NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which spark plug wires for HEI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which spark plug wires for HEI?
    Posted: April-11-2006 at 6:34pm
On the first outing of the year, my boat died. I have diagnosed the problem to be a bad ignition module (Prestolite conversion).

Instead of replacing the module, I may take this opportunity to upgrade to a DUI Performance Distributor (HEI). In this case, I'd need to upgrade to 8mm spiral core plug wires.

Ive heard good things about Taylor wires, but I am not sure which automotive application to cross reference (Ive heard not all 351w applications will fit our boats). Not sure if length is the issue or not.

I assume I need HEI terminals on the distributor end. Can someone recommend a Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm part number that they've used, or an automotive application I can cross reference?

Thanks!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2006 at 7:08pm
you are going to need female terminals on both ends of the wire. Most automotive wire sets are short and lay on the exhaust manifolds.

I would say that you should be able to pick-up a set of Chevy 350 marine wires and not have an issue. Hopefully, AWhite70 or joe will chime in since they already have this distributor
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:15pm
Do a search on the internet and see if you can find a company that will custom assemble a wire set that perfectly matches (length) the 6mm PCM wire set.

I went this route for a new wire set for my BMW V12 as the BMW dealer wanted about $250 per side for OEM wires. Unfortunately, it has been some time ago and I have since sold the car and all my records went with the car...so I cannot give you the company name.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:49pm
I do have this distributor but as you can see here

I havent exactly dressed the motor yet. My old setup had yellow accel wires that are the cheepo performance upgrade ones for a 5.0 mustang from the local auto parts store, they fit pretty well in terms of length but I had them run between the valve cover and exhaust manifold. I don't know how they will will route now that I am changing exhaust manifolds. I plan to get it all back together, make some measurements and then call back performance distributors to get a custom set of livewires from them. Awhite may be more helpful if he is already running this setup.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 1:00pm
these should work

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=75-1101
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 4:47pm
I also have a DUI distributor. I bought a Taylor Spiro-Pro Universal wire set. It came with both HEI and conventional distributor terminals. I had to cut the wires to length and install the distributor connections but everything worked fine.
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 10:55pm
Me three-

I have the same distributor as awhite and joe

Works Awesome!!! I bought a set of universal taylor spiro core wires ($50) and cut to length
I am running the stock autolite resistor plug(24) the engine calls for but I opened the gap up to about .060-.065"

I would also highly recommend a platnum plug. I am going to buy a set when I wear out the one's in the motor
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2006 at 12:13pm
Well, that solves it. I ordered some universal Spiro-Pro wires and will be building my own.

I ordered the DUI this morning. Performancedistributors said they have a backlog of 2 weeks.

Danman, any reason why you recommend a platinum plug? Ive read that they last longer, but regular copper plugs perform just as well (or better).
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2006 at 12:39am
Hey you guys with the DUI (HEI)...
Do you have a RH or LH? I emailed Performance Dist. and they replied that all they had was LH. Mine is a RH 351 and I REALLY want one of these distributors. Anybody know where I can get a RH or do I just need to call Performance Dist. and hope for the best?
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2006 at 10:50am
all you have to do is get the gear for a reverse rotation engine and swap the gears on the distributor. In both cases RH or LH the dist rotates in the same direction.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2006 at 11:12am
When I bought my DUI they had RH gears to install on the distributors. They charged me $75 extra for it, which I thought was pricey. I questioned them on it and they agreed but said they had to pay that much for them. I needed the gear and didn't have time to find on by other means so I went ahead and paid it.

I can't recall for sure but it's possible the gear from your original distributor could be installed on the DUI.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2006 at 9:14pm
Thanks AWhite.
I'm going to call them Monday. I'll pay the extra $$ as long as it works.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2006 at 2:28am
If your dist is correct for a rev or
RH rotation engine, then you may be able to use that gear, on a new DUI/HEI distrihbutor, regaurdless, the correct gear is available, if you need it. Just make sure you already don't have it on the unit you are removing?
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2006 at 10:09am
Well, I'm just not sure that the gear on my current Prestolite distributor will fit on the DUI from Performance. If the DUI is anything like the HEI's I've seen in the past, the gear is a module that attaches to the end of the distributor shaft. My Prestolite is a one piece shaft with a roll pin connecting the gear. I guess I need to measure my shaft diameter and see if the DUI is the same. If so maybe I can swap gears. Thanks 79.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2006 at 10:17am
the HEI's have a roll bin through them that attaches the gear to the shaft as well, almost all distributors are done this way. The difference is the drive built into the gear to drive the oil pump, some are sloted others are a hex.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2006 at 9:30pm
mine is a 5/16 hex. I believe that Chevy uses the slotted.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
klinger_2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 1:35am
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I am new to the site, and have some questions regarding things from this thread. First, the DUI performance dist., is that from performancedistributors.com??   If so, it says the coil is built in.... so i can get rid of the my current coil and all the other old stuff right?? How hard are they to hook up, and do they come with directions?? I have an 85 ski natique 2001, and im pretty sure it is reverse rotation, which is RH, right?? Does an 85 have a resistor block somewhere, and does it get used with the new one?? Will my prestolite gear work or do i need to buy a different gear? I would like to order this asap so i can start skiing again, so all the info i can get is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again

Kevin
Sky up, water down, or complete the rotation!!

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 3:52am
Kevin
Yes, the DUI Distributor is from Performance Distributors. It is supposed to have a one wire installation that replaces the existing distributor, coil, and resistor. Right Hand does signify a reverse rotation engine. You can verify that yours is a RH by looking at the engine tag. It should have a number that starts with something like PXRD. If the third letter is "R" you have a RH motor. An "L" is a LH motor. If your 85 has a resistor block it will most likely be in the rear of the engine usually under a plastic cover of some kind. As far as the gear goes, I'm not sure. I'm just going to order one with my distributor. I'm tired of these little setbacks. I'm ready for the water!!!
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 5:25am
Crane 8.5 are great wire.
SS 201
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 8:15am
tjackle-If you want to get back on the water fast a DUI might not be the way to go. They make a great product but each distributor is custom calibrated and depending on their backlog it can take them awhile. When I ordered mine I think they told me 2 weeks and it took 3-4.

As far as installation the DUI distributor replaces all of your current ignition gear (coil, ballast resistor, distributor). It is a one wire (well 2 if you want a tach) hookup. You'll need to extend the battery lead and tach lead from your current ignition coil to be long enough to plug into the DUI....that's it.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 10:21am
My current distributor works but... I just called performance distributors and they told me they can't get the RH gear anymore. The guy is doing some checking to see if he can get one anywhere else. I'm just sick of messing with the points and the resistor.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 1:58am
Ok- thanx for the clarification of some things.. So do you have to use bigger wires with the DUI, or is it "recommended"?? What effect would it have if you didn't do it? I am like tjackle, and am just sick of the points and coil and resistor etc.

On a side note, a lot of people talk about mallory distributors, they are like 240 or something from summit with the magnetic pickup--- well how much better are they then the stock one?? They are still mech. advance, so wouldn't they potentaily cause problems down the road?? This may be a cheaper faster route, but an HEI would be real nice, but is it worth the extra 135 dollars?? Thanx again for the good info!!!

Kevin

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 8:33am
Originally posted by klinger_2003 klinger_2003 wrote:

Ok- thanx for the clarification of some things.. So do you have to use bigger wires with the DUI, or is it "recommended"?? What effect would it have if you didn't do it? I am like tjackle, and am just sick of the points and coil and resistor etc.

On a side note, a lot of people talk about mallory distributors, they are like 240 or something from summit with the magnetic pickup--- well how much better are they then the stock one?? They are still mech. advance, so wouldn't they potentaily cause problems down the road?? This may be a cheaper faster route, but an HEI would be real nice, but is it worth the extra 135 dollars?? Thanx again for the good info!!!

Kevin

All marine distributors are going to be mechanical advance since the motor is always under load.

If youre sick of dealing with points, you can convert your distributor to electronic for about $100. SkiDIM carries Prestolite and Pertronix conversion kits.

If you want to upgrade to a full electronic distributor, the Mallory's from Summit are an option. When my EI module quit, I only looked at these briefly, however. While they are probably a better product than the stock distributor converted to EI, I dont think they were 3x better (for 3x the cost). They are the distributor only, so you still need a seperate coil. The Unilite requires a ballast resistor, not sure about the magnetic version.

I decided to go with the DUI for a few reasons.
-The advance curve is custom tuned, and will be consistent every time (unlike the stock dist).
-It ouputs a longer duration spark, improving combustion (HEI = High Energy Ignition).
-If I upgrade my motor in the future, the DUI can be re-tuned to the new specs.
-It replaces the distributor AND coil, simplifying wiring.
-you can replace the coil or module with stock GM HEI parts (which dont perform quite as well as the DUI parts, but will get you back on the water quick).
-The DUI specific coil and module replacement prices are reasonable ($45 and $49, respectively).

I am not sure if running stock-type plug wires with the DUI would cause any problems, but you certainly wont be taking full advantage of the hotter, longer spark it provides. Here is a quote from Performance Distributors:

"Stock wires have way too much resistance to run with any high performance igniton. Although we would like to see your run our Live Wire Plug Wires-if you don't at least make sure that you run 8mm spiral core plug wires."

Their Live Wires look nice, but are ~$100/set. I found the Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires for $50 shipped on ebay. I have to cut and terminate them myself, but at least I know the length will be right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 3:11pm
Thank you TRBenj, that answered many of my questions.. I called Performance distributors and ordered one this morning. They said 2.5 to 3 weeks until it can ship, but I am still skiing at college so we have use of a 2005 and a 2006 ski natique. They said that they cannot get the gear for the Reverse rotation at this time, and that no one is making them that they knew of. He said that the one on my prestolite will almost for sure work, but if i mess up the shaft etc. while chaning it they will not warrenty it, but will of course warrenty all of the electronics. The live wires were 119 bucks, and I didn't order those. I will order a universal set so i know i have the right length. He said make sure you get 8mm spiral core with less then 300 ohms per foot of resistance. He also said that stock ones were about 1200-1500 ohms per foot and would work but not that well.. I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone else wondering. Thank you for all of your help!!!!

kevin

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 6:40pm
You don't have to get new wires with a DUI because of the ignition system, you have to get them because the distributor end of the wires is different. The DUI uses a GM HEI style end that is different than the OEM style wire.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by AWhite70 AWhite70 wrote:

You don't have to get new wires with a DUI because of the ignition system, you have to get them because the distributor end of the wires is different. The DUI uses a GM HEI style end that is different than the OEM style wire.

Ahh yes, very good point. I was aware of this, but forgot to mention it. Thanks for reminding me!

tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:31am
I called to order my RH DUI from Performance Distributors and they told me they don't carry the RH gear anymore... I though I might could use my current dist gear but I'm not sure it's the same diameter. I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

I'm not sure what direction to go now. My old dist. bushings are worn pretty good. That's why I wanted a new one. I guess I'm going to get a rebuild kit for my current one and just upgrade it. What kind of kit do you guys recommend? I really want to do away with the points and the resistor (and I'd like a bit more spark as well)!
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:43am
Have you tried to find a gear anywhere else?

If you go with a simple EI conversion on your Prestolite distributor, call SkiDIM. I'm pretty sure they'll recommend the Prestolite conversion (as opposed to the Pertronix). The Prestolite should allow you to bypass the resistor. Just be careful- you wont be able to use a high output coil (like an MSD Blaster 2) because the ignition module is not designed to handle it. I suspect that was the cause of my Prestolite EI failure. Prior to that, the boat ran very well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 11:39pm
Well tjackle, i will be able to tell you in 2 to 3 weeks if the prestolite gear will work or not, because that is what i am banking on right now.... Sure hope it works. if my current gear has a smaller diamter than the shaft on the new distributor, i will probably put the old gear on a lathe and make it a lil bigger....Hopefully it just works. I will post when i find out!!!

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 5:35am
Originally posted by tjackle tjackle wrote:

I called to order my RH DUI from Performance Distributors and they told me they don't carry the RH gear anymore... I though I might could use my current dist gear but I'm not sure it's the same diameter. I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

I'm not sure what direction to go now. My old dist. bushings are worn pretty good. That's why I wanted a new one. I guess I'm going to get a rebuild kit for my current one and just upgrade it. What kind of kit do you guys recommend? I really want to do away with the points and the resistor (and I'd like a bit more spark as well)!
SS 201
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic