Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help tuning 351w

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help tuning 351w
    Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:28pm
I'm having trouble getting my ski nautique 2001 to WOT. The tach as shown in the video below just bounces as soon as the RPMs get above 3200 RPM. I have the commander 351.

I played around with the ignition timing yesterday and no effect. tried 8, 10 and 12 btc. I haven't touched anything on the carb yet. Hoping people here could point me in the right direction of stuff to try before i start messing things up on my own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96B4xxeu-M&feature=youtu.be

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by SN2001fan SN2001fan wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my ski nautique 2001 to WOT. The tach as shown in the video below just bounces as soon as the RPMs get above 3200 RPM. I have the commander 351.

I played around with the ignition timing yesterday and no effect. tried 8, 10 and 12 btc. I haven't touched anything on the carb yet. Hoping people here could point me in the right direction of stuff to try before i start messing things up on my own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96B4xxeu-M&feature=youtu.be

for the convenience of all, here's a proper link

BTW, the tach looked pretty steady to me. How's the health of your engine and what prop are your running. Did you connect up the shop tach to confirm what the tach is telling you in the boat>

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 2:08pm
the engine has 800 hours and the compression was good 3 years ago...

Sorry for the poor camera work, i should narrate what i'm doing a bit: at 18 seconds and 30 seconds and 47 seconds i bring the throttle past 3200 rpm. I back down to below 3200 rpm after it bounces around for awhile. what i'm feeling in the boat and hearing in the engine matches the tach, pretty confident that's not the issue.

Also brainard thanks for always answering my questions on this board. still waiting for the day my 2001 turns into a g23, but this site has always kept me on the lake!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 8:24pm
That is about where the seconadries are supposed to open up - you might want to verify that next. If they are not operational, time for a carb rebuild.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 10:38pm
well here's an update. I took out the ignition module to take a look at the mechanism. Looking inside, I found a broken spring. Below are pics:

I went to the auto parts store and got a mr gasket advance spring kit. I just put in 2 mediums, i have no idea why the PO had put in this second giant spring that's broke in the pic. My guess is the timing was advancing too much causing the boat to stall or just all the way advanced as soon as i turned it on. Now for the sad part - i don't know if the fix worked. I tried starting up the boat and of course it will barely idle. I grab my timing light and the timing is way off. I adjusted by ear a bit, am starting to point the gun, and then the pick up coil wire goes into the belts and is torn to smithereens. classic hah. decided to cut my losses and stop for the day.   next time at the cabin is friday and will be going up with a new ignition light. will try to post some updates next sunday, fingers crossed this finally gets things running right!!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 4:04pm
I agree with Chris on checking secondary operation.

Actually, not sure why, but those springs are supposed to be sized unequally... at least on a Prestolite Edit: distributor. Here is a set from Nautiqueparts:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/distributorsprings.aspx
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:56pm
he is revving it with no load. the secondaries should not be opening up with no load. i followed his first forum and wondered what he was up too with the problem.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:32pm
It is a prestolite distributor, has the clip down cap. Great catch. Ordered the correct springs. we'll see what happens friday. Anything else i should try checking guys??

EDIT: I also am unable to get above 3200 RPMs in neutral.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 12:45am
I feel you are most likely on the right track with it being an ignition, tuneup issue.

That being said, quick check, is your carb's choke plate opening all the way?
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2012 at 10:24pm
update, problem is still not fixed even with new springs.

The only 2 things i can think of is my distributor/timing chain is bad or my carb is tuned incorrectly. I didn't lake test to see if the secondaries were opening. I think i'm going to give up and bring it to the boat mechanic tomorrow because i don't know if i'm ready to throw a $400 distributor at this thing hoping it magically gets fixed.

Here's a vid, you can see the tach bounce around at 3000 RPM. I get kind of nervous doing WOT in my driveway so i apologize for the very quick video. I haven't tried a spare tach, but qualitatively in the water and by ear i can feel the RPMs changing and believe it's correct.

http://youtu.be/I8-aJOhnMx4

Video
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2012 at 1:31am
How about plugs and wires? Cap and rotor?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2012 at 1:37am
You cant sit in the driveway on a hose and have the secondaries open.Take it out on the water see how many rpm's it runs and if it still dont go past 3200 have someone manually check to see if they are opening while your still going.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by SN2001fan SN2001fan wrote:

is my distributor/timing chain is bad Video

You can check the timing chain easily by watching the dizzy rotor, while turning the crank back & forth. If you can turn the crank without the rotor reacting immediately, the chain is worn out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

he is revving it with no load. the secondaries should not be opening up with no load. i followed his first forum and wondered what he was up too with the problem.

Ahh, I was wondering why after servicing my carb the secondaries still weren't fueling..   
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic