Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6 Volt Generator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cobrabill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Volt Generator
    Posted: July-14-2012 at 7:32pm
I have a 1941 Chris Craft runabout with a 60 hp engine. The engine and generator were rebuilt 5 years ago, but the boat has been in storage about 3 years. The engine runs great, but the generator doesn't appear to be charging. Any suggestions?
Bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 7:50pm
Why don't you think it's charging? What is the amp meter telling you? On a fully charged battery, you may not see a charge. The 6 volt generator uses a "third pole" cut in. That's the little box on the generator. It's really a relay. Ohm out the coil to make sure its not open.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cobrabill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:19pm
Thx. for your quick response. Amp meter shows slight discharge when the engine is running. Battery has been in storage for 3 years, so I'm sure it's not fully charged. Pulled the relay cover off and contact points are open. When I push them shut, amp meter shows about a 20 amp discharge. Appears to be only one wire coming off the generator, and I believe this runs up to the amp meter. Wiring was done elsewhere, so I'm not sure it's right.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:22pm
Open up the generator and locate the "3rd pole". Clean up it's commutator and the brush and see what happens.

Yes, you will only have one wire from the generator up to the amp meter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cobrabill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 9:02pm
Thx again -- will try first thing tomorrow.
Bill
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by cobrabill cobrabill wrote:

I have a 1941 Chris Craft runabout with a 60 hp engine.

How about a picture of this beauty?

We love the history too - how long have you had it, where has it been all these years, etc.

Pete will get you going (no pun intended Pete).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
cobrabill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 8:55pm
Pulled the cover; brushes and commutator look good. Unfortunately, battery still isn't charging. Think I'll pull the generator and have it bench tested. Will keep you posted and include a photo soon. Thanks again for all your help!

PS: Second Chance was delivered June 12, 1941 to a gentleman in Jackson, MI. I've owned her for about 20 years and believe I am about the fourth owner. I have all the original paperwork and she's been in storage for most of the time I've owned her. I'm now retired and it's time to get her going on all the great inland lakes in northern Michigan!
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 10:03pm
Bill,
Did you Ohm out the coil on the cut out relay like I mentioned? One more thing is to make sure the cut out is grounded real good to the generator case. They are know to get rust between the two.

If you take it in for a bench test, I hope it's an older auto electric shop that has been around for awhile. The kid at Autozone will not know what he's looking at!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic