NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 San Juan has a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:51pm
So there was a 2" hose connected to the portapotty - anyone have a guess as to where it goes... and what went in it? I want to get that hose out of there.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:21pm
It's probly was used to pump it out is there a clean out in the deck? Or it might be an old enuff set up to dump directly over board that's my guse
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:22pm
Yeah, really nasty stuff went in it, and I bet that exit hose went to the bilge....

yikes!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

enuff guse

???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Nice Find,

Did it come with a Wildlife Title or Bill of Sale ( free) something that will help you get it registered in New York State?

Donald

Wildlife title? It looks like it came with an entire wildlife sanctuary. I have never seen anything like that before.
Nice looking boat. It is enormous.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 11:06am
I would have loved to back that boat onto the ramp of some of the new england lakes just to see the look on the faces of some of the inspectors that look for foreign objects on the hulls ... I can see them just running at the boat screaming stop stop.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I would have loved to back that boat onto the ramp of some of the new england lakes just to see the look on the faces of some of the inspectors that look for foreign objects on the hulls ... I can see them just running at the boat screaming stop stop.

Hahah I would love that also.

didn't think those suckers culd attach onto brass.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:35pm
You're right Peter, the milfoil inspectors wouldn't have known what to do with that one!

To be honest, all that stuff on the hull kind of creeps me out, I think I would have had to stop at a self serve car wash and used a scraper to get most off, see if the high pressure hose would do anything. Then again I'd feel guilty plugging up their drains ....
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:50pm
That barge would make a great home for a 572 crate motor
Brian
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:57pm
You are going to have to take that free boat back because I did see a FRAM OIL FILTER on that engine.

Donald
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Yikes! I'm not so sure there has ever been a 50 mph San Juan, and not so sure how it would handle at high speed, but I guess anything is worth a try. Seems like a fairly bow heavy boat that might want to bow steer suddenly at higher speeds.

I'm thinking a Peninsular 6.5 diesel. Unfortunately they are very expensive.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Yikes! I'm not so sure there has ever been a 50 mph San Juan, and not so sure how it would handle at high speed, but I guess anything is worth a try. Seems like a fairly bow heavy boat that might want to bow steer suddenly at higher speeds.

I disagree. The v-hulls handle speed nicely and dont do any of the scary things that the flat bottoms do, even when eclipsing the 60mph mark. No tendencies to chine lock, rudder stall, etc. They get up and teeter on the center of the hull, pretty uneventful... even when bow planted (our BFN buries the nose around 55mph and keeps pulling from there). I bet you could put some good power to that tank.
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:14pm
cant wait to see the SJ back on the water with a more hydrodynamically efficient hull
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:16pm
Well let's find out then! I get what you're saying about the v-hull, maybe instead of one person in the backseat it would need 3 people to get that bow up a bit.

Jeff, you haven't even started on it and a bunch of people are trying to talk you into putting 400 plus HP in the boat!

It does have a really nice hull profile!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I get what you're saying about the v-hull, maybe instead of one person in the backseat it would need 3 people to get that bow up a bit.

Unlike the flat bottomed boats, I have not found the v-hull to respond to additional weight in the back. Ours runs just as fast with 2 in front as with a back seat full. Definitely different hull dynamics!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:28pm
Awesome photos !!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:56pm
It's an Apex cool!! That motor screams around 5300 rpm. She been in the water for sommmeee time. Looks like you and I have the only free boats on the site!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Unlike the flat bottomed boats, I have not found the v-hull to respond to additional weight in the back. Ours runs just as fast with 2 in front as with a back seat full. Definitely different hull dynamics!

I guess so, learn something here every day. What's top speed on your BFN these days?

I looked in the diaries, there's a GT-40 powered SJ, a few 454's, one 440. There's a twin 302, and I don't think I've seen a twin powered SJ or Cuddy with anything bigger than 302's. So, there's some 300 plus HP boats on this site, would be interesting to see some top speed numbers from them, and from the twin setup.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:24pm
I think the 302's were the standard option for all the twins... probably because theyre the narrowest 8cyl. A single screw small block seems like it would be overworked in such a large boat... a buddy of mine had a 302 in a 20' Shamrock and it could be propped to come out of the hole nice, but topped out in the mid 30's. A big block would be a better option, I would think.

Still tuning props, etc on our BFN, but its running a consistent 61-62mph.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:43pm
Tim - I know it's hard to see - I'll get some better pics and a number - but doesn't the prop on the SJ look ridiculously small?

And yeah, "Tank" is definitely the word to describe this thing.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:57pm
Tough to tell from the pics... might be a 13"? Doesnt look to have any extra clearance.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 4:58pm
that is definitely a Nautank
This is the life
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 5:02pm
That thing is pretty cool, I would get the apex running as it should be great economical power for that boat. It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing, if you can get the thing to cruise 30 mph at 3800 you would be doing pretty darn well. Run it down the intercoastal to florida for the winter!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing

Why not? With such a deep vee, I bet you could foot behind it in 3' seas!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:28pm
I'll volunteer to ski behind it, might get some good air over the wakes! Would be a challenge to get back into the boat. Maybe it will be the ultimate surf machine.

Joe, you're right of course, the real practical thing is to be able to cruise efficiently at 24 - 32 mph. I think it would be a blast as a coastal day cruiser, or big lake cruiser. If I had to repower it though I'd definitely go with a big block.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:35pm
There used to be one on our lake with a 318 and it seemed to cruise along pretty well. Their intended market wasn't looking to go fast or pull skiers and footers, although it may be the original surfing boat. Correct Craft was way ahead on surfing based on the '66 brochure.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:57pm
The '68 brochure shows 5 different engine configs. WOW, 60 gallon tank! You sure don't want to guzzle the go-juice!

With a dry-weight of 4400 lbs, sure looks like the boat was a bit underpowered in all motors except the mercruiser...even the twins only combined to get you 250hp...

But then again, this was essentially just a party-barge, so the 250hp options were likely plenty...

Ultra
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:03pm

It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing

5 bucks a gallon for gas on the water is why not, having a big water crusier that you can't afford to cruise in is just plain ol annoying, big waters mean big distances to cover. Fuel injected small block is the way to be! (Unless you got diesel power money burning a hole in your pocket).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:06pm

5 bucks a gallon for gas on the water is why not, having a big water crusier that you can't afford to cruise in is just plain ol annoying, big waters mean big distances to cover. Fuel injected small block is the way to be! (Unless you got diesel power money burning a hole in your pocket).

If I had that boat it wouldn't exceed 1000 rpms on Sebago Lake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:10pm
Economy, eh? Ive heard of it.

EFI... cant argue there. Big block vs. small? Are we sure that a big block propped appropriately wouldnt deliver the same economy (through reduced RPM's) as a small block?

Seeing as how he's got the makings of a EFI SBC, Id stick with it... but if it were me, and I was starting from scratch, a big block would get some serious consideration. And you'd better believe it would be getting ski pylon!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic