NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Competition Barefoot Boats, Non CC

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 12:37am
42mph

46 mph

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 12:39am
Actually if you load 5 people in a BFN the wake gets the hump goin too.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

I could've misspoken. Is a 6L a BB? I'm fairly certain that's what this guy has. His idea was to get more HP with this engine upgrade and then load the boat with fat sacs to tournament load to mimic tourney wake and table. I don't think he had to use a different motorbox or modify the original in any way. Greg Fosset would know as he's driven this boat for the New Years day BF challenge.

I was told there would be no math!

the 6 litre ZR6 PCM is a small block this was a one off boat for New Zealand.

The Big Block Mercs were 8.1 and 8.2 litres...big blocks big cubes

There have been a lot of different motors put in these boats.

This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 10:34am
Steve,
If am not mistaken Ron had the 409 (6L)put into the Sanger. Wish I had in the Sport Nautique.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 11:47am
That black scorpion is a hot rod. My buddy has one in a 02 response LXI and it runs right at 50.2 at 4900 RPM. He sent the prop back to Acme and told them he wanted it to spin 3-400 more RPM. We will see what it does in the spring. The heads had to be shaved a bit due to an over heat and he had a 3 angle valve job done while they were off so it may be a little hotter than it was originally. 20 ponies or so.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 8:14pm
If it's a Blue Scorpion like the one pictured it's from Mercury Racing Division. 377 ci/ 377 hp. "377 Scorpion"

This guy does not even know he's selling a barefoot boat.

Barefooter for sale
This is the life
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 9:52pm
Andy,

We have to get some of these guys to come out and ski with you. I bet
we could use Rich Peters boat at Diablo Shores, and probably get
Pellaton and Temby to come out along with you, Willy, Flipper, who knows.

BTW - I think you and I met once. I don't remember if it was at Diablo Shores or perhaps at the ski show Temby put together at Orwood. I think you
know my wife as well, Denese Davidson.

Guys, Sanger could put whatever stringers they want in a boat. They like wood and believes it give the boat the best characteristics (recall CC felt the same way for a long time). Once Sanger agreed to a lifetime warranty for original owners, it became kind of a moot point. CC has a boat with stringers they say will last forever, and Sanger has stringers it will warrant forever.

Of course, if you buying used, perhaps a different story. But, there are plenty of 25 year old Sangers driving around out here.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 11:38pm
I've skied with Rich, and Temby and Jerry, you know I ski with Willie, I've skied at Diablo since before it was made longer. I did work in Temby's show as a skier and camera op a couple of years. I don't think we could get Scott out to foot.

I can't put a face to the name, Davidson is the last name of Sanger Boats owners!?

I was just down at the factory to see my friends new boat he has the first "Dagger" DXII.

Barefoot Nationals is at Diablo Shores this year so we will all be out there.

This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Guys, Sanger could put whatever stringers they want in a boat. They like wood and believes it give the boat the best characteristics (recall CC felt the same way for a long time). Once Sanger agreed to a lifetime warranty for original owners, it became kind of a moot point. CC has a boat with stringers they say will last forever, and Sanger has stringers it will warrant forever.

Of course, if you buying used, perhaps a different story. But, there are plenty of 25 year old Sangers driving around out here.

Agree to disagree, Brian!

Anyone who says "wood is the best" without any caveats is just spouting marketing BS. It may be the best low cost material available, thats a viable argument. It certainly is "good enough" to build a quality boat. CC did it for a looooong time. They finally found a better way- better in that there is no longer any wood that will rot, while the performance of the boat is essentially unchanged. I understand that the wood-like stringer core materials are cost prohibitive for a boutique manufacturer like Sanger, but that doesnt mean they get to ignore the fact that there are better alternatives available. They choose to get by with a lower cost material (wood), and back it up with (presumably) great craftsmanship and a great warranty. Nothing wrong with that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 2:14pm
Sanger never built a Boutique...that was Correct Craft.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by Merriam-Webster Merriam-Webster wrote:

bou·tique
noun, often attributive \bü-ˈtēk\
Definition of BOUTIQUE
1 a : a small fashionable shop
1 b : a small shop within a large department store
2: a small company that offers highly specialized services or products
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 2:55pm
I don't know that I'd argue for crafstmanship Tim. I think other brands
have better fit and finish than Sanger.

But, I've talked to the folks who build them. They beleive that wood makes for a better performing boat. Agree to disagree, that's fine. I don't really buy that either. But they seem to sincerely hold this belief.

Again, with the warranty they've put forward, the wooden stringers are a non-issue for a new boat buyer.

Used boat, buyer beware, just as a buyer needs to beware when buying an older CC with wood stringers.

To date, I have only seen one Sanger that needed a stringer job. I don't keep a tally, but I am familiar with a lot of Sanger boats. Now, these boats are fairly new. I don't think Sanger started making the inboard Ski Sanger line until 86 or 87. What I have seen a lot is the ski pylon pulling out of a Sanger. The pylons were mounted a to a crappy plywood cross brace. I helped a neighbor fix the pylon mount in his 91 this summer. They seem to be doing a better job with that as well on newer boats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 3:14pm
I cant speak to the craftsmanship of Sangers either. Im just assuming that was one of the things theyre doing to compensate for the wood. If they truly believe that the wood makes for a better performing ski boat, I think theyre kidding themselves. I could possibly see that argument on a much larger boat that needed to flex, but ski boats are small and pretty darn stiff.

I would imagine that the lack of foam is the main reason the older boats are preserved so well, assuming thats how theyve always built them. Same thing goes for the mid 60's glass CC's that didnt get foamed- those boats are much less prone to rot than the foamed boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 3:22pm
I'd argue craftsmanship because these boats don't fall apart after 20 years they are still solid.

"you can fill the boat with water leave it there for 3 years, you can raise fish in the boat" LOL
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 3:33pm
Disco Bay is crawling with Sanger boats too so I know Brian has seen alot of them...hundreds of them...never two alike.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

ski boats are small and pretty darn stiff

Sanger does do some special things to make their skiboat stiffer than the competition's boats.

Bulkheads are added which significantly increase the hulls strength and rigidity.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2013 at 5:15pm
Here are two of the bulkheads that make these boats so rigid. More get glassed into the sides.

Wood! wood! wood!

A new barefoot boat is born. Yep that is gelcoat.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 1:44am
getting closer to done.
The first DXII to get "The Dagger" gelcoat graphic.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 1:53am
Here's the Indmar 6.0

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 2:13am
a little hard to see some of the detail

gelcoat lines ---none of this is tape or decal or stickers

This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic