NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living in the country

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Side note- being a house, even though it's a dedicated circuit using a single chassis receptacle (non duplex), I'd bet inspector would require it be GFIC protected and I agree.... Add another $50 per unit.

Yes, this would be interesting depending on the inspector. If he objects, I'd have to ask about the washer and drier plugged in a duplex and allowed by the NEC!! I've got the freezer in my garage plugged into a simplex and I'll see what happens!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 9:05pm
Pete code or no code when i left my freezer either at home or at my vaca home for a few days or weeks i would leave it plugged into a 20 amp standard breaker receptacle ..
Todd what are you licensed in? as a master electrician? plumber?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 9:18pm
Well I don't know sh1t so I'm just the big E.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 9:22pm
so you are a licensed electrician in florida? did you migrate there from another area as an electrician?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 9:32pm
I'm a native.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 9:49pm
what yr did you get your license
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 10:06pm
Are you with the IRS?

I'm not afraid to admit, I failed the masters Block last May. But with a 22% passing rate, bust my balls. Who here's tried it? My next $2000 eligibility is in April. I am an EC commercial and industrial contractor (12+ years) who's hired a qualifier EC. That's why when somebody says 1100$ is nuts for 4 units it burns me bc I see and know what's involved being 110% legal, responsible, and totally sue-able.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 10:15pm
my question was more directed to the rapidly changing requirements for licenses in the trades since i entered the heating and rare at the time a/c business in the early 80s. and was thinking about how different regions of the country handle trades licenses. good luck with the testing and your license in your future i hope
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 10:40pm
Florida is the hardest to get licensed in as far as Master eligibility and to be a legal company, however the dumb state no longer requires nor recognizes a journeyman's license. They do not reciprocate.   Requirements originate here and radiate outward. Since I didn't work for a min of 6 electrical contractors, I was not eligible for 10 years to take the masters exam. FL wanted me to bounce around company to company, I chose to go in business. My qualifier holds for 4 companies. His first EC was in '72. Even one of the largest electrical companies, a nationwide company based in DC struggled with a FL lic so they hired my qualifier. We did a job in MO and MO required me to take their test. when they found we had a FL EC, they immediately issued a MO EC. All programs for masters EC schooling like Tom Henry, Mike Holt,etc are from here.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 10:49pm
Like Pete, I only hold an engineering degree - but I will not participate in this trade discussion for fear of looking stupid.

I just wanted to mention that Mike Holt is one hell of a barefooter, in case you were unaware.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 4:29pm

Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

It should cost $1100 just to wire 4 20a/120v insta hot.

Which is nuts it's something I could do in an afternoon, myself.

NEC requires a disconnecting means for insta hots. So for each unit 120V:
20a single pole push in breaker-$8
Average of 100' of 12-2 Romex (which I'd never do) at I'm guessing $0.50 per ft for EACH unit
3' min of 12-3 SOW cord, I'm guessing $1.00 ft
4x4x2/1/8 box and RS cover-$6
1 nema 5-20p spec grade plug-$10 and up
1 nema 5-20r receptacle $8
3-1/2" nm clamp/squeeze connectors per unit-$3 each

For each unit. Thats $95 in material before screws, ground screws, stupid non metallic staples.
$380.
4 units-$1000 to install.

Now for $620 you have to run the wire.
But before all that can take place:
You have to hold a master EC license for the company with 14 hours of annual continuing education. The test and schooling is pretty brutal and $, if you fail start and pay again. Post bonds and liability insurance through a company. Workers comp. Annual state fees. Annual local municipality fees. Pull the permit for the job (just 4 units if the house was already built) $75 average and 2 hours. Meet and wait for the rough inspection and final inspection. If you fail $150 reinspection fee, start over again. Now, with what might remain from that $620 you have too:

Wait for finishers, wait for the cabinets to be set, wait for plumber to finish. THEN you have to crawl into that cabinet and wire the unit.

Sure you could hire last weeks orange picker for $10 to jerk the jerk-mex. You'll have a real good reputation 20 years later.
Or you hire a worker who has a chance in this world (IBEW $27-35 hour here) pay their medical, retirement, supply them with a stocked truck and auto insurance and proper tools to do a proper job. And a chance to have a family and and further education.

End of my soap box, I apologize. Back to Living in the county.

Well i'm not doing this for someone or hiring somone, i'm doing this myself for my house, which i'll do all the wiring from the Breaker box.

As for what is exactly needed, looks about right. I can follow my Architects wiring plan and yes i'll involve the proper inspectors.

Also I wont be installing any insta hot's so calm down.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 5:49pm
$1000 isnt in any way too much for 4 units and dont forget to add to the above pricing. the fact that you will back it all up for at least a yr you will probably fix the wire cut by the carpenter for free. you will take an hr per day walking around with the homeowner giving advice they ask for . you wont however get paid for cleaning up your crap you electricians leave around (joking on that one ) so you dont even bother to factor that into your bills   thank god.... people never understand the work that is done under non billable hrs on construction projects
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 6:25pm
What i love is it's still 1-2 days worth of work and every electrician by trade in here believe it's worth $600+, sorry but you're not worth $300 a day, at least not to me, yes for certain aspects that involves skilled items sure, but i'm not paying your to wire in all my outlets and light fixtures at $300 a day. That's my gripe.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 7:40pm

i'm doing this myself for my house, which i'll do all the wiring from the Breaker box. As for what is exactly needed, looks about right. I can follow my Architects wiring plan and yes i'll involve the proper inspectors.

You still need a licensed electrician to pull the permit and get involved with the inspector. IF you are lucky, he MAY let you do your own work.

Architects wiring plan? What do you mean? The plan that just shows locations of devices and what if anything controls them?

Sorry Peter but you had better hire an electrician before you get in trouble.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 9:41pm
$300.00 per day is not fair?   turningpoint...you realize that the 3 top trades    HVAC Plumbing Electrical have a hard time billing 40 hrs for a 5 day week .= 75k a yr    what white collar job that has the equivalent of a bachelors degree of training and the skills equal to many master degree people making 150 K plus tradesmen also trying to pay their own health insurance , workers comp , equipment payments etc... dont be an idiot.. i make 150 per hr on a holiday , or weekend or at midnight keeping know it all homeowners warm after they messed around with their equipment and it is not in any way enough $ to deal with ignorance   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

i'm doing this myself for my house, which i'll do all the wiring from the Breaker box.

I forgot that you will need a plumber too for the tankless or are you going to try and hack that as well?? BTW, you never answered if you need to run EMT in your area?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 10:12pm
there is no need for plumbers anymore   there is shark bite now
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 10:32pm
If I could get someone around here to do good work for 300 a day I would absolutely let them do it. There are a few guys but they sure ain't gonna work for me, well not anytime soon anyway. I value my time at about 50 an hour and I still end up doing most plumbing, hvac, and electrical work myself. Contrary to Pete's assertion we don't need a licensed electrician here - for your own property you can pull a permit and deal with inspectors yourself. Yes- they do think it is fun to quiz you on code. 300 dollars a day might get you a good painter around here, if you are willing to wait.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Contrary to Pete's assertion we don't need a licensed electrician here

Joe,
Peter lists his location as Cincinnati.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

there is no need for plumbers anymore   there is shark bite now

If allowed by local code. As mentioned to Joe, look at Peter's location.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 10:18am
allowed by code or not shark bites scare me
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:14pm

i'm doing this myself for my house, which i'll do all the wiring from the Breaker box. As for what is exactly needed, looks about right. I can follow my Architects wiring plan and yes i'll involve the proper inspectors.

You still need a licensed electrician to pull the permit and get involved with the inspector. IF you are lucky, he MAY let you do your own work.

Architects wiring plan? What do you mean? The plan that just shows locations of devices and what if anything controls them?

No my local building code permits me to wire my own home, and yes wiring diagram i should say. I've rewired my entire house, wired my addition too and it was all done correctly to code. Hamilton county, OH
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:18pm

i'm doing this myself for my house, which i'll do all the wiring from the Breaker box.

I forgot that you will need a plumber too for the tankless or are you going to try and hack that as well?? BTW, you never answered if you need to run EMT in your area?

I installed my tankless unit myself and it was hacked together with thought as your boat.

Installed the 3" PVC Venting( hammer driled through the 8" foundation(PITA), the 3/4" copper sweat lines from the main since it was 1/2", Re-ran the gas lines that were 1/2" to 3/4" to provide enough BTU, ran the 12-2 electric line and i ran the 3/4" pvc drain. Took me about 3 days, but the work i did was perfect to code and looks amazing.

No i didn't call an ambulance, EMT's aren't necessary.
1970 Mustang
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:40pm
Amazing is my first thought looking at conduit, copper & PVC, lmao

Sounds like TP gave himself a happy ending when he finished.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

allowed by code or not shark bites scare me

I've used shark bites few times, not sure what there is to scared of. I prefer to sweat or use a compression fitting though.
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Amazing is my first thought looking at conduit, copper & PVC, lmao

Sounds like TP gave himself a happy ending when he finished.

Accomplishment boner ftw.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 8:46pm
Peter,
I'm very impressed with your accomplishment. Maybe Andy will hire you to go down there and install them in his new house. Wow, could you ever save him the $$$!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 10:14am

Peter,
I'm very impressed with your accomplishment. Maybe Andy will hire you to go down there and install them in his new house. Wow, could you ever save him the $$$!!

Thanks Pete, I don't care what everyone else thinks of you, I think you're a treat guy. Let me know if you need any help with your future home projects.
1970 Mustang
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 12:47pm
So, we sat down with the contractor last night to finalize and approve plans and make any last minute changes for his bid. During that conversation, we talked about several thoughts on options. Regarding the water heater situation, we spoke in more detail of costs and options. He said that with our 4 bathroom set up and hot water needs, the tankless configuration costs about $1100 in equipment and around $5-6k in additional electrical and plumbing costs. We discussed another alternative to the typical 40 gallon water heater in most houses and that is a smaller tank configured with a recirculator. Have any of you had much experience with this? He's installed them in several houses and said he plans to do the same in his own house whenever his standard water heater decides to go out.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:15pm
Isn't a 40 gallon pretty small for a 4 bedroom? I would think a minimum of 55.

I thought those recirculation systems were just so you had instant hot water, even on the opposite side of the house as the water heater? If that's the case, then how does that warrant getting a smaller tank. It wouldn't add any hot water capacity. Maybe you're talking about something else.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic