Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yeti vs Pelican

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yeti vs Pelican
    Posted: February-11-2015 at 2:52pm
Looking at getting a cooler before the Summer hits and wanted to know anyone's thoughts on a Yeti or Pelican. Likes and dislikes. Also if there is another brand you would consider.

Pelican: http://www.pelicancases.com/progear-coolers-s/138.htm

Yeti: http://yeticoolers.com/coolers/shop-by-activity/fishing-marine-coolers/

Would probably get a 45QT in Teal (pelican) to match the boat :)

Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 2:59pm
I have 3 Yeti's and nothing but good things to say about them. I won one several years ago at a hunting raffle and ended up with two more to cover different size color needs. 45 is a great size.
I have a Roadie, a 65, and a 120. All serve a purpose and all though all three are beat up looking they work great and have been bulletproof up to this point.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 3:22pm
I have a yeti from 50 years ago. Cost me a mortgage payment. It weighs 200lbs. twice the size it needs to be. Keeps ice wildly longer, if you go in it once a day. Works great at the hunting camp for storing ice/killed game. In reality. As a beer cooler that you go into every :20, it won't stay colder any longer than a Coleman that doesnt exceed my USCG weight capacity. Pelican is every bit of good, better colors, better latches, few coins less. But unfortunately it's way cooler to have a yeti hat and yeti sticker on your truck. Also consider Engel. I have a 300 qt Engel that is worthy of praise.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 3:22pm
I probably need to invest in a good cooler.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 3:41pm
They don't magically make ice or anything but durability sold me. I'm hard on equipment.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 3:55pm
Can't swing a dead cat in rural georgia without hitting a pickup with a yeti sticker in the back window

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 4:00pm
The Yeti and other outdoor brand stickers always make me laugh. It's like adverstising... To a thief.... Nobody else cares you have a fancy cooler but the guy with sticky fingers.

(Disclaimer: My tahoe has a yeti sticker on it but it is in a field or a barn 93.7% of it's life.)

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 4:00pm
They seem like a heavy pain in the rear to me, but as dad of the house I get to carry everything.

Now that I have my 85 SN 2001 I have been thinking of trying one of these Kelty folding coolers to have a few cup holder options on the boat.

Kelty cooler

I have been kind of spoiled. My IO has a built in cooler and lots of cup holders.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Can't swing a dead cat in rural georgia without hitting a pickup with a yeti sticker in the back window

or a Costa Del Mar sticker or a Salt Life sticker.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:17pm
After much looking into things, I find that both are going to be equally effective. I like the drain system on the Pelican, as well as the lifetime warranty (90 days for the seal) . Not really sure I'm a 100% sold on the latches of either, I lean towards the Pelican, just because the GF can use them. I've heard that Yeti's can be a pain some times, but also worry about the Pelican ones breaking. I like the design of the Yeti a bit better. Going to hopefully look at them this weekend and make a decision. 45Qt or 65QT is the question, the 65QT I think is going to be a bit to lug around though.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

or a Costa Del Mar sticker or a Salt Life sticker.

Or Water Slut on a red Ram in Indiana. I'll give Larry a minute on this one.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:30pm
Lol
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:47pm
My Dad has a 45 we got him for christmas and the size is good for an afternoon or 1-2 road trip. Plus its manageable for him by himself.

My 65 is heavy loaded. My wife can't carry it loaded down.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

My wife can't carry it loaded down.

That is a good thing haha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:36pm
Bwahahaahaha.

I'm glad I married a tall woman so our kids can be huge but I'm also very glad I didn't marry a linebacker. (I'm out chick-d for sure).

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2015 at 5:14pm
Larry, you let me down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic