NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hotmail, excessive junk mail?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotmail, excessive junk mail?
    Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:30pm
I have a couple of different email accounts I use. My Hotmail account gets a LOT of mail in the junk folder.... (75 to 100/day) The yahoo account, 5 or 10 a week.

Is there a reason for so much crap at Hotmail?

Anyone elses experience?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:42pm
Just the opposite when I open Hotmail maybe a dozen, Yahoo 80-100
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:42pm
I have Yahoo and Gmail. I get a lot in my Yahoo actually, cause that's the one I use for most online purchases and stuff.

I think Gmail is the best for spam control. Also, if you have places you want to get email from, you can set it up so they automatically go to certain folders to keep it organized.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 10:24pm
Steve,
Have you been visiting those weird sites again?

I just went to my AT&T mail and had one new in the spam folder from yesterday. It was a job search engine that must have gotten my name off ether Monster, Craig's or Linkeden? Max, I'll have two per day and nothing I would consider true spam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 1:03am
I came across an EarthLink address the other day, made me laugh. Yahoo is outdated and full of spam. I had to get an invite for my gmail!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 1:47am
I use the Yahoo addy for my personal stuff and most of my online purchases. Pete, CCf is about as "weird" as I get....

The Hotmail I use a lot at work.

Earthlink? havent heard that name for a while... and I thought my Yahoo was out of date, but I get very little spam there.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 2:59am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

CCf is about as "weird" as I get....

You need help then--- were here for ya!   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 3:47am
II don't think it is hotmail, I would guess at some point you gave your hotmail address to someone who sold it. I have two accounts, one I give to people I want to interact with, another for when I "have" to give an email address but would prefer not to. The second gets a lot more spam.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 9:29am
I have abandoned my hotmail account in the past due to getting 1000's of spam messages when one of the last big spam/virus emails came out but luckily if you can live without the account for a month it gets reset I was in the past using Hotmail to retrieve my Pop accounts for my domain name(s) but the total lack of good spam filtering was just hopeless, it may have improved a little since I last looked though.

I switched to google mail (gmail) and the spam filtering is excellent and I now only suffer from 1 or 2 spam emails a day that get through to my inbox all the others bypass the inbox and go straight into the trash and get deleted automatically every 30 days.

I have filters setup for automatically moving emails from various online sites directly into different folders keeping my inbox pretty clean for the important stuff like CorrrectCraftFan

One thing that might be useful is to use the Hotmail account as a Forwarding account and forward all your emails to a gmail account so that you can use thier filtering, as long as you log into your hotmail account at least once every 270 days your account will stay active, you can also bounce emails between the 2 systems by setting your default reply to address as your hotmail account but you check all your emails from within gmail without ever using the gmail email address!
I have not actually tried this with a hotmail account but this is what I do with my domain email accounts.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 1:34pm
Coincidentally, my Yahoo email got hacked yesterday by someone in Mexico.

My friends/family whose addresses I had on there were getting all sorts of spam with my name on it.

I think any CCFans, whose personal emails I have, I have on my gmail. So, hopefully no one here got anything like that from me. I'd say gmail is much better all around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic