Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No more hull hugger (fart box)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more hull hugger (fart box)
    Posted: August-03-2013 at 12:38am
My brother fabbed up a (fart box eliminator). I will run it in the morning. Should sound good. All stainless construction, mandrel bends, and purge tig welded by a class A certified welder. Former fabricator for RCR nascar team.

He told me if anyone wants one he would put a price together on them. Should fit any boat with the hull hugger muffler (fart box).

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 1:56pm
Wow! Looks nice.

Would love to hear how it sounds.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 2:49pm
AWESOME! Post a sound clip!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 3:16pm
That's Hot.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Sam B Sam B wrote:

My brother fabbed up a (fart box eliminator). All stainless construction

It looks like he used 400 series stainless muffler components? You may be disappointed in it's corrosion resistance in a marine environment! Check on the stainless grade he used. If it is 400, a certified welder should know better.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:04pm
Come on pete, why you always have to piss in someone's cornflakes! Hell my pipes are aluminiumised steel for now until I order my copper ones. Great work that I see. Only thing I would have done different would have been a more of a Y instead of kick off pipe. Still great looking quality workmanship.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:18pm
in other words the welder you used is a hack and he should probably not be certified is what he is saying in his usual politicly correct gentle way with words..      looks good , if for some reason it only lasts 15 yrs and gets a bit punky looking i am sure you could have another fabricated
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:26pm
LMAO, 1234 pure comedy right thir.lol
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 5:56pm
"come on" Vic, I'm not "pissing in any corn flakes" but simply pointing out an important point. Why go to the extent of making a great looking Y pipe conversion and not using a the best grade of material?? There are several grades of certified welders but any of the grades should know what material should be used for a marine environment. As Peter mentioned, if he used a 400 series SS, he must be a hack. Sorry, but we'll have to wait for Sam to fill us in on what was actually used. However, I'll bet it's 400 considering the swagged ends and the different diameters used!

BTW, why did you use galvanized steel?    Are you shopping at Autozone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 6:10pm
Pete go back and re read my post. I didn't use galvanized, I used aluminumized, there is a difference. A man of your knowledge should know this.Also its temporary as I didn't know if I would like it and I do so I'll be ordering copper. What im saying though is you should have asked what material after you complemented the qaulity. Then if he replied with inefficient material use inform him then. Not beat the poor guy down before you even know what he used. I tell ya common sence and politeness is scarce. Unbelievable. ...........
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 6:20pm
Nice! I agree, the hull-hugger does make for an annoying exhaust note in the 2000-3000ish range.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 6:26pm
Anyway Sam it looks killer. My aluminumised steel has lasted over a year and with no sign of rust. Yours will last as long as you will probably need it. Great enginuity (spelling?) and design. If I needed that type of setup I would run it. Not going to turn your post into something else.... vic
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 6:58pm
Very Cool! yes would like to know cost!
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 7:25pm
sound clip by chance?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

Pete go back and re read my post. I didn't use galvanized, I used aluminumized, there is a difference. A man of your knowledge should know this.

Vic,
Sorry I missed the aluninized VS the galvanized. Yes, I do know the difference. In a salt spray test the galvanized will out perform the aluminized by far. I understand it's "temporary" and I was just asking why you went with the temporary. Understand it's the inside of the pipe that is the concern and not the outside you are looking at.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 8:09pm
Pete I didnt specify but the pipe is aluminumised inside and out. The reason for this is I didnt want to spend big bucks on copper if I didnt like it. Fourty bucks or way more for copper. See now?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 8:19pm
Looks sweet. Get that youtube video up so we can hear it.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"come on" Vic, I'm not "pissing in any corn flakes" but simply pointing out an important point. Why go to the extent of making a great looking Y pipe conversion and not using a the best grade of material?? There are several grades of certified welders but any of the grades should know what material should be used for a marine environment. As Peter mentioned, if he used a 400 series SS, he must be a hack. Sorry, but we'll have to wait for Sam to fill us in on what was actually used. However, I'll bet it's 400 considering the swagged ends and the different diameters used!

BTW, why did you use galvanized steel?    Are you shopping at Autozone?

are you alright?     when in the first post did you ever mention it was great looking.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 9:14pm
I used plain mild steel 90's on mine when I first did it.They replaced the rubber ones that connected up to the risers to make the turn to go under the floor. The rubber originals lasted 18 years and needed to be replaced when I got the boat.The plain steel ones lasted 21 years---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:45am
Had the boat out tody it sounds kick but!!!I will try and
take a vidio of it next time out. The stainless used on this PROTOTYPE is the cheeper stainless. Yes he did tell me it would show some signs of corosion over time. But I bought the cheeper stuff from jegs not knowing if it would be to loud for my liking or how it would fit in the boat. Now that I know it works and isn't to loud we will make all pipes from this point forward out of the better stainless.

I also noticed an increase of power after installing this. So glad I removed the fart box!

Pete! You the man!!!!
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:55am
Pete. If your calling my brother a hack I would put his list of acomplishment against your any day! I know your a very knoledgeable guy. But please don't insult people you don't even know. I don't recal him nor I ever insulting you.

Sam Brundidge
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 9:41am
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 9:47am
Sam,

Sounds like a nice upgrade. Post the price, and some overall lengths, and space between the two inlets, for assurance measurements. Might well be interested.

Thanks, Todd
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 10:36am
I'm guessing Pete didn't get to ride any inflatables yesterday and may be a little grumpy.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Sam B Sam B wrote:

Pete. If your calling my brother a hack I would put his list of acomplishment against your any day! I know your a very knoledgeable guy. But please don't insult people you don't even know. I don't recal him nor I ever insulting you.

Sam Brundidge

Sam,
If you are referring to me and not 1234, keep in mind he was the one who brought up the word "hack".
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

in other words the welder you used is a hack and he should probably not be certified   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 10:43am
At the risk of sounding ignorant I have to ask. What is a Fart Box?
Can somebody post a pic so I can understand what you are talking about?
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

At the risk of sounding ignorant I have to ask. What is a Fart Box?
Can somebody post a pic so I can understand what you are talking about?

Fart box is a name my kids gave the muffler in my 96. They thought it sounded like the boat was farting at idle. They like the sound of our 73 alot better. Open pipes! I don't have a pic of the muffler at this point but I will put one up tonight if somebody else doesn't

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 2:55pm
Pete B, Pete C's comment was a bit sarcastic. CCF loves Pete B but we scratch our heads wondering why you're critical of people actually working on their own boats.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 9:07pm
There was a brand new SAN hanging out with us today,, it was way too quiet! Sounded like a pleasure cruiser.
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 11:13pm
Almost there, just add another 3.5" outlet and your set to be heard over 2 miles!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic