NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living in the country

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:58am
For any of you using a wood stove, are you using room (house) air or did you set it up with the fresh air kit?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

For any of you using a wood stove, are you using room (house) air or did you set it up with the fresh air kit?

Plan for a fresh air intake due to I assume will be a tight house build. I'm going through this now for the house rebuild up north. I have a Vermont Casting now in the house down here and want to go with them again. However, I'm having a real difficult time getting the exact location of the stoves fresh air intake so I can incorporate it in the wall/floor protection. VC has gone through several ownership's so I don't think anyone there knows what's going on!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Plan for a fresh air intake due to I assume will be a tight house build. I'm going through this now for the house rebuild up north. I have a Vermont Casting now in the house down here and want to go with them again. However, I'm having a real difficult time getting the exact location of the stoves fresh air intake so I can incorporate it in the wall/floor protection. VC has gone through several ownership's so I don't think anyone there knows what's going on!

Random, but I noticed my biggest leak area in my house now is my damn 6" oven air exhaust vent. Do they make a good vent that seals the damn cold air from coming into the house? My bathroom floor is right above the vent and the floor in area between the joists is freezing, thus making my floor cold as hell.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Random, but I noticed my biggest leak area in my house now is my damn 6" oven air exhaust vent.

What is producing the negative pressure? 6" round???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 8:07pm
if you have a door on your vent hood outside you shoudnt get too much cold back feeding . sometimes as Pete said you will get the negative pressure if say your water heater or furnace/boiler is pulling air from your living space. is your house really tight? make sure that vent door seals tight regardless.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 12:09pm
Random, but I just came across

2 - Laars 95% Boilers NXT080NXN1 and NXT080NXN2

1 - Noritz NH-150-DV

1 - Noritz NH-199 - DV

if anyone is interested...make a decent offer, they're brand new never used.

I'll definitely give CCF discount.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:13pm

1 - Noritz NH-150-DV

1 - Noritz NH-199 - DV

Peter,
You own these? Who's going to service them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:57pm
not products we ever see in new england but value is value wherever they are popular
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 8:47am

1 - Noritz NH-150-DV

1 - Noritz NH-199 - DV

Peter,
You own these? Who's going to service them?

I bought them in an auction, you can't service it yourself?

They're brand new.
1970 Mustang
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 9:53am
service   gas units themselves?????? i hope you are joking
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

What? I service my tankless hot water heater. Hell I installed it myself...

Not sure what the issue is?

1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 10:50am

if you have a door on your vent hood outside you shoudnt get too much cold back feeding . sometimes as Pete said you will get the negative pressure if say your water heater or furnace/boiler is pulling air from your living space. is your house really tight? make sure that vent door seals tight regardless.
\

Peter,
I missed this earlier, thx, and no my furnace and hot water heater pull air from the outside.

I'll check the vent.
1970 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 2:38pm
So, on the subject of the tankless units, I talked with one of our potential contractors about what he's done. He said the system he puts in does a small whole-house unit in the garage that preheats the water. Then, he uses small point of use tankless units in each area you want them. I've been doing a lot of reading about the tankless units and their pros/cons. It seems like this dual unit hybrid type approach maximizes the benefits of tankless. If we go with him for our build, we're leaning heavy towards this idea.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 4:41pm

So, on the subject of the tankless units, I talked with one of our potential contractors about what he's done. He said the system he puts in does a small whole-house unit in the garage that preheats the water. Then, he uses small point of use tankless units in each area you want them. I've been doing a lot of reading about the tankless units and their pros/cons. It seems like this dual unit hybrid type approach maximizes the benefits of tankless. If we go with him for our build, we're leaning heavy towards this idea.

Not a bad idea, but idk if i'd want to buy 4-5 boilers.
1970 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 4:46pm

Why?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 7:47pm

Primary and secondary heat exchanger PLC controlled along with all the other devices. Good luck!!

BTW, I googled both brands of these boilers I have never heard of looking for dealers/service. None in Wisconsin and only a rep in Illinois. Peter, put them up and ebay and see if you can get a return on your investment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 9:33pm
most systems seem to be more popular in certain areas than others   around me i have seen one teledyne boiler and 2 or 3 pool heaters since the early 80s    the biggest issue in my opinion is the lack of available emergency parts throughout the industry   its quite common around here to have homeowners wait for overnight shipping from a different part of the country even for common brands . last week for a goodman gas furnace i drove to the closest supply house that carries the brand. it was an hr drive i waited 2 hrs for 3 parts to come from 2 other branch's all in all it was 7 billable hrs for 45 min actual work .
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 3:12pm

Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 3:13pm

Primary and secondary heat exchanger PLC controlled along with all the other devices. Good luck!!

BTW, I googled both brands of these boilers I have never heard of looking for dealers/service. None in Wisconsin and only a rep in Illinois. Peter, put them up and ebay and see if you can get a return on your investment.

Well exactly, i figured who ever buys them will looks for someone who can also service them.

but that's exactly what I'm going to do, amazon and ebay avenues.
1970 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 5:26pm

Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

From what I'm hearing from this contractor, we'd be looking at about the cost of doing a zoned system or two traditional tank style water heaters. He's thinking around $1100. That doesn't seem too bad to me.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:23pm
Am I following you correct, it's gonna cost $1100 extra to go with 4-5 insta hots?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:33pm
It will be $1100 total instead of spending $xxxx on the standard whole house tank style water heater.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:39pm
It should cost $1100 just to wire 4 20a/120v insta hot.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:44pm
I think he was just talking cost of the water heaters themselves as a point of comparison. I would imagine to truly compare, I'd need to also inquire about the extra electrical costs, too, right?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Which is nuts it's something I could do in an afternoon, myself.
1970 Mustang
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 6:57pm
Yes inquire about electrical costs too. Electrician should get the sane to wire it as the plumber gets to dope it up. Electrician may get 15% more in reality.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 7:51pm

When was the last time you bought copper? No EMT needed?? What will you do if the inspector catches you? BTW, they can tell the difference between do it yourself hack work and a licensed pro!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 8:06pm

NEC requires a disconnecting means for insta hots. So for each unit 120V:
20a single pole push in breaker-$8
Average of 100' of 12-2 Romex (which I'd never do) at I'm guessing $0.50 per ft for EACH unit
3' min of 12-3 SOW cord, I'm guessing $1.00 ft
4x4x2/1/8 box and RS cover-$6
1 nema 5-20p spec grade plug-$10 and up
1 nema 5-20r receptacle $8
3-1/2" nm clamp/squeeze connectors per unit-$3 each

For each unit. Thats $95 in material before screws, ground screws, stupid non metallic staples.
$380.
4 units-$1000 to install.

Now for $620 you have to run the wire.
But before all that can take place:
You have to hold a master EC license for the company with 14 hours of annual continuing education. The test and schooling is pretty brutal and $, if you fail start and pay again. Post bonds and liability insurance through a company. Workers comp. Annual state fees. Annual local municipality fees. Pull the permit for the job (just 4 units if the house was already built) $75 average and 2 hours. Meet and wait for the rough inspection and final inspection. If you fail $150 reinspection fee, start over again. Now, with what might remain from that $620 you have too:

Wait for finishers, wait for the cabinets to be set, wait for plumber to finish. THEN you have to crawl into that cabinet and wire the unit.

Sure you could hire last weeks orange picker for $10 to jerk the jerk-mex. You'll have a real good reputation 20 years later.
Or you hire a worker who has a chance in this world (IBEW $27-35 hour here) pay their medical, retirement, supply them with a stocked truck and auto insurance and proper tools to do a proper job. And a chance to have a family and and further education.

End of my soap box, I apologize. Back to Living in the county.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 8:40pm

3' min of 12-3 SOW cord

Todd,
Since TP states he lives in Cincinnati OH, I have a feeling EMT (already mentioned) ard Greenfield would be needed. I sure hope TP doesn't mention BX!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2015 at 8:51pm
I figured it at the min per NEC. Note I said I'd never use jerk-mex and never 12ga. Even when EMT is required, sow in less than 6' would be legal without the greenfield sleeve, again per NEC min.

Side note- being a house, even though it's a dedicated circuit using a single chassis receptacle (non duplex), I'd bet inspector would require it be GFIC protected and I agree.... Add another $50 per unit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic