Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temp Switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp Switch
    Posted: March-16-2015 at 1:53am
I recently bought a '92 Sport Nautique and when I got it a sensor on the port side of the 351 was broken. It has two wires going to it, so I think it is the temperature switch based on the wiring diagram in the references section for the '94. Before I ordered one and had it shipped, I was hoping someone could confirm that I am looking for the right thing.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 2:06am
I see you still have the Pro-Tec - Vintage. If the wires are off the temp switch, your Temp gauge will still work. If it's the temp sender, temp gauge won't work. Being up top, it's one of the two.

If it is the sender, match it to the gauge, temp scale and thread diameter. Same for the switch.

(I have a 454, so sender/switch positions are different in mine) - BTW, Welcome!   

Steve
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 8:12am
Brent,
Welcome to CCfan. We'd love to see some pictures and a diary entry would be great. Tell us more.

What is the engine doing or not doing? You may already know but the Pro Tech's are a known problem. If so, at least there are easy solutions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:19am
Thanks for the welcome and help. So far I have only test driven the boat and it stumbled a bit out of the hole, but ran fine up to the top end. What should the switch do? I chalked the stumble up to a new carb that still needs some tuning. PO doesn't seem to have worked on the boat much. The gauge seemed to work, but all the gauges bounced.

I have submitted a diary, but could be a few days before it is online. I am new to owning a boat, much less a CC. Tell me more about the Pro-Tec.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:27am
Switch is integrated with the dash alarm (there also is an oil one) and the Pro-Tec Ignition System for Limp Mode (engine protection)..... Limp Mode limits revs to save a crippled engine.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 4:05pm
The tach is also not working, but it hit 40 mph. Should it be able to do that or is that a sign the limp mode is bypassed?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What is the engine doing or not doing? You may already know but the Pro Tech's are a known problem. If so, at least there are easy solutions.

Sure - everybody always blames the Pro-tec......
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

The tach is also not working, but it hit 40 mph. Should it be able to do that or is that a sign the limp mode is bypassed?

Now you are just kidding us....... I think your metaphors are mixed.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 6:07pm
The speedometers worked but the tach didn't. I heard the secondaries on the carb kick in so I am pretty sure it wasn't in limp mode. That sounds like I could have other issues if this is the temp switch.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 1:41am
I searched for ProTec ignition issues. I see what you mean. Hopefully that isn't the issue yet, but I can already see a conversion kit in my future.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic