Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relocating Fuel Vent

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relocating Fuel Vent
    Posted: April-02-2013 at 6:32pm
Has anyone considered relocating the port side fuel vent? I want to surf the port side of my boat, but I am hesitant because I don't want to bring water into the fuel tank.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 7:32pm
Go for it. Looks to be a mid model year switch in 86 to the starboard side. I can't tell you if the bung was moved on the tank.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 8:02pm
It's an easy job to move!!

Sorry to thread-jack
Ive just bought a new vent should the mesh face up or down? I'm undecided as to which way would result in least likelihood to let water in..
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 2:48am
Mine faces down.

I was thinking of relocating it to inside the boat, why would this be a bad idea?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 8:26am
Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

Mine faces down.

I was thinking of relocating it to inside the boat, why would this be a bad idea?

Yes since any overfill or venting of gas or fumes will go into the bilge. Do you want gas in your bilge? I don't think so!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 6:13pm
I've tried it all except for relocating. Angled about 45° down and back is the best for me. The most important thing is to ensure you have a fairly long vent line 3-4 feet with at least one big loop. The point of the loop is to have a vertical line that the liquid has to travel and get the top of the loop as tall as you can.

That should take care of 95% of all your water problems. If you happen to still get water in your fuel on a random incident, you can add a water separator like you'd use on an air compressor. The standard pnuematic fittings should fit the lines well. I used this and you can visually check the bowl for fluid at the end of the day and empty it out then. http://www.harborfreight.com/38-compact-air-filter-68230.html
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

If you happen to still get water in your fuel on a random incident, you can add a water separator like you'd use on an air compressor. The standard pnuematic fittings should fit the lines well. I used this and you can visually check the bowl for fluid at the end of the day and empty it out then. http://www.harborfreight.com/38-compact-air-filter-68230.html

I would not use a compressed air centrifugal moisture separator for gas. It won't work on a liquid plus, the components like the plastic bowl won't handle the gas.

BTW, here's a proper link to the cheap compressed air water separator from China.

Needless to say, the recommended separator is NOT USCG approved. Do not mess with the fuel system with components not designed for the purpose. This was a very poor suggestion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 8:46pm
Why not take the easy way out and just buy a small clamshell type vent and put it over the tank vent?
Art
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Why not take the easy way out and just buy a small clamshell type vent and put it over the tank vent?
Art

Art,
There you go again with the non original suggestions!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 9:35pm
Pete - How much more un-original is the clamshell vs. moving the vent to another location?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 9:54pm
Chris,
The clam shell vent over the fuel vent was actually used on early hulls starting back into the wood hull days. I don't feel moving the vent to the opposite side is as noticeable as putting a clam shell over it.

BTW, you do realize I was just giving Art a "hard time"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 10:15pm
got it now.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I would not use a compressed air centrifugal moisture separator for gas. It won't work on a liquid plus, the components like the plastic bowl won't handle the gas.

BTW, here's a proper link to the cheap compressed air water separator from China.

Needless to say, the recommended separator is NOT USCG approved. Do not mess with the fuel system with components not designed for the purpose. This was a very poor suggestion.

The whole point of that thing is to filter out liquid whether it's gas or water. That way the vent constantly acts as a vent and not a dump hose. The bowl is also made of polycarbonate which handles gasoline just fine. Yeah it's not USCG approved but neither is exceeding the max weight of the boat or running your boat with loads of ballast on one side for wakesurfing but that's what people in wake sports do. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution nor did I say this should be your first line of defense but sometimes you have to come up with unconventional solutions to unconventional problems.

You could locate the vent to the other side but then no one could wakesurf on the other side of your boat. You could run a clamshell too but that only covers you from the front. The massive wave that hits the back of the boat when you slow down with loads of ballast will funnel all of that water into the vent line. If you move the vent further forward you potentially run into problems with water ingestion at speed when the boat puts out spray from the chines. If you put it way up near the bow, you can ingest water if too many people sit up front or you slowly go over a large wave.

Link for chemical resistance of polycarbonate
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 2:23am
"If you put it way up near the bow, you can ingest water if too many people sit up front or you slowly go over a large wave."

My Century vents near bow and never had any problem with ingestion, although it's a sleeker hull design than SN so not as prone to plowing. The only downside is that if tank is full, while trailering, in turns the fuel can spew out the vent a bit.

However, I can't imagine a bow vent is feasible with a DD rear tank setup, mine is v-drive with tank in bow. Always been curious on the Separator, same setup?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 7:35am

The whole point of that thing is to filter out liquid whether it's gas or water.

John,
You have missed the whole point about using something not designed for the intended use and obviously do not understand how a compressed air separator works. It will remove small amounts of water in a vapor state and not in a liquid state. Note that polycarbonate is "resistant" and not proof. Don't forget the alcohol in today's gas plus the gasket material.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 11:28am
I typically install a 90* vent with the hose end point straight up. The vent line is routed to the topmost interior space before coming back down to the vent. If you get water in my tank it means that the port quarter is under water 3" over the rub rail and you had better start bailing.
In addition you may want to look at a Racor LG50 vent separator.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The whole point of that thing is to filter out liquid whether it's gas or water.

John,
You have missed the whole point about using something not designed for the intended use and obviously do not understand how a compressed air separator works. It will remove small amounts of water in a vapor state and not in a liquid state. Note that polycarbonate is "resistant" and not proof. Don't forget the alcohol in today's gas plus the gasket material.

Like I said, it's not the first line of defense. The real fix is the looped vent line and as I said in my first post, that will block out roughly 95% of all water ingestion along with a properly angled vent. I added the comment about the air/water separator as a last resort. I don't feel it's necessary to write 2 pages of disclaimers, warnings, cautions, and notes in forum. It's a forum...you take everything with a grain of salt and use the information as you see fit. You could get rid of your anchor light and run the vent up through that and it would work 100% and be safe but would look disgusting. I wouldn't do it but if your problem was bad enough, it might be an option.

The part that annoys me is you were so quick to reject the air/water separator that anyone reading this will immediately discredit the entire post. I don't typically get insulted easily but your post definitely felt more like you slamming me over just disagreeing.    The fact that I went from having a severe water ingestion problem to successfully eliminating all water from my fuel system with these two methods wasn't even relevant. The air/water separator does work like how you state but if you pour water in one side, it goes into the bowl and won't come out the other. Regardless of the original intent, it does the job I need it to do, when all else fails.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 10:34pm
John,
I'm sorry you feel insulted. Yes, I'm blunt whenever a suggestion is made compromising fuel system safety.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 11:18pm
Happy birthday Pete! I'd replied on bowvents re: front tank and I'd asked about the Separator....it occurs to me now that this question might have been misconstrued into the WATER separator discussion on this thread. My question was on the CORRECT CRAFT Separator...a similar vintage and style and v-drive system as mine.
Never seen a Separator but always been intrigued....can I presume it is same setup; i.e. bow tank, etc???

Crazy about early 70's v-drives...I'm (of course) partial to the Century Mark II but the Chris Craft X19 is a close 2nd....or maybe the very rare v-drive Donzi Sweet 16. Gotta love the Sweet 16...sexiest boat ever built..

More Separator info please........

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:47am
So does anyone have a solution to not getting water in the fuel tank when weighting the boat to surf it? The loop seemed like the best idea thus far.

Thanks for the discussion everyone!
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 7:48am
Jeff,
The CC Separator used a belly tank. There is a great thread on a rebuild and I'll see if I can find it. When CC came out with the model, I feel their intent was going after the Donzi sweet 16.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 7:52am
Dakota,
I'd say looping the vent line and keeping the loop as high as possible under the aft deck is a good attempt with the water problem. Then, Art's idea of a clam shell over the through hull is another good idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic