Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt40 issues after getting hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt40 issues after getting hot
    Posted: October-28-2014 at 9:48am
Ok here it goes... picked up a 1995 nautique w/ gt40 set up. The PO had trouble with it he replaced high pressure fuel pump, and both sensors temp, oil pressure. One head was also replaced after a rivet from the spark arrestor fell out into the head and got stuck in a valve. I replaced both relays, and the low pressure pump. I tried switching out the electronic box in the heat sink no luck. Note: I have a spare parts gt40 so there is really no problem with part swapping.
I tried to clean the anti siphon valve also but since it is right next to the return it is impossible to get out although I did pull a little gunk out. Fuel pressure was around 38 according to the PO.
Yesterday I took it out once again ran great for 20-30 mins then started sputtering like lack of fuel or vacuum leak. I turn it off and no start (separate issue starter would not turn no click either. Think I have a bad relay/solenoid) So after a few minutes I did get it started but still poor idle and running rough. Lastly I did here a sound from the gas tank almost as if gas was flowing back or maybe air escaping from tank. I did not think of taking gas cap off till later.
Any ideas ?
Thanks again
DC
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 10:31am
Dan,
Others I'm sure can comment on the possible fuel issue.

When you get the no crank, have you checked voltage in and out as well as to the coil on the start relay? Battery terminals and cables ok? Timing? Then of course the question of what type of battery you have. Hopefully it's not a deep cycle!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 10:58am
Thanks Pete, but I got plenty of juice after it cools down it fires right up. I haven't had a chance to check but I think I have a corroded connection or need new starter relay. I think that it is the simple problem (getting it started) . Running rough is the bigger problem I think I may need to pump the gas out and get new.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 10:59am
No deep cycle I keep that one for my car
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:41pm
I have a 95 GT40, just purchased in January, took a couple months to get the bugs out since it sat most of 20 years in a garage with no use.
A couple odd things about the GT40, when first used it would run great then run really bad, so bad I was worried I would have to get towed back to the dock. Changing all the fluids including the engine Oil and filter, changing the fuel filter and removing and cleaning the safety kill switch by the gear shift and changing the Impeller and Thermostat fixed mine. The system checks for oil pressure and coolant temperature.
If it does not like the signal from the Temp Sensor and the Oil Pressure sender it puts your engine in limp mode. It will run terrible but limp you home. ( designed to limit engine damage ) Doing the above mentioned work eliminated my issues. All basic stuff but it helped.
I really can't say which item helped the most since I did them all at once. I suspect the coolant sensor since my boat would run at 160 until you worked it hard and then idled, after the hard run and now at idle it would creep up towards 190. Never more but that was enough.
After the new thermostat and new raw water pump impeller it is constant at 160 with no variation.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:52pm
On your old gas statement, if the gas is older than 6 months, drain it and replace it. Some people say older than 3 months. Old gas has a history of gumming up your engine, it will shellac your piston heads and make your valve sticky, they can even stick open because of this. If that happens the only solution is to pull the heads and fix it.
If you are in a lawnmower shop look around at the warnings posted on the walls, they will show the gas warning. Same issue, old gas causes problems. I try and add Stabil or Sea Foam to my tank when I park it at season's end. Both say they extend the life of your gas.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 12:42am
Have you checked the little hose in the fuel cell? And the fuel pressure regulator?
Tim D
75 animal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 animal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 1:45am
Try the ecu plug. Clean all terminals with electrical contact cleaner and reconnect. If your problem is the same as mine this might fix it. Somehow the dirty plug didn't allow the right message to get through to the fuel pump, so it would fire up then cut out. I'd have to let it cool down before it would fire again otherwise it'd just wind over. You can hear the fuel pumps turn on when you turn the ignition on. My pumps didn't come on, and I thought it was the ecu. I cleaned the ecu plug and all was good. The fault drove me half insane cause the motor ran perfect otherwise, just couldn't switch it off! Also make sure ALL earths are clean and grounded well. Hope this helps. Good luck!
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 10:13am
I can here the fuel pumps running. But thats what I am going to do pump the fuel out, and clean all connections and see what happens. Just hope to get it done before cold gets here.
Thanks
DC
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Have you checked the little hose in the fuel cell? And the fuel pressure regulator?

Not all 95's have a fuel cell,my 5-95 boat's engine was built in 11-94
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 7:44pm
The early 95's ran two fuel pumps, a Carter P4070 supply pump and right above the supply pump is the high pressure pump. Both are mounted at the rear passenger side of the engine. The Fuel Cell design newer applications are mounted on the front passenger side of the engine block. I have seen many posts about the hose in the middle of the fuel cell failing. Good idea to change it now and be done.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 10:45am
Thats right no fuel cell. Just two pumps the high pressure is new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic