NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine not idling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine not idling
    Posted: December-21-2005 at 2:41pm
Where you been 79? Haven't seen you here in a while. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 1:41pm
The end of the cable is a spring loaded connector and it detaches easy, just pop it off and then mess with the carb. If the idle drops right off the bat then odds are the cable needs re-adjusted at the carb and the idle mixture screws need fine tuned. But a carb overhaul never hurts especially if you don't know how long it's been since the last one.
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

before you get to crazy re-building the carb make sure that it's not a cable adjustment issue first. Disconnect the cable at the carb and then set the idle mixture screws and base idle and see if you have the same issue, if so then rebuild the carb. Also before you do this make sure the timing and dwell (if a point dist) is set correctly then adjust mixture screws and idle. Also you may have a huge vaccum leak as well so make sure the carb is tight all around. Check the mounting bolts and the bolts holding the fuel bowls on as well.

Very good call.... That seems like something to do to annoy the neighbors over Xmas actually :-)

Back to basics for me and we'll see how it goes.

I'm keen to get it all back together but of course it's not going anywhere until it can actually run and idle properly.

surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

before you get to crazy re-building the carb make sure that it's not a cable adjustment issue first. Disconnect the cable at the carb and then set the idle mixture screws and base idle and see if you have the same issue, if so then rebuild the carb. Also before you do this make sure the timing and dwell (if a point dist) is set correctly then adjust mixture screws and idle. Also you may have a huge vaccum leak as well so make sure the carb is tight all around. Check the mounting bolts and the bolts holding the fuel bowls on as well.

Definately make sure none of that is the problem first. Good call.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 7:09am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 7:37pm
How long has it been since you rebuilt?

Its either a 4150, or 4160. The 60 has a different secondary metering block than the primary... On the 50, they are about the same.

Do you have the Ford or Chevy?
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 5:13pm

Imight as well rebuild I guess as it will be better in the long run.

The 81's have the Holley 4160 right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Bob's2001 Bob's2001 wrote:

You may need to clean and rebuild the carb. If it has been sitting for an extended period the idle circuit may be plugged. The old gas will harden and turn to varnish and the little passages in the idle circuit won't flow. When you bump the idle up you are off the internal idle cicuit. Carb rebuild kits can be had reasonably and the rebuild is not difficult, just take notes and get it all clean. And be sure you get a marine kit.

And if you do get a rebuild kit, get a new metering block too. There are a lot of little passages in there that can get clogged really easy.

And I thought you might have an 81 manual. The reference section seems to be missing it.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 2:26pm
You may need to clean and rebuild the carb. If it has been sitting for an extended period the idle circuit may be plugged. The old gas will harden and turn to varnish and the little passages in the idle circuit won't flow. When you bump the idle up you are off the internal idle cicuit. Carb rebuild kits can be had reasonably and the rebuild is not difficult, just take notes and get it all clean. And be sure you get a marine kit.
Bob Ed
83 2001
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 1:01pm

No, other than the cable being shifted and AFAIK the carbs not been done.

I'll have another very close look to see if anything is looking weird though.. going to be 38 degrees C today so it may have to wait.

All the manuals are found on this site in the reference section :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 10:35am
Has the carb been taken apart recently? Sounds possible that the transfer tube from the metering block to the carb is missing.

I've had that same trobule with mine before... let me think some more.

And is there any chance I could get a copy of that manual? When we got the boat, we never got a manual with it.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 3:03am
I have just started getting into my '81 SN after pulling out the interior.

After fitting a flush kit I thought I'd give it a bit of a start as it hadn't been started for a while.

The problem is the engine just won't idle, it runs fine @1600 rpm's + but if I cut the throttle it just dies unless the idle screw keeps it at around 1200-1500.

Now the hand throttle had been loosened and throttle cable messed with. So it's quite likley that I have pulled, bumped something.

Where to start? could I have bumped/messed with the choke somehow?

I'm reading the PCM owners manual now but I figure someone will have had a similar problem before.

Thanks

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic