Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Enamel on New Manifolds (PCM 351) Burning Off?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TheSpleen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enamel on New Manifolds (PCM 351) Burning Off?
    Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:47pm
Any thoughts on this? I replaced my manifolds about six months ago, and ever since then I've smelled something sort of burning (only been out a few times, though), but nothing seemed wrong (because I wasn't looking close enough).

So this is what I found - the paint on the manifolds is burning off, right around the exhausts. The engine and risers don't seem to be running hotter than they should. It looks like this is happening equally on both sides. If this was going to happen somewhere it makes sense that it would be here... But this still seems sort of strange. Anyone else have this happen? Does this suggest somethings wrong with the paint job, or my engine, or is this just normal?

Thanks,
Jared

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:52pm
Normal! There is no cooling water in the manifold runners in that location... they get HOT. You will likely be smelling that paint burn off for quite some time, unfortunately.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:55pm
Jared,
What you are seeing is normal. That elbow section at each port is not water jacketed and all the hot exhaust making that right angle turn will get the manifold hot at each.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 1:01pm
It's that Fram oil filter that's causing it!

JK. Good explanations above.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

It's that Fram oil filter that's causing it!

Wow, I missed it! Why do you have that Fram on the engine? I guess you haven't been on site enough reading what a piece of junk they are!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TheSpleen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 1:59pm
Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses - that's what I figured, except I wondered why would they paint that area - probably it's just easier for them to not have to mask it off or whatever, but then I wonder woudn't it be worth it for them to take the extra time to do that, to not have this happen (or maybe just stick a note in the package saying that's going to happen - but maybe that should have been obvious to me).
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 10:28am
If they didn't paint the whole thing you would be getting brand new rusty manifolds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic