NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bringing a chrysler 318 back to life

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He doesn't have a Cuda though.

Gary,
You are correct. I should have gone back to the first post and refreshed my failing memory!

I agree with Tim that the 12.5 diameter CNC would be fine. With the added aff rake that gives the hull clearance needed.

Gary,
What prop are you running giving you the hull rash?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 8:23pm
I love all the talk about the chryslers. My 318 has been nothing but fun so far. Everyone loves to hear the rumble. I raced a 2011 AXIS wakeboard boat the other day and after a slower start, took him on the top end. Oh the manly motörhead in me was fairly excited.    The Chrysler is a strong and fun pull.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,

I have a 12x13 OJ now Pete and never had anything bigger other than pitch. The rash might have been there before I got it. Only really looked closely under there a few years ago,as I have been putting off sanding and buffing the bottom
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 5:37pm
Thomas,

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I've already left for the sandbox so I won't be taking you up on that. I do appreciate all the great info though. The nice thing is that I have internet access so I can keep getting more and more information about what I need to do and learn.

Does anyone recommend a certain company for the cooling impellers? That is something I definitely want to replace.

Pete,

Haven't received a response from the email I sent to the folks at Race City Marine yet, I figure I'll just ring them up when I'm back stateside. I appreciate the advice about the prop.

-Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 6:22pm
Mike,
Jamestown Distributors is my source for OEM impellers We have gotten reports that the Chinese copies do not work in certain pumps. They also have a great cross reference chart with all the dimensions. They also have the minor and major rebuild kits.

PM reidp via the site and I'm sure he will respond to your needs and send you to the correct people at Race City.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary,

I have a 12x13 OJ now Pete and never had anything bigger other than pitch. The rash might have been there before I got it. Only really looked closely under there a few years ago,as I have been putting off sanding and buffing the bottom

Gary,
My new OJ 12 x 14 came in last week. It's the replacement for the OJ that's on the Tique that my son trashed. I'll be sending the bad one back to Eric at OJ to see what he can do with it. I have not seen it yet so my daughters description should be interesting. She, of course will exaggerate anything her brother did!!!    Since I will not be going up till the end of August, Charlie (brady) or Mark (laurel lake skier) will be putting it on for me. The valve grinding compound is already in the box even though Charlie told me Mark had some!!

The 12 x 14 works great on the Tique. The WOT RPM is about 4400 to 4500. Even though Tim suggested going to a 12 x 13, in my case, I do not want the RPM's to go any higher - I could handle it but with my son I would be worried about higher RPM's. I have nightmares about seeing the Tique being pulled in and then looking at a rod though the side of the block!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 8:23pm
I know how that goes Pete. I have managed to break some of my Dads stuff over the years! A couple of years ago he told me to drive his car to work once and awhile when he was gone for the winter. Drove in on a nice day,went to go home car won't start,fuel pump went out. I quit driving it. My 12x13 OJ runs at wot 4200,my 12x14 Federal runs 4300
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 7:09am

My new OJ 12 x 14 came in last week. It's the replacement for the OJ that's on the Tique that my son trashed.

The 12 x 14 works great on the Tique. The WOT RPM is about 4400 to 4500. Even though Tim suggested going to a 12 x 13, in my case,

The new OJ got up north and Mark (laurel lake skier) was great. He made it over to the lift yesterday and installed (and lapped) the prop on. However, the report back is the shaft is pretty tight!! It sounds like my son got the strut too! So, I do have some work to do when I get up there the last week of August. Damn!! My son say's he'll pay for the prop but just does not understand what it takes with my time having to go through the process of a potentially bent strut and of course the alignment. I guess this is just part of raising kids!

BTW, Tim, Mark tells me the OJ that came off the Tique is marked as a 12x15! I did get the 12x14 and know you mentioned getting the 12x13. I'll keep you informed about the revs and when Eric gets the damaged OJ back, I'll have him confirm the pitch.

Mark tells me one blade has a pretty big section torn open but complete and another blade tweaked back. I know Eric does wonders with props but I sure hope he can fix this one up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 10:03am
Talking with Billy the other day, I got educated about OJ. Billy being one of their distributors and of course having a long time relationship with them, he knows a lot about OJ's history. Eric at OJ is actually 3rd generation in the prop business! They actually have their own foundry and cast all their props and then of course finish them. Having your own foundry these days is unusual. The EPA has put all the small guys out of business. I'm happy to hear the OJ is still casting. This means he has up graded all of the emission standards in an attempt to maintain his own quality of the prop casting.

BTW, the old dirty foundry and all it's emissions is what put down Eric's dad and grandfather.

If anyone ever wants more info on OJ, give Eric a call. He certainly is a pro that has spent all of his life on the development of our props.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 10:11am
Pete - We need pictures!   It is time to teach your son alignment 101 too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:02am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Pete - We need pictures!   It is time to teach your son alignment 101 too!

Chris,
It's not that easy. Your son has a "mechanically inclined" side to him and mine has zero. It seems to be just one of the things that you are born with. I have tried all my life to get my son out in the shop/garage to do some bonding and educating but it's never worked. My last offer was to make some more wakeskates off the form I made for the one I made him. This may work but time will tell. The whole story goes plenty deeper and I will PM you on that.

The skate I made was 5 layers of 1/8" ply. The next skates I want to try 3 layers of ply and two layers of carbon graphite We'll see how it goes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mplante83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mplante83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 9:59pm
So I'm back from the sandbox and for whatever reason I was not able to log back into my old account or reactivate it so I've created a new profile. I've started digging into the motor and found out Pete that you were correct in one of the first post when you said it was probably a 273 instead of a 318. I was unable to find a place around here that will work on this old motor so I will be attempting it myself. I'm sure to have a lot of rookie questions to come.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 11:23pm
Welcome back Mike,and Thanks for your service. As I have said in the past more and more Chryslers seem to be surfacing no pun intended. Ask away many here can help.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mplante83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mplante83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 8:25pm
I've searched through a few of the impeller post and still have a very basic question...are the impellers supposed to come off the shaft easily? Mine seem to be in good shape but I can't get them to come off and not sure if I'm missing something. Also, I don't see where there were any seals before. I remember someone mentioning just putting glossy magazine paper in-between...good idea? Thanks. Trying to upload pictures but they are too large so I'll post some when I figure out how to resize.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 8:48pm
Mike,
The impellers can be tough to remove at times. It's the reason pullers are made specifically for the rubber impellers.

Some of the older RWP's covers did not have gaskets. The cover and body were machined precisely enough so it wasn't needed. However, a layer of glossy paper isn't going to hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mplante83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mplante83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 9:00pm
Thanks Gary.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic