Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low temp readings,gauge

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low temp readings,gauge
    Posted: April-16-2013 at 1:41pm
I never seem to reach any higher than say 125 on raw water cooled PCM

What is your gauge reading?
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 2:55pm
I'll bite. Not a bad photo this time.

Combine that with some oil talk, and photos and you'll get some action.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:07pm
try WFO
This is the life
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:18pm
Remove the t-stat housing, and we will better be able discuss condition, and that usually generates more heat.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:48pm
Maybe you left out a gasket.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Maybe you left out a gasket.

Or Blew One

Either way, think it's time for you to inspect all the hoses.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 4:02pm
If you turn the raw water intake a few twists you will find it too hot to touch.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 4:38pm
What does the thermo stat housing have to do with LOW temp reading?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 4:39pm
Not sure, on any of the responses...

Do you think maybe the gauge is bad? Or wiring has gone funny?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:04pm
Because the Thermostat is inside the housing, if its stuck open, or failed open then you will never get the engine up to temp. If the engine is actually getting up to temperature, and the gauge is just reading wrong, then you may have a wiring issue between the gauge and the sender in the side of the block, or if the sender was removed, and put back in with some kind of teflon tape, or plumbers dope you may no longer have a good ground at the block, which will also make a gauge indicate low.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:09pm
If it's only getting to 125 you may not have a T stat in there.

My comment was to run it Wide Open Throttle (aka WFO) for a while and see if that doesn't raise the temp.
This is the life
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by eljayrx eljayrx wrote:

What does the thermo stat housing have to do with LOW temp reading?

What does a shot of your t*ts, or some t*ts have to do with your boat temp?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:23pm
By the way,   that sure is a gaudy switch cover.   
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:27pm
I think we all recognize the internationla symbol for a low temperature condition.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:41pm

Do you think maybe the gauge is bad? Or wiring has gone funny?

More likely, a few loose screws.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 6:22pm
Benj - loose screws? The wiring going to the gauge itself? I will check that....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 7:17pm
No question someone needs to get up in that motorbox and do some probing
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 9:03pm

Benj - loose screws? The wiring going to the gauge itself? I will check that....

Loose screws and corroded connections mean higher resistance and a low gauge reading. Get the IR gun out and shoot the temp next to the sender. If it reads higher after you have cleaned up the wiring, open the T stat housing and check what's inside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 9:08pm
Ty--------Mr.peter will do that...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

open the T stat housing and check what's inside.

+1
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:06am
I guess, after checking all the wiring and screws nuts, and all that!Plus cleaning contacts...

What am I looking for inside the housing?

I know there is a thermo-stat.. But other than that,?
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:15am
I have the same issue, gauge reads barely over 100* with fifty degree water temps. Last year mine would get to around 125* with 70* water temps. This info is all from the gauge. I need to hit the t stat with a laser temp gun.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:16am

What am I looking for inside the housing?

I know there is a thermo-stat.. But other than that,?

You need a starting point, and I'd say cracking the thermo cover to see if it's in there at all is a good place to start.

A replacement thremostat should come with the gasket.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

I have the same issue, gauge reads barely over 100* with fifty degree water temps. Last year mine would get to around 125* with 70* water temps. This info is all from the gauge. I need to hit the t stat with a laser temp gun.

You may need to look inside as well. It's a simple operation.
1988 BFN-sold

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:22am
Buffalo-- I had the impeller replaced , my brother claims to replace those every 2 seasons...So after that my readings on the temp gauge went way down?

I doubt it was because of that..

Now earlier in the season I was getting uo to say 125 to 135 maybe..

I will have it gone over, thermo housing and all that ,,

ty again...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:23am
forvic--same thing as me...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:27am
The impeller is doing its job; thus the lower temps. The thermo regulates how much water goes through the engine or bypasses. It's a thermostat not unlike the one in your house.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:27am
Usually 2-3 bolts and a gasket.
1988 BFN-sold

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

You may need to look inside as well. It's a simple operation.

Buffalo, my housing came off over the winter. T stat housing is clear. Over in another thread I was trying to find a t stat. Tested mine and all is good. So t stat and housing is non issue.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 9:19pm

impeller replaced , my brother claims to replace those every 2 seasons...

Lin,
Since you brother seems to be up with impellers and oil, why not have him do the maintenance?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic