Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition Switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SnakeDoctor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeDoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Switch
    Posted: August-05-2012 at 12:57am
Hey Guys,

Just a quick Question. My father want's to always leave the Ignition Switch pushed in on our 1998 Ski Nautique and while the light isn't on unless the key is turned I just wanted to know if there's anything wrong with this.

Thanks
Nic
1998 Ski Nautique Open Bow
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:57am
Im sure the 98s and the 86s probably are not wired that differently. I leave my ignition switch in all the time. Im still a newbie so I could be wrong..but without power I dont see it being a problem.
SnakeDoctor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeDoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 4:00pm
Alright thanks Pepa, just wanted to check!
1998 Ski Nautique Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:58pm
My Auto bilge isn't "armed" unless I have that ignition breaker pushed in along with the auto bilge. Also, the clock stops when that breaker is off.

I guess it's whatever you like better.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:53am
Repeated use of that breaker will have you bummed out at some point....

Leave it alone!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 1:57am
I leave mine in because it fails to make connection if it's used a lot. It stays in. I can still get replacements. All my breakers will be new next season.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 10:18am
It's a circuit breaker and not a switch. It's for overload protection and not to turn something on or off. I agree with leaving it on. I also agree that repeated use will not do it any good. They are not the best quality/type around.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:29am
I put a red battery disconnect between my block and negetive cable. Works great just turn it off when you pull the plug out of the boat and it's always charged when you come back.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I put a red battery disconnect between my block and negetive cable. Works great just turn it off when you pull the plug out of the boat and it's always charged when you come back.

Great idea! Do you have a pic of yours and where its located?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:30pm
I can get one. I just soldered ends on a very short cable to go between the switch and block then attached original cable to the other side. I think I picked it up at a local parts store. It's the style you see on the rear of race cars but it has a removable key so I guess it could add a security factor but then the bilge pump would not be powered up if it was in the water. I kill it any time it goes on the trailer or the lift. All the new boats have under dash switches that kill all power.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's a circuit breaker and not a switch. It's for overload protection and not to turn something on or off. I agree with leaving it on.

While I only turn my IGN breaker off once a year (ask Chris how confused I was when my dash was dead after he shut it off on me!), all of the other accessories (blower/bilge/lights/etc) all use the same style breaker in all boats from ~'85-99. So they are intended to be used as switches, as well as protection.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:04pm
On an 87 (mine) the ignition breaker is the main feed for every other circuit run thru the other half dozen breakers. Open that up and nothing will work in the boat, including your bilge pumps, if you leave the boat in the water. It sort of a misnomer, it should probably be called the "MAIN" breaker or something similar, it has nothing to do with the actual ignition system, or even the key switch, although the little red light next to it (above it on some dashes) won't light up until the key switch is in run. The igntion and starter system is actually fed power from the breaker on the engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

The igntion and starter system is actually fed power from the breaker on the engine.

Not quite.

mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Your right theres a double feed line coming of the IGN breaker, one side feeds all the other breakers, and the other feeds the ignition switch, horn and clock. Hard to see on the original wiring diagram, but its there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic