NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 Ski Nautique alternator wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
93 Ski Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 Ski Nautique alternator wiring
    Posted: April-19-2016 at 1:10am
Well, I pulled my original 93 Ski Nautique alternator to have it rebuilt as it slowly will discharge the battery. I never got around to getting it fixed and when I went to put it back in my phone no longer had the picture of the wires. I thought I had it right but it is not charging and I'm suspicious that I did not rewire it properly.

It has 3 wires that go to it, one is a red (or orange) and that is larger diameter. No doubt about that one. Then there are 2 others, one is black and the other yellow. I hooked the black up to what appears to be a ground connection, and the yellow to what appeared to be the only other terminal but now I question if I have it right.

Anybody have a picture or schematic of the alternator wiring?

Thanks in advance, John

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 6:45am
Originally posted by 93 Ski Nautique 93 Ski Nautique wrote:

Anybody have a picture or schematic of the alternator wiring?

Thanks in advance, John

John,
You haven't been visiting enough!! Here's Tim's schematic again:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 9:53am
This pic might help for alternator specific wiring:

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/images/products/detail/wirealt.JPG
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 11:21am
Thanks, you guys are the best and really know the Correct Crafts. Looks like I had it wired correctly, I guess it is not charging. If it doesn't have enough voltage, my Perfect Pass won't let it pull the throttle cable.   I'll test it out tonight.

Thanks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 12:28pm
How did you determine that it was the alternator that was dis-charging the battery?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 12:31pm
Also, keep in mind, there is more at play than just the alternator if you are seeing lower than expected voltage at your dash voltemeter, or Perfect Pass voltometer readout.

Inadequate wiring to the dash is another strong possibility.

Pick up a multimeter, nothing fancy required, and set it to 12V DC and test your voltage right at the battery. Do it both with the engine running and and not running. See what you get.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 1:35pm
John,
Adding to the list, how old is the battery, what type of charger do you have when the battery isn't running the boat if you have one and use it and hopefully the battery isn't a deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 3:33pm
It's been a couple of years since I troubleshot it. I put an ohm meter across the battery terminal (without the battery) and found a weak short. I then pulled the 12 volt supply off the alternator and the short went away. I can't remember the resistance, but it was enough to drain the battery in a week or 2 if I didn't use the boat. Since then, I've been just pulling the ground off the battery if I'm going to let the boat sit.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 3:44pm
Hmmmm...
That 12 Volt Power supply wire should be switched off when the key is switched off. I'm wondering if something else is going on there. Maybe that wire is connected to something it shouldn't be somehow.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 3:44pm
All good points, most of which I am familiar with. This is a boat that never had any problems running the Perfect Pass before.. Now that I'm sure I had the alternator wired in properly, I will run it tonight and see what kind of voltage it is putting out exactly. I am also pretty familiar with the poor grounds on my generation of boats.

With respect to your other questions - the battery is several years old, still seems strong, cranked the boat well but I will troubleshoot it further.

I don't use any kind of charger on it except charging it for a few hours every month in the winter in the house. Normally I try not to let the boat sit for too long during the season..

Nope, it's not a deep cycle, it's a regular starting battery. .
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 3:47pm
The 12 volt exciter lead has always been hot all the time on this boat. I wish it wasn't!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:20pm

The 12 volt exciter lead has always been hot all the time on this boat. I wish it wasn't!

Change it!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:31pm
Change it! -

I like the concept, I'll put that on the to-do list.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:36pm
Sounds like someone has done some creative wiring on your boat. If "hot all the time" means with the key off and the ignition breaker off then it is wired directly to the battery. Most likely coming from the 50amp breaker.   I would move it to the top of your list.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:39pm
Must be a weird factory deal, the only person that has ever touched this boat has been me. I bought it brand new in 1994 :), and I've had it ever since. But that doesn't mean it's right, I like the idea of switching it. I'm going to check some other boats from that vintage also.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:48pm
So the engine wiring is still original including the ProTec?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 4:57pm
So the engine wiring is still original including the ProTec?

Yes and no..

My boat is actually one of the "base" boats. It does not have the ProTec, that was the higher horsepower engine right?

The boat has a 1.1 straight transmission, the engine is at an angle like the older ones, and it turns a 13x13 prop.

All wiring is original other than plug wires.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 5:11pm
Then the wiring should match the schematic Pete posted. I would follow the exciter wire and see where it goes.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 5:45pm
Any pics of your boat? It sounds like you have a Standard. Not relevant to the matter at hand, but just curious since I have one and haven't really seen any others on this site.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Then the wiring should match the schematic Pete posted. I would follow the exciter wire and see where it goes.

John,
As Sean mentioned, do see where that exciter wire goes and fill us in. I understand you're the only one that's touched the boat since new but, you're forgetting it's been touched at the factory by many! You never know what they did!! Has it always drained the battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2016 at 12:33am
You have a "scrappy"! Very cool. Those are a bit more rare, but a guy in my ski club up here in WA has one. Blue and grey just like mine, but as you say very basic interior and the RR engine with the 1:1 transmission.

Pictures. We want them.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2016 at 1:49am
Well guess what guys, I checked the alternator today and the exciter lead was cold with the switch off. So now I don't know where my weak short is, I've been pulling the negative cable for years to prevent slow battery drain, for some reason I thought it was the exciter lead.

And the alternator is charging just fine, but the Perfect Pass is not working, so I will trouble shoot that tomorrow.

The boat is a base boat that I bought from Horizon Marine in Maryland. i'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, it has no padding on the dogbox nor around the gunnels. I think I can find ads for the boat in the 1993 Water Ski guide, they were $17,500 without a trailer brand new.

I've loved it since I bought it, A great boat that I still pull 35 off skiers with.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2016 at 6:55am

Well guess what guys, I checked the alternator today and the exciter lead was cold with the switch off. So now I don't know where my weak short is,

John,
It's time for a parasitic load test to see what's pulling the battery down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2016 at 9:40am

And the alternator is charging just fine, but the Perfect Pass is not working, so I will trouble shoot that tomorrow.

It could be that weak/aging wiring is causing low voltage at your dash. Use the PP's own voltage gauge, to see what voltage it is getting. They really Edit: don't want to work right if they are not seeing the full voltage.

Here is the thread where I upgraded the dash wiring on mine:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21901
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 1:28am
Update, well I tried to run some diagnostics per Perfect Pass. Seems like it just wasn't getting enough voltage to run the servo motor. I moved the power source from the tach over to the ignition switch. That made all the difference in the world, no longer beeps at idle, and actuates the servo motor no matter what the RPMs or if the engine is running or not.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 9:42am
Moving the power source to the key reduces the amount of connections between the PP and the power sources. So, probably less chance for voltage drop.
Good you solved it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 12:01pm
I would consider also running a single wire from the output of the ignition breaker to the input of the key switch.   That will bypass the daisy chain voltage drops in the dash between the breaker and the key. I added this wire on my '92 but for different reasons, it helps with Protec issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic