Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmisson options/questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmisson options/questions
    Posted: February-20-2015 at 2:31pm
Has anyone here tried to mate a PCM 1.23:1 tranny to a FE engine? The reason I am asking is because RH parts are hard to find, I want to build a performance engine and from what I understand,,, the PCM 1.23:1 has a planetary allowing one to run a LH engine with a RH output. Also, is there any other tranny with a planetary similar to the velvet drive?

Thanks

Chris
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 2:47pm
Not sure anyone has added a 1.23 to a boat that old (or small). The reduction resides on the aft end and makes the transmission 6-8" longer than a velvet drive, it may not physically fit in an old hull without moving the engine forward (which I would strongly discourage).

There's also the difference in sound to consider- the 1.23's whine a bit due to the planetary- they don't sound bad but it's a dead giveaway that you don't have a velvet drive. I've heard there are 1:1 zf hurths that exist that can reverse the engine rotation, but the ones I've encountered in MC's sound a little funny at idle. No idea if they use the same bellhousings and mounts as a Borg, though they might...

I would strongly encourage an original RH build, it can be done with better parts. What are you having trouble finding besides the cam? Give some thought as to how fast you want to go (and spend, ha), as there are a few 300-330hp FE's in those hulls that are fast enough to scare you (approaching mid 50's) and it wouldn't be too over the top to build something similar.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 2:52pm
Chris,
The planetary gear set is for reverse and does not change rotation. It's the reduction gearing that changes rotation. The bolt hole pattern and the pilot diameter is the same on ether trans but the input shaft splines are different so the damper is different.

What RH parts and what engine are you having problems finding parts for?

Also, with a reduction trans, the prop size will change. Unless you plan on a radical under water drive line change, I don't feel the 12" prop will do it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 3:01pm
12" diam prop would be fine... Pitch will be wildly different with a reduction. Might have to go to 1-1/8" shaft to find props that would be appropriate. That might also be recommended based on how big the FE in question is and the hp you plan to put out... Small block 1.23 boats used 1" shafts but big block 1.23's used 1-1/8" for good reason- ask joe!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 3:09pm
Thanks gentleman,

I was just asking the question so I can strike it off my list. The PCM is longer and realistically wont fit, had to ask though. I have been after another RH crank and cam set for the past year. Found a guy in CA that had a bunch laying around but he wasn't motivated to ship. They were scrap to him. Another guy I met locally won't come off the set he has even though he won't ever use them. I've pieced together a bone stock period correct 352, what originally came my boat, but want to do something else. I have assembled all the parts for another build minus the RH bits. Still looking...

Thanks!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 3:44pm
What makes a right hand FE crank different than a left hand one?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 3:57pm
I thought you found a 427?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 4:35pm
Ha, I did find a 427. When I showed up at the guys shop with money he was reluctant to sell after all our back and forth discussion. Decided that he didn't want to sell it at the last minute. Oh well. I have been after him for the crank, cam and con rods ever since but he's not budging. Maybe I'll bug him again come spring. No rush... I've got tons of parts ready for the machine shop as well as in various stages of restoration.

Gary - the oil wicking marks (not sure if that is the correct term) on the crank are machined based on rotation. I have a RH crank and a LH crank. I read an old post where you stated using a "speedy sleeve" to solve this problem?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
The planetary gear set is for reverse and does not change rotation. It's the reduction gearing that changes rotation. The bolt hole pattern and the pilot diameter is the same on ether trans but the input shaft splines are different so the damper is different.

What RH parts and what engine are you having problems finding parts for?

Also, with a reduction trans, the prop size will change. Unless you plan on a radical under water drive line change, I don't feel the 12" prop will do it!

Thanks Pete. I knew I would get some part of that terminology wrong. I appreciate your clarification.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic