Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim platform Total seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JrCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim platform Total seal
    Posted: May-03-2004 at 3:14pm
If I made a teak swim platform could I seal the whole thing with a clear coat or does any one know of a product that would do this job.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2004 at 10:30pm
There is a product called TeakGuard that is getting alot of play on threads here and on Nautiqueplanet.com. I just refinihed mine with regualr teak oil but I used Amazon Teakprep and it did a great job.I just followed the directions. DO NOT clearcoat it or your riders will be slip sliding away.
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2004 at 11:54am
I just refinished mine about 4 weeks ago. The teak was in GREAT shape but there was some graying. I had to trim it to fit my transom, so I went ahead and sanded the whole thing. I bought TSP and teak oil at Home Depot and cleaned it with a plastic bristled scrub brush after I sanded it. I was not real heavy on the oil, but put on 2 light coats with a cotton rag. It looked FANTASTIC! I then spent a week at the lake camping and skiing. Every time it got wet it looked great, but every time it dried it lost a little more color. Now it's been about 4 weeks since the oil job and I've spent another weekend at the lake and I think I'll put on another coat of oil - it's looking pretty dry and colorless.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2004 at 2:05pm
nauti girl you need to apply more than two coats for it to last. You could also try using a paint brush to apply the oil and let is soak in. apply several lite coats of oil then wipe off the excess the next moring. there is a post on skiboathelp.com on cleaning teak and re-oiling and it works great no need to sand to remove graying and it last.
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2004 at 12:50pm
I use Star Brite(i think) 3 step process. Teak Cleaner/T Brightener/ T Oil. I scrub w/ a semi stiff bristle brush and cleaner then apply 1 coat of Brightener. The oil is a personal preference, but yes, 2 coats is WAY too few. I usually take a week to do my teak. Clean it and brighten it 1 day, then put a coat of oil on it every subsequent day until it goes back in the water. It's usually about 5-6 coats. It will last about 2 months. I used Sikkens on my last boat and it was VERY slippery! I would NOT recommend using it! It's a great product(expensive too), but just not for a swim platform.
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2004 at 12:51pm
OH, you don't want to totally seal your teak anyway....it's a wood that needs to breath!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic