Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sticky Bendix?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticky Bendix?
    Posted: July-10-2012 at 7:00pm
Folks,

When I start my boat I can hear the bendix (or whatever you are supposed to call it) still engaged.

Any tips for this problem?

Motor is a 351 Std R. 1996 vintage.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 7:54pm
How long is it staying stuck? Make sure you still don't have battery power feeding the starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 12:00am
do you mean it still sounds like its cranking? if so then you have a sticky ignition(key) or a sticky solenoid, both are unlikely. If you mean you just hear the gear(bendix)getting contacted by the flywheel then you have a weak or broken spring, which is much more common especially if you've never had issues before this. Quickest way to check is to pull off the starter and pull the bendix out. It should snap back into the housing fairly solid/quickly. If it is slow to slide back or has zero tension then look at the condition of the spring and check for gunk around the bendix or the shaft is slides on. 90% of the time the spring is broken in half and spins in on itself so it doesn't provide enough force to keep the bendix in the housing, I've had a few where the spring falls out completely letting the bendix slide back and forth freely. When working properly the spring is supposed to provide enough force to keep the bendix in the housing until the spin speed of the motor overcomes it with centripetal force, throwing the bendix out to the end of the shaft to engage the flywheel.      

Go To 1:27and it'll show ya the basic idea. notice how it snaps back quickly, with a bad/sticky spring it will be sluggish. Autozone and the likes can test it for ya basically like in the video, or you can do the above and pull on the bendix yourself to test the spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic