purchased second hand is dead.

As luck would have it, Vince had an original, prestolite conversion kit in box. It was for a 4 cylinder, but he confirmed the module was identical as those used in the 8 cylinder. So he is shipping that bad boy to us for replacement. We also got a new coil (link below) for good measure. Based on your reply Hollywood, I need to determine if I need to put the ballast resistor inline or bypass...will see what I can determine.

Greatly appreciate all the input guys, a wealth of information and help. Thank-you and I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

http://www.skidim.com/COIL-ELECTRONIC-IGNITION/productinfo/R117004B/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 10:20pm
Alright, so finally at the lake.

This morning I installed a new coil (linked in previous post), and original prestolite ignition module (complements of Vince at skidim), and a new rotary (just for good measure). It fired up and I had two good test runs today. Not claiming victory as the issue was so random, but have fingers crossed.

I did want to ask about the coil. I bypassed the ballast resistor as indicated in the prestolite instructions. But that thing gets hot! Is that normal? The instructions seem to indicate that a lower resistance coils with a bypassed resistor is what is needed. Thoughts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 11:28pm
I recommend following HW's advice & using ballast resistor for coil but feeding purple distributor wire full 12V. I will be changing mine soon too.    I was given bad advice & somehow luckily avoided calamity.

Glad you got it running.

Vince at SkiDim is a great guy as you now know.

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic