NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much gas over the winter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rbbordner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbbordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much gas over the winter?
    Posted: October-03-2013 at 11:43pm
I just finished most of the engine portion of my winterization and I am second guessing how much gas to leave in the tank. I am running on fumes right now. I put in stabilizer and ran for ten minutes. I've drained everything so it won't be turned back on until Spring. Am I good to go or should I fill up (half or topped off)?
As it is depressing to put the boat away for the winter, I hope to not let it drag out and be down by Saturday.
Thanks for the advice.

Robert
RB
1993 Ski Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 12:04am
There are two schools of thought... if the tank is full, there is less air space to condense and create water in the tank.   if you leave it empty, you have less bum gas to deal with in the spring.   I prefer to leave less in the tank since my boat is stored in the garage and there is not much condensation to worry about.   I also drain the fuel bowls on the carb and fog the cylinders.   It is always a bummer to put away the boat... I am glad you're taking care of it for the winter though.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 12:06am
I believe you fill the tank if it is a metal tank and you do not if it is a plastic tank. The metal is more likely to generate condensate. However, if I am wrong, someone will correct me.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 1:28am
I've had 15 years of experience (not an old timer by this site's standards, lol) with my pontoon boat, which has an I/O. It had a steel gas tank until I replaced it with a 50 gallon plastic tank about 5 years ago.

The boat is wrapped up / tied up in a large tarp (definitely not airtight) and left outside in the Wisconsin winter.

I always stabilize every drop of gas that goes into my boats. I also added lead substitute, but now it's getting hard to find.

Part of my winterization procedure is to fog the engine and then kill it with fogging oil. I use Marvel Mystery Oil. I choose to drain the block, manifold and riser and not use antifreeze (I'm talking about the Mercruiser 140, not the PCM 351W in the SN2001).

I have left the gas tank in just about every state... full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, one year it was almost empty. Honestly, it has never made a bit of difference in the Spring. It starts up, runs ragged until it burns out the fogging oil, then smooths right out. Then I change the spark plugs.

I never had a problem with the steel tank. It was 30+ years old when I took it out (it was too small for us).

Anyway, the theory about condensation blah blah blah makes sense, but I personally have never had any troubles whatsoever.

The bigger issue with leaving it outside is keeping critters out. We use many boxes of moth balls (individually wrapped in those meshes) and maybe a box of dryer sheets. One year we may have been a little short under one seat and we found a mouse nest with live babies in there. But they had done no harm. So we started doubling the amount of mothballs.

Steve
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 11:11am
All good info, even Donald, LOL. Personally have been storing with less fuel as I have had running problems come spring on old treated fuel, so now top off tank come spring to freshen up what was leftover and have had good success.

Another consideration, gas happens to be cheap now so 30 gallons is $100, come spring it could be $150, hopefully not!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 11:54am
I store with whatever is left when I winterize it. That may be full that may be empty. No stabil ever. Always fires as soon as fuel hits the carb in the spring. My lay up is short by Indiana standards. Usually winterize sometime in October. Break it out again sometime in April. So 5-6 months. Never used Staybil in any sled I have owned. Always runs fine in the winter.

We Staybil every boat we winterize here at the shop. I am just one to see what I can and cannot get buy with.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I believe you fill the tank if it is a metal tank and you do not if it is a plastic tank. The metal is more likely to generate condensate. However, if I am wrong, someone will correct me.

I have always heard this as well (fill the metal tanks and drain the plastic ones)... but my understanding was that it had more to do with corrosion concerns on the metal tanks with the moisture being generated by heating/cooling cycles. No concern with plastic so youre free to leave it empty and fill it with fresh gas in the spring like Quinner does.

I store my boats in an unheated garage, and have found my gas to be pretty bad come spring time, even when treated. It usually requires a fresh shot of fuel down the carb for the engine to start- though it will usually continue to run on the old stuff.

If it werent such a hassle (or I only had one boat to winterize) I'd be running my plastic tanks dry and leaving my metal ones about 3/4 full. Not quite topped off, just to leave room for expansion as temperatures change. Then, come spring time, I'd drain a majority of the old gas out and put it in my truck- then replace with fresh gas.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 12:20pm
Like Tim said, My preference if anything would be to leave 1/4 tank or so then fill it up on the way home from storage before you fire it so it has almost completely fresh fuel in the tank.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 1:05pm
Someone on another site mentioned topping it off with 100ll at the airport, doesn't go bad and has no ethanol. Here is only about $1 a gallon more which isn't that bad since your not filing it al the time.

No winterizing here, I try to use it every couple of weeks.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 1:41pm
I know from what they taught us in Aviation school was that you should top off the tank (or close to) when you park the airplane for quite awhile due to the condensation building up in an empty tank. Water in your gas is never good in anything especially an airplane. You don't want the engine sucking up water on takeoff or just there after. Part of the preflight checklist is to drain the sumps (which are dump check valves in the wing locacted at the lowest point of the tank where water collects)

That being said even in our mild GA winters I but stabil in the fuel and top off the tank even though Miss Scarlett is kept in the garage. Their have been days when I walked out and the garage floor is wet with condensation after several days of cold soaking then a warm day blows in.
I've never had an issue starting her back up but the most down time she sees is about 2-3 months. We don't have the temps and hibernations that y'all do but to make a short story long........ I'd fill her up.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 8:08am
I agree with Morfoot, my dad is actually an aircraft mechanic as well and says the same thing. I figure if it's good enough for an airplane it's good enough for my old boat. I think the problem (at least in my case) at the beginning of last season was the fogging oil not bad old gas. Initially wouldn't start, had to clean the plugs and spray starting fluid into the carb. After that she ran like a dream.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

All good info, even Donald, LOL.

Finally, QC is respecting me for my brains and not just my body.
BeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 11:53pm
In the 40 years I have owned boats of all sizes and desciptions, I have never once used Stabil or similar products. However I am a FIRM believer in topping off the gas tank for winter storage (actully about 90% full to allow for expansion). I have never had a problem the following sping on instant startup,other than the couple minutes of rough idling to burn off fogging oil.The gas tanks ran from 10 gal. to 240 gal. and were plastic or steel. Boats were always stored in a drafty barn which is actually a damper environment than the great outdoors. One saving grace is that our winters tend to be rather cold in the northeast and gas will be very stable in that kind of environment. But now that Ethanol is being introduced to all our gas, this may start raising problems - time will tell, I guess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by BeeJay BeeJay wrote:

But now that Ethanol is being introduced to all our gas, this may start raising problems - time will tell, I guess.

Robert, our Wisconsin politicians told their lies and sold their ethanol scam many years ago, so southeastern Wisconsin has been stuck with that garbage for a long time now. I have a bunch of gas-powered stuff--lawn tractor, mowers, snowblowers, weed whackers, blower, etc--and my small engine mechanic friend finally really laid into me to stabilize all my gas (except for the cars). He was really tired of pulling my stuff apart to clean the deposits out of the carbs. I get my gas at Mobil, BP and sometimes Citgo in a pinch, so I doubt it's a brand issue. Once I started using Sta-Bil in everything, I never again had the problems I used to have. As a result, I've also stabilized every drop I put in the boats. My boats are not 2013 models and I never really know if the next trip might be the last for the season (like when I lost an I/O coupler and didn't have time to pull the engine that week). Stabilizer is sooooooooo cheap compared to the gas itself. If it ever gave me issues (some people claim they got red deposits with the old stuff; I've used the blue for years), I would think about it, but it's never caused any hassle and it avoids all those deposit issues, so it's a no brainer for me.

I can't find the CD2 Lead Substitute any more, just the expensive Gunk individual treatment bottles. So after some discussion in other threads here on CCF, I'm going to try Seafoam with no Sta-Bil and no other lead substitute. That is, the normal dose of Seafoam in every tank of gas all season long. Then I'll double up the dose for the winter. Seems like an expensive approach, though. We shall see. Any thoughts?

Steve
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 12:49am
Can't recall title thread but recall one debunking value of lead additives; perhaps someone (Pete?) can recall. I would say, though, I've got 2 almost 40 year old boats and have never used lead additives, with seemingly no ill effect.

I typically leave the SWind between 1/2 and 3/4 and add Stabil. Starts fine every spring; just run the old "fall" gas out on first spring run. However, we do still get non-ethanol on our lake and the Georgia winters aren't harsh.......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
BeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 2:12am
Boarderstad
   Advice well taken. Will kep my eye on potential problems. I never really noticed any Ethanol stickers on our pumps until recently, but they may have been adding that crap long before they posted it! Shortly after I bought my boat new in '97, correct craft issued a recall on gas hose replacement because of problems with that additve. My particular boat was one of the few that were immune to it because of a different manufacturers gas line was installed, and I never gave it much thought after that. Now that I am starting to hear horror stories from all angles I am becoming more concerned about it.In the past, my only concern about Gas/storage was the accumulated condensation in the tank hence the near fillup at layover.Darn, just one more headache this "hi-tech" world is giving us.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I can't find the CD2 Lead Substitute any more,
Steve

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Can't recall title thread but recall one debunking value of lead additives; perhaps someone (Pete?)

Yup, it was me! Steve, I can't believe you fell for the "substitute" BS hype!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 12:13am
The gas companies put degradent in the gas so it will start to break down in about 90 days. They (oil companies) don't want you to stock pile gas. Aviation fuel doesn't have a degradent. I only run non-ethanol in my boats.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 9:11am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Can't recall title thread but recall one debunking value of lead additives; perhaps someone (Pete?) can recall. I would say, though, I've got 2 almost 40 year old boats and have never used lead additives, with seemingly no ill effect.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yup, it was me! Steve, I can't believe you fell for the "substitute" BS hype!!!

Jeff & Pete,

The Mercruiser in my pontoon is a 1974, and I'm not convinced that all post-1971 engines were built up for unleaded. The CD2 was really cheap insurance and so far my valve seats and stems seem happy.

I'd be interested in seeing studies that show lead substitute is a scam. There's lots of anecdotal evidence of valve problems after changing old engines to unleaded fuel... galling of steel, erosion of valve seats, valve damage. Is that proof? Maybe, maybe not. I haven't heard of any harm in using CD2 other than a few extra bucks, and I'm not worried about that given what I invest in boating every season. Hell, heading out to vacation we stopped and I filled up two SUV's and two boats... to the tune of 350 bucks. The cost of Sta-Bil or CD2 is irrelevant!

Steve
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 8:23am
I got an interesting email from BOAT US regarding this topic and I thought I would pass it along to you guys that may have not seen it and also get some feedback from y'all. As mentioned above it's not too much an issue for us who put the boats to sleep for only a couple months but those of you who put your CC's in hibernation for 6 months it is....Thoughts?

The Ethanol Debate

Ever since E10 (a gasoline blend with 10 percent ethanol) became widespread, there have been two schools of thought when it comes to winterizing your boat: Keep the tank full, or empty it completely.

Both sides agree on the basic facts. Ethanol is hydrophilic — it attracts and holds water. Small amounts of water will be burned in the combustion cycle, but ethanol can only absorb so much water. When it becomes completely saturated, phase separation occurs, and the corrosive ethanol-water mixture sinks to the bottom of the tank. If the engine is run, this mixture can damage seals, O-rings, injectors, and other delicate engine parts. The upper "gasoline" layer will be depleted of ethanol and have a reduced octane level, which can also cause engine problems. If a tank is left partially full, there is more room in the tank, which means more surface area for condensation formation and less ethanol to absorb the resulting water. Cycling temperatures from warm to cold also increases the amount of condensation. Finally, ethanol cannot absorb as much water at low temperatures as it can when it's warmer, so the gasoline will phase separate more quickly in colder temperatures.

The obvious answer is to completely empty the tank — and even the fuel lines and filters if possible. But any boat owner with a gas tank capacity of more than a few gallons will tell you how problematic it is to completely drain it, and some indoor storage facilities don't allow empty tanks because they may contain volatile fumes (usually there is an exception for portable tanks that are empty and uncapped). USCG regulations prohibit drain valves on the bottom of a gas tank (imagine what would happen if one corroded through or broke off, leaving a bilge full of gasoline) so the only way to remove gas from a large tank is by pumping it out. Too many of our claim files prove that using something like a shop vac to do the job will land you in the hospital. Finding ignition-protected equipment and transporting and disposing of the gas afterward is simply not practical for the average boat owner.

That's why Seaworthy has always been in the keep-it-full camp. We are, after all, boat owners, so we're forced to take our own advice. If it's impractical or impossible to empty the tank completely, then keeping it full should make it more difficult for enough water to get into the fuel to cause problems. But just in case we missed something, we asked some industry experts for their thoughts on the subject.

Bob Popiel, head of marine service at Yamaha, said his preference is complete draining of the fuel system including tank, fuel lines, carburetor bowls, and the vapor separator tank (VST). VSTs, he says, can hold a cup of fuel and they're vented to the atmosphere, as are carburetor bowls. The VST has a drain, but it is hard to access for a typical owner, while on older engines, carburetor bowls have drains that most people can get to, he says. Draining the system is even more important on older engines (10-15 years old) because they don't have the same ethanol-resistant parts that new engines do. That said, Popiel knows that draining the whole fuel system is often difficult, so another option is to simply disconnect the fuel supply and let the engine run out of fuel, which will at least drain most of the gas from the VST or float bowls. If you choose not to drain the system, he recommends adding a good quality stabilizer to fuel, topping up the tank, and running the engine enough to get fuel all the way through the system. Ten minutes ought to do it, he says.

John McKnight, director of environmental and safety compliance with the National Marine Manufacturers Association, says, if you're storing gasoline for two months or more, try to drain the tank if possible. If it's not practical, add stabilizer, fill the tank, and run the engine for 10 minutes to allow the treated gasoline to get into the fuel system.

Mercury Marine says that if it is difficult or not possible to remove the fuel, maintain a full tank of fuel with a fuel stabilizer added to provide fuel stability and corrosion protection. Top off the tank until it's full to reduce the amount of exchange with the air that might bring in condensation, don't cap the tank vent, and don't fill with fuel to the point of overflowing so there is some extra space in the tank to allow for fuel expansion and contraction with temperature changes.

So there you have it. If you can empty your tank — and entire fuel system — for the winter and your storage facility allows it, then do it. But where that's impractical, keep the tank full, add a stabilizer, run the engine for 10 minutes, and sleep well.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 9:32am
No mention of using non-ethanol fuel which seems to me to be the ultimate solution.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 12:51pm
I plan on running our boat at least once or twice a month during our short down time. I will probably run it on the lake for a bit, then fill it up with fresh gas before the next run.

I'm a rookie with boats, but this has worked great for my jetskis for the past 10 years. Don't see why it wouldn't work in a boat.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 6:07pm
Full tank with stabil... easy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

I have had zero luck with sta-bil keeping fuel fresh over the winter. I do not notice any difference with no stabilizer at all.

No ethanol free gas around here that I can find- though 100LL (avgas) might be an option. But its expensive and a pain to bring the boat to the airport that sells it(not to mention 4 boats ).
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have had zero luck with sta-bil keeping fuel fresh over the winter. I do not notice any difference with no stabilizer at all.

No ethanol free gas around here that I can find- though 100LL (avgas) might be an option. But its expensive and a pain to bring the boat to the airport that sells it(not to mention 4 boats ).

Stabil marine works.. it says so right on the bottle.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 7:59pm

Stabil marine works.. it says so right on the bottle.

Well, you didn't sat "marine" in your first post!!
I've used the Marine version for a couple of years. Still not the best!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 8:13pm

Did you use the increased dosage for long term storage? I think I forgot to mention that I use the standard dosage of Marine (blue) Sta-Bil all through the boating season, but after the last trip of the year, I add the second dose to bring it up to the long term storage level. That gets run through the fuel system when I warm the engine up for fogging. Sometimes I'm lucky in that the last trip of the year is outside of the SE Wisconsin counties that sell only ethanol-laden crap, so I'm able to get some real gas in the tank... but not every year. Also, I always run the high octane stuff.

Steve
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 8:31pm
So how did you determine gas went bad.... taste? Boat ran bad.

Ethanol suxs. Either way, the gt40 don't care...just goes.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 9:40pm
Bad gas has a very distinctive aroma, must be the ethonal
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 9:51pm
To much corn gives me bad gas too.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic